Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot04 View Post
Well Good Sam has come through in the end. They have agreed to pay charges for those things authorized, even the AC which was a disputed item since the inspector didn't come out to witness the cause for repair. Total paid out is amounting to about what I paid in premiums. That plus what I would have owed anyway and the deductible covers the charges.
I have to say their Facilitator Team was excellent. Too bad the claims folks have different guidelines for customer service. Deny Deny Deny is pretty much the industry standard for insurance companies.
So we came out of this whole and we're happy. Thank you all for your posts and suggestions.
Congrats to you!! we are hours away from deciding to renew or forget about ESP with United States Warranty Corp. Have not had bad experiences with them just having tough time opening wallet.......
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot04 View Post
Well Good Sam has come through in the end. They have agreed to pay charges for those things authorized, even the AC which was a disputed item since the inspector didn't come out to witness the cause for repair. Total paid out is amounting to about what I paid in premiums. That plus what I would have owed anyway and the deductible covers the charges.
I have to say their Facilitator Team was excellent. Too bad the claims folks have different guidelines for customer service. Deny Deny Deny is pretty much the industry standard for insurance companies.
So we came out of this whole and we're happy. Thank you all for your posts and suggestions.
Thank you for the update, in many cases (like this one) the out come is almost if not more important than the actual incident.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #31

Good Sam has become Camping World's club under disguise as far as I can gather. Ever see the newsletters of late. Every article directs you to products they sell.
Kind of like Car and Driver being taken over by an automobile manufacturer.
I will not be renewing my membership.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #32

currently checking on Sams 2 yr ESP on Microlite 21 TT. However, I still have another yr on most appliances. Think I will wait a yr, save $ in bank for later.
blingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #33

meant to ask/ any ideas on ESP for TT? SAMS had 286.00 yr for 2 yr. 200 deductible. Wholesale was over 1000!!!!!
blingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #34

Kinda long reading but here's everything you ever wanted to know about Good Sam:

Good Sam Enterprises (formerly Affinity Group or AGI) is a provider of membership clubs, as well as subscription-based products, services and publications, targeted toward recreational vehicle and other outdoor enthusiasts in the United States. Additionally, the company owns Camping World, a leading RV-related specialty retailer and RV.net an RV-focused website.
The company is the composite of several distinct businesses acquired through a leveraged buildup in the 1980s and 1990s and traces its earliest predecessors back to 1935.
The company is based in Ventura, California with major operations in Englewood, Colorado and is 97% owned by private equity investor Stephen Adams.

History

AGI’s antecedents date back to the 1935, with the first publication of the Woodall's Travel Trailer Magazine and the 1941 publication of .,[1] followed by the publication of the first Woodall’s directory in 1948. The Good Sam Club was founded in 1966, the same year that the first Camping World location opened in Bowling Green, KY. Coast to Coast Resorts (“Coast to Coast”) and the Golf Card were introduced in 1972 and 1974, respectively.[2][3]

On December 23, 1988 the direct predecessor of AGI acquired a company called American Bakeries Company, owned by investor Stephen Adams, for approximately $138 million.[4] Adams was a noted private equity investor in the 1980s completing rollups of billboard assets to form Adams Outdoor Advertising and he also owns or has owned various banking, bottling, publishing as well as television and radio companies.[5][6] At the time of the merger, the sole operating assets of American Bakeries Company were TL Enterprises, Inc. and Camp Coast to Coast, Inc. These entities consisted of what is today the Good Sam Club, Coast to Coast, AGI’s subscription-based products and services business and the Company’s RV-related publications, with the exception of the Woodall’s titles.[7][8]
From 1990 through 1997 the Company made a number of significant acquisitions that expanded AGI’s scale and presence. In 1990, the Company acquired Golf Card International, Inc. for approximately $18 million. Subsequently, in May 1994, AGI acquired Woodall Publishing Company, L.P. and Woodall World of Travel, L.P. (collectively Woodall’s) for approximately $11.5 million.
In October 1993, AGI completed a leveraged recapitalization consisting of a $50.0 million credit facility and a $120.0 million of 11˝% AGI senior subordinated notes due 2003. As part of the recapitalization, Stephen Adams increased his fully diluted ownership from approximately 71% to approximately 97%.
In 1995, AGI acquired San Francisco Thrift and Loan (founded in 1982) and the company’s headquarters were relocated to Ventura, California. In 1997 the bank was renamed Affinity Bank and in 1999, AGI transferred ownership to Affinity Bank Holdings, Inc. a separate entity controlled by Adams[9]
U.S. bank regulators closed Affinity Bank of Ventura, California on August 28, 2009. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp said Affinity had $1 billion in assets and about $922 million in deposits. Pacific Western Bank of San Diego agreed to assume all the deposits of Affinity. Affinity Bank had 10 branches. The FDIC estimates Affinity's failure will cost its deposit insurance fund $254 million.
In March 1997, as part of the Company’s $130.0 million offering of the holding company notes due 2007, AGI acquired Camping World, Inc. and Ehlert Publishing for approximately $123.0 million and $22.3 million, respectively.[10][11][12]
Subsequently, the Company focused on integrating its operations and repaying indebtedness. In October 1998, the Company issued $200.0 million of senior secured credit facilities to repay its then existing senior credit facility as well as the AGI Subordinated Notes, and in December 2001 the Company completed a $52.3 million property sale / leaseback transaction, the proceeds of which were used to repay senior indebtedness.

On August 15, 2009, AGI failed to make a $6.2 million interest payment to bondholders, and Standard & Poors subsequently lowered AGI's credit rating to D. Standard & Poor reported that they had taken this view because bondholders will be receiving less than par value for the notes and because of the company's highly leveraged financial profile, weak operating outlook, and limited liquidity given the near-term maturity of its senior credit facility. In May 2011, AGI announced that it was changing the company's name to Good Sam Enterprises.[13]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Good Sam has become Camping World's club under disguise as far as I can gather. Ever see the newsletters of late. Every article directs you to products they sell.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #35

Good reading. I have just about had enough of the multi-page advertisement they send called Motorhome. I do not think I will renew and I have also given up on Camping World as a reasonably priced location for products. I will continue to get what I need over the net and us CW only if something is required immediately, which is the only way I can justify their higher prices.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Patriot4, glad this has worked out for you, or at least it appears it has. I have had GS in the past and never had a problem, but problems do happen. I think a lot of times the real problems are from the people at GS [moderator edit]. Thankfully many are good, honest folks. [moderator edit] I think Lemonis is trying to turn these negatives around. And as far as CW stores go, in every case I have seen that things were bad it was poor management at the individual store and/or a customer that did not have expectations met.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Both are(and have been for many years) wholly-owned by Affinity Group, of which, Marcus Lemonus is CEO. He consolidated them into one company for DBA purposes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote