Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a used DP about 6 months ago. In fact, we bought it from my wife's parents, so I know how well it was maintained and cared for. We still decided to buy a GSEW since the coach is a 2002 model. Well about a month ago, or Engine Control Module (the engine's brain) died. The part alone was about $1500. Add in labor, programming the ECM, etc. and the total cost was about $2400. We just got a check in the mail Friday for over $1500 of that. We ended up paying more than our $500 deductible out of pocket (GS didn't reimburse for all of the labor - apparently the guy who fixed it charges more than GS will reimburse). Anyway, what we got back out of GS more than paid for the warranty this year.

I hate paying for extended warranties. I also hate paying for health, auto, home, and life insurance, but those are things we have to pay for and hope we never use. In this case, I'm glad I got the GS warranty. The piece of mind for me is worth it. Just my opinion.

Hope that helps you out.

2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Camping World has offered us an exteneded warranty but so far I have not decided to take it. It does not cover any chassis items because that would be covered by Workhorse. I called about bringing the MH in was told that they would not make any adjustments and would only fix things that are broke. From my past experience with our trailer allmost everything that broke that was expensive was covered by a 3rd party. Our ac uniit was replaced, our slideout pump unit replaced, refridge had a recall. The only expensive item that I paid to have fixed was hotwater tank element which I could of fixed. In my opinion most times you are better off saving the money. The problem is that we never save the money, we spend it on something else.

Rodger & Brenda, our big babys, Abbie (Irish Wolfhound) and Jack (Otter Hound)
06 Keystone Challenger 35RFQ, 7.3L 03 F350 Dually
rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
I may have to rethink the warranty after reading about Lippert not covering any problems with leveling hydraulics. I don't know if these warranty's cover any leveling systems.
Rodger & Brenda, our big babys, Abbie (Irish Wolfhound) and Jack (Otter Hound)
06 Keystone Challenger 35RFQ, 7.3L 03 F350 Dually
rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to http://www.goodsamesp.com/whatiscovered.aspx. The contract is there for you to decide. You'll notice seals and gaskets are covered for units 7 years old or newer and 70,000 miles or less. I have had and purchased another good sam esp recently for my new mh. Three previous claims have been paid hassle free. Two of which were in Alaska. They gave the repair facility their credit card to pay for my repairs minus my ded.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a gently used 06 allegro bay in april and bought the gs esp for peace of mind. I chose 500 deductible. The policy was less than 600 a year. I am not niave to think the policy will pay every problem i have. I bought it in case i have a catastrophic break down, say engine or trans.

I had a warranty experience with my previous allegro bay diesel pusher. When i purchased it, it was 5 years old. I opted for the one year policy for almost 2 grand. That was the wife's idea. I was glad i listened to her. Six months later, the rear main seal started leaking bad. The procedure involved jacking up the rear of the motor home, removing a brace that was welded on and removing the transmission. The dealership i was used worked 100% with me. The warranty people wanted me to pay up front and they would re imburse me. The dealer called me and when i told him to tell them no, they came up with a credit card to pay my bill. To make a long story short, the dealer was great and because of them i got my unit repaired at little cost to me, which ended up being more than i had paid for the warranty.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #20

If you are considering an Alpine, I would forego the Good Sam plan as it does not cover radiators. I have not had any radiator issues, but some Alpine owners have and it is a very expensive fix. You may want to search the Alpine Owners forum.

I opted for for an extended warranty on our coach (5yr/50k miles) but purchased it online. The exact same warranty offered by the dealer was available online for 1/3 the price. There is a significant amount of profit to the dealer on extended warranties.

Jim & Sandy
2011 Discovery 36J
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote