Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Good Sam ESP is a Ripoff

Just got off the phone with these guys. WE had a policy for about 10 months paying $245 per month. In month 5 we had a hydraulic hose failure and a busted cab AC. They authorized the repair for the hose failure after much back and forth between them and the dealer. They then insisted an inspector look at the AC. HE showed up and informed them they would need to disassemble the AC in his presence and to reschedule an inspection. That was in August and by November they still hadn't returned despite numerous calls. Then in January I got a letter from them stating they were cancelling me as my costs had exceeded my premiums (literally by a couple dollars).
We fought with them and so did the dealer. They have now refused to cover the original authorized charges. I wound up eating the entire $3782 bill PLUS their premiums. These guys are a ripoff. Next stop BBB and the Texas Insurance Commission. I want my premiums back and think I have a good case to get them though I will probably have to sue them to get it. Fine. I'd sooner spend another $2500 on legal fees than to let them get away with this. Buyer beware!
Patriot04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Insurance or just installment repair payments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot04 View Post
Then in January I got a letter from them stating they were cancelling me as my costs had exceeded my premiums (literally by a couple dollars).
If they only cover up to the amount of the premiums paid what is the point in having a policy at all? That is crazy. That would just amount to paying for your repairs on the installment plan, but if you don't have any claims then they win and I'm pretty certain that if your premiums are more than your claims they sure don't send any money back to you.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was that whole amount for a roof AC repair?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

We never buy a ESP for anything from anybody. We keep our money for these kinds of expenses. And we have yet to have a claim denied!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
You hear horror stories like this one and then you hear about people that swear by their ESP... For $245/month, they should be kissing your butt!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #6

OTOH, We purchased the Good Sam extended service contract when we purchased our MH. The ESC cost $4,800 for 3 years for our 2000 Winnebago from Camping World. To date the ESC has paid just over $4,000 for repairs covered by the ESC during the first year. Are we happy with GS ESC, you bet!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

It was the CAB AC. The whole repair cost was $2495 but it was heavily discounted due to the situation with GS ESP.
I should mention this was for a 2006 Revolution in immaculate condition.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #8

Good for you. We would have hoped that would be the case here but unfortunately they take a dim view of claims in the first year.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

Yes thats the rub. I got cancelled for exceeding the premiums but then they refused to pay the original authorized charges. The result? They pocketed $2450 for doing nothing.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why don't you post this over on their forum RV

They monitor that forum
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

As they say, there are always two sides to a story, but this doesn't sound too good and I'm waiting to hear how this issue turns out. Was there something buried deep in the fine print that allowed this?. The OP's story really gives me pause about the entire "Affinity Group". That is, Good Sam, Camping World, Motorhome magazine, and all of the other various businesses.

A last thought: send a description of the issue to Motorhome magazine's, "Hot Line" and see if they print it - along with a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot04 View Post
Yes thats the rub. I got cancelled for exceeding the premiums but then they refused to pay the original authorized charges. The result? They pocketed $2450 for doing nothing.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

I also had a problem with GS. And when they refused my claim I immediately cancelled my policy. Then they started calling to see what my problem was. Everyone who called didn't even know what had happened, so I would tell them to do a little research to find why I did what I did and call back. After 6mos. the calls stopped, which was fine with me. I always vote with my feet, and whenever asked about my opinion of GS, I say there are plenty other ESP plans out there that run circles around GS.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I also had a problem with GS. And when they refused my claim I immediately cancelled my policy. Then they started calling to see what my problem was. Everyone who called didn't even know what had happened, so I would tell them to do a little research to find why I did what I did and call back. After 6mos. the calls stopped, which was fine with me. I always vote with my feet, and whenever asked about my opinion of GS, I say there are plenty other ESP plans out there that run circles around GS.
Which ones are better? And what makes them better?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #14

Patriot4, who performed the repairs? I take my MH to Camping World, the ESC never argues with them, and, they knock $50 off my $100 deductible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote