Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Sam ERS flat tire service...

I have had a question on my mind regarding Good Sam Emergency Road Service and a flat tire. I don't carry a spare...at least not yet.

Here is what I wrote to Good Sam ERS:
I have the GOOD SAM EMERGENCY ROAD SERVICE. What happens if I blow a tire and I don't have a spare for my motorhome? Would Good Sam buy a tire and bring it to the scene and mount it?

Answer: Answer is NO. They WILL change the tire with the RV'ers spare which has to be already mounted on a wheel. They WILL NOT bring a tire to the scene. They will NOT mount a tire onto a wheel.

One of the local RV dealers told me just the opposite, so I am glad that I got the info directly from Good Sam. I understand, from reading the forums, that the type of tire and wheel on my RV has to be ordered because it is not commonly available in stock.

I thought others with Good Sam might find this info important. Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I have had a question on my mind regarding Good Sam Emergency Road Service and a flat tire. I don't carry a spare...at least not yet.

Here is what I wrote to Good Sam ERS:
I have the GOOD SAM EMERGENCY ROAD SERVICE. What happens if I blow a tire and I don't have a spare for my motorhome? Would Good Sam buy a tire and bring it to the scene and mount it?

Answer: Answer is NO. They WILL change the tire with the RV'ers spare which has to be already mounted on a wheel. They WILL NOT bring a tire to the scene. They will NOT mount a tire onto a wheel.

One of the local RV dealers told me just the opposite, so I am glad that I got the info directly from Good Sam. I understand, from reading the forums, that the type of tire and wheel on my RV has to be ordered because it is not commonly available in stock.

I thought others with Good Sam might find this info important. Joe
Hi Joe

I had good sam for years and didn't know that . My other mh had a mounted spare.

I now have coach net ( fmca ) and no spare ( I plan to get unmounted spare ), so I called them when I saw your thread. They said they would bring a tire or have someone change unmounted tire, but there would be extra labor and parts( cost of tire ) if any that I would be responsible for .

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Hi Joe

I had good sam for years and didn't know that . My other mh had a mounted spare.

I now have coach net ( fmca ) and no spare ( I plan to get unmounted spare ), so I called them when I saw your thread. They said they would bring a tire or have someone change unmounted tire, but there would be extra labor and parts( cost of tire ) if any that I would be responsible for .

Cliff
Do you have CoachNet emergency road service or the whole warranty? I wouldn't mind carrying a spare tire, but I didn't want to carry a mounted spare. If CoachNet has a road service that would mount a spare tire, I would want to switch. I don't need the warranty because I already have one. Joe
Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Hi Joe

Cliff
Joe. It's the ERS. They said that they would send the truck and I would be responsible for the labor to mount spare on rim. Call them at 800-273-1110.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with Coach Net was they sent a truck and a tire, just in case the problem with my tire was not fixable. In fact, it was a local tire dealer who went their service truck. Under any circumstances, Coach Net only pays for the service call...you pay any labor/service fee's for the roadside assistance on site....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

We had GS, a flat, and no spare, 22.5" tires. Called GS and a disaster ensued. They do not necessarily send Commercial Tire Service providers (CTS) to deal w/full size tires. So if you have a mounted spare, they can usually change the wheel and pump up the spare if needed.

SO, if you need CTS don't subscribe to GS. Get CoachNet. CTS will assess the situation and respond appropriately with a "traveler tire" (i.e. loaner tire on wheel that will be swapped out when you get the new tire on your wheel) if needed; this is what they do for over-the-road truckers when appropriate. We've had GS over 25 years and this was our first call for service. We won't be GS customers after this year's membership runs out.

GS can deal w/cars, truck campers, probably most class C motorhomes. But if you need CTS (22.5" tires, or 19.5" tires w/475ft-lb lug nuts, you are wasting money on Good Sam as they can't deliver. In fairness I should say, in some areas they may have CTS on retainer and may be able to respond to this problem (they say they do everywhere, but that's sales blather as our experience proved). For us, we had to locate the services for tire mounting ourselves, go get a new tire, tell the meathead that showed up what to do and how to do it, and in the end GS slowed us down by about 90 minutes dealing w/a tire emergency over handling the whole incident ourselves.
YMMV.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How do you get hold of Coach Net. I looked them up on the internet and suprise suprise, no phone number.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
CoachNet is 800 273 1110...I have had them for several years, and used them on 3 or 4 occassions, and always was pleased with their service, and the service of who they had respond....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks teofff and Joe,

I have Camping World Road Care, they have been very good although I have never had a tire problem, I too have 22.5's and no spare. Time to get this figured out before I have a bad day !!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #10

We have 19.5 tires. I always carry a spare as some places a tire and wheel are just too hard to come by. A minor inconveinience vs a multi day ordeal.

I have had camping world roadside assistance for 10 years and have used them several times over the years. Twice for tire problems that I remember. One was great, one was so so. But in each case, mounting our spare and stowing the bad tire was done and we were on our way.

A spare tire ishould be standard safety equipment for travel. If your coach builder cost engineers out the spare, then you still need to procure one or suffer the consequesnces of delay.

Also, I can assure you that mounting and balancing a tire on a roadside service call is far more expensive than getting it done when you buy tires in a shop. And even with roadside service plans, that cost is to your account.

For what its worth, GS and Camping World are pretty much the same service, administered by the same company under slightly different terms and costs.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
teofff & Joe,

Just got my $99 membership. That 22.5 deal got me thinking. Don't need to sit on the side of the road pissed off. Thank's for all of your information.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #12

I spent the winter in Panama city Fl. and just before I left OH for the winter I had six new tires installed on my 2002 Bounder, after three months in FL I did check all the tires before starting back home, all was fine, I got about sixty miles and stopped to check every thing out, and my left rear out side tire was low almost flat. I do have Good Sam Emergency road side severs, it was on Sunday and they did do a good job of getting me help. but they only pay for the mileage not the labor. my problem was I have valve stem extenders one had worked lose and was letting the air out, I had no way of getting the wheel cover off, so all the guy had to do was take the cover off and and remove the extender and pump up the tire, out of pocket 85 dollars, lesson learned priceless. wcombs34
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
yesterday in the mail I recieved a GS RV ERS and I was about to send it when my wife remind me that we have this on our other insurance, so after reading this and my wife statement I am not sending it in, also I carry a spare on the rim, my reason, is if I have a flat on the steer, did I damage the rim??,
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #14

GS/ERS

We have a class A with 19.5 wheels. We had a side wall blow out on the rear inside tire at Fort Wilderness. We called GS/ERS about 11:00 PM the service truck arrived. He had a new tire, and mounted it on our wheel. We did not pay for the service call. We did pay over $500.00 for the new tire and labor. A high price for that tire. Then on another trip we had a blow out on the other side inside tire. This time we called and asked that the spare replace the blowen tire. A very professional service tech came out and changed the tire in a matter of mins. So far I give GS/ERS a B, a B because it took along time for the repair, and the cost of the new tire.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote