Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Good Sam Extended Warranty

As a servicing dealer, we have seen many legitimate claims being denied from this company. The latest problems are the parts pricing allowance from this company. I have had some RV convection microwave replacements required, that the claims represenative says is available on the internet for a fraction of the real cost. If you try to buy these parts from the internet sources they recommend, the companies are either out of business or a total scam (including no warranty, and yet Good Sam requires me to provide a warranty). The next big problem is Workhorse parts are quite expensive to start with. The latest issue is that this companies list pricing for Workhorse parts, is about half of my cost (including my 20% discount). I asked where they get their pricing, and the stated from Woprkhorse price sheet. I called several workhorse dealers, and they stated that Good Sam price sheet is less than they can obtain parts from workhorse. I even got a dealer name that they suggested. Guess what? The pricing was even higher than my local GM workhorse dealer. I called back and talked to a Supervisor, and she stated that is all they allow period and she supposedly checked for the latest pricing. My cost is over $1000. for the parts I need, and they will only allow $550.00. You should hear my unhappy customer. Servicing dealers generally will not sell parts at their cost. I would suggest BEWARE!! Always chec the exclusions on the contract and contact the BBB before commiting to a extended warranty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This is good information that the OP is providing. Recently, I received a quote for the GS Extended Service Plan because the extended warranty on our motor home is expiring soon. When reviewing the contact, it lists what they cover and what is excluded, however the contract says nothing of the cost of parts that would be used to fix a breakdown. Neither does it indicate that GS ESP could deny a claim based on the cost of parts. It does, however say that "preexisting conditions" is a basis for claim denial. That in itself is scary; how can someone know that a 8.1 Workhorse engine has a preexisting condition until it fails?

Our rig is going on 7 years old. We have taken good care of it, but I'm scared to death that major components like the engine, tranny or differential could fail and we end up with a $17,000.00 bill. Most other stuff is of less consequence. We're going to have to be real careful about this. Buyer beware!

Bob

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Trax View Post
As a servicing dealer, we have seen many legitimate claims being denied from this company. The latest problems are the parts pricing allowance from this company. I have had some RV convection microwave replacements required, that the claims represenative says is available on the internet for a fraction of the real cost. If you try to buy these parts from the internet sources they recommend, the companies are either out of business or a total scam (including no warranty, and yet Good Sam requires me to provide a warranty). The next big problem is Workhorse parts are quite expensive to start with. The latest issue is that this companies list pricing for Workhorse parts, is about half of my cost (including my 20% discount). I asked where they get their pricing, and the stated from Woprkhorse price sheet. I called several workhorse dealers, and they stated that Good Sam price sheet is less than they can obtain parts from workhorse. I even got a dealer name that they suggested. Guess what? The pricing was even higher than my local GM workhorse dealer. I called back and talked to a Supervisor, and she stated that is all they allow period and she supposedly checked for the latest pricing. My cost is over $1000. for the parts I need, and they will only allow $550.00. You should hear my unhappy customer. Servicing dealers generally will not sell parts at their cost. I would suggest BEWARE!! Always chec the exclusions on the contract and contact the BBB before commiting to a extended warranty.
I feel for you and your customer but Good Sam's extended warranty seems to always either find a way not to pay or pay so little that the customer gets a big bill. I use an independent RV service center where I trust the owner for reliable advice and when I was considering my extended warranty I asked for his advice. He said flat our "avoid Good Sam's because they are difficult to deal with and always look for ways not to pay a claim or pay so little that the customer has a hugh bill" and he has to deal with his unhappy customer. I did purchase an extended warranty and he has made several claims without any problems from my company and he tells me that I got one of the better ones. Good Sam's has a lot of exclusions and mine has very few, big difference in paying claims. Good Luck with your Good Sam's dealings and your soon to be unhappy customer.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

I am wondering how G/S ext warranty is on labor cost. The last Extended warranty I had, they used the flat rate manual for semi-trucks to repair Motor homes. Dealers said they cannot accept that condition. Motor homes are much more difficult to work on. Their labor cost almost doubles when it comes to running gear. Consequently I ended up having to pay almost as much as the warranty company did. I dropped them and funded my own warranty and have had no problem since. I have been lucky, but have save a ton of money doing so.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Good Sams is just a re-seller for Affinity Brokerage, INC.out of Denver which is an insurance policy, not a warranty policy. That's why Good Sams calls it a Extended Service Plan not a warranty plan
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #6

I bought my GS Extended Service Plan BECAUSE my mechanic recommended it. He has worked with them for years with generally good results. There have been a few 'discussions' one on parts cost specificly. Simple answer was to ask GS to procure and ship the part for the allowed price, if they cannot they cannot mandate the arbitrary price. They also are not required to use OEM parts. Industry standard replacements are allowed under the contract and if the owner wants OEM they need to pay the difference.

I have had one claim myself so far. The part was a Damon specific part and the cost well above what I considerd fair for the part. GS paid it anyway along with book rate for the hours to replace. I paid my deductable and GS paid the rest via credit card while I was checking out.

My mechanic has told me they have processed many claims with GS and most come out reasonably when the problem is straightforward parts replacement. GS does not pay for diagnostic time, don't even try.

They are an insurance company and are in the business of NOT paying money. You need to deal with them on thier terms and within the exact language of the contract. They are NOT in business to help you. Don't give them a reason to deny or a gray area to waffle in. Part x is broken, replacement cost is Y and labor is Z. That is the extent of the conversation. NOTHING MORE. Do not offer unrelated information or discussion.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Labor fees paid are reasonable once a claim is approved. The parts allowance can be a major problem, as well as what type of failure. Workhorse chassis part allowance is the worst I have ever seen. Exclusions usually state that general wear and tear and corrosion failures are not covered. One example is a engine has a failed piston ring. Worn rings are mot covered, but a cracked ring is. But next question is how did the ring crack? Answer: the motor either ingested something, or detonation from improperly tuned engine or fuel. Claim denied. Next problem: Transmission has failed and is supposedly covered. Clutches and seals are not covered. Guess what, the clutches are generally the failure in a transmission. Again claim denied. Another big issue is with failing RV companies many parts are obsolete, and quite extensive modifications are mecessary to make anothe part fit. This type of repair is not covered. At one time I has a slide out roller come apart. After inspection of the part it was determined that the retainer failed. The claims supervisor said this was an adjustment failure, so it was not covered. Claims are based on the claims represenatives discression of wording of the contract and of the service facility represenative. A few years ago Extended service contracts paid claims much better. Several years ago I believed from experience that CSP/ Good Sam was the best, bot now it seems they are the opposite. This forums should have a topic on extended warranty companies used, and what type of repairs were performed, with the end result. This topic seems to be a big issue.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #8

Extended warranty companies do get over zelous in denying claims, thats true. I can tell you that the above statements are not the norm for GS. My mechanic has a Discovery DP in the shop now for a failed Allison. GS has authorized the claim for several thousands of dollars. It was a straigh forward claim, over the phone.

There have been instances where GS sent a rep. One was for a failed radiator or aftercooler. (they were an assembly on that unit) and required removal of the entire rear cap. Total repiar cost was near $14k. They paid but it did take some discussions and the rep could not figure a cheaper way to repair either.

They do deny claims for owner failed maintanince. The worst that comes up on a regular basis unfortunatly is a 'dusted' turbocharger. This is dust and dirt ingestion from failed or improperly installed air filters. Its a straighforward denial and no way around it. Worse yet, the unit is flagged for future engine failure for the same cause. CHECK YOUR ENGINE AIR FILTER. Maintainance records are requested for failed engines. No records, no claim but for owners that did have resonable records the review was not overly severe, IE did not deny based on ten miles over an oil change limit or the like.

Workhorse parts pricing is an issue. When it comes up, have GS procure the part and ship it to the shop if they do not wish to pay the local prevailing rate. Do not tell GS they are wrong, just that the part cannot be purchased locally for the quoted price and have them procure it. They have and will. We also see the invoice and they paid more than the shop would have, but they did not admit to being wrong, which they will never do.

Again, its in how the claim is presented to the claims agent. Two different shops presenting the same failure to GS will not have the same payment result based on the way the claim was presented. The shop needs to learn well the language of the contract and work to its letter to be sucessful with this.

I am not saying GS is some sort of great insurance company, they do deny claims like all the others. Just saying that in the 20yrs experience of dealing with these companies, GS has the best track record of the companies still in business. They are still betting your premiums will be larger than your claims and on the whole, they are correct or would have been gone long ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question which one

Hey Buck62 - which one did you go with?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Take a look at my thread here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/foole...ite-74977.html
All of the parts and labor were covered by my ESP. The service center said they were pretty good about it.

My problem was how the plan was different on their web site compared to how mine actually was even though they were both "Gold".

I am also interested in where everyone that is less than happy with GS ends up going even if now we are considering just putting the money in the bank for future repairs.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote