Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Hi,I have a question mabee ya'll could help me on.My motorhome is a 2002 Monaco Knight.I do not have any kind of extended service plan or roadside assistance.Are these a good deal from Good Sam Club or is this something I even need.I know repair can be really high but will they still pay much on a coach as old as mine.

Thanks
Stanley
Stanley
I have never had an extended service plan.
I don't know if you can find an Extended Service Plan for an 11 year old coach.

However you should get some kind of Emergency Roadside Assistance.

I've had CoachNet, (Home Page - Coach-Net.com), for 12 years.
I used it 4 times, (once for a disabled coach tow, once for a disabled toad tow and twice for technical assistance).
Both tows were covered 100%, (but the technical assistance was useless?worthless).

Good Sam also offers one.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We've had GS Roadside Assistance since we started RV'ing three years ago. So far, we've used it every year. All for smaller service issues, but was very helpful to give them a call and have someone else find the closest qualified service shop. Wouldn't leave home without it.
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both the Good Sam Road assistance and the Good Sam Medical. The medical became important after my open heart surgery. It will fly both me and my wife home and then have someone drive our MH back to any location of our choice. The only caveat is that we have to be 100 miles from home. There are other perks in the policy that overlaps with the road assistance but since they are completely separate policy, double dipping is allowed.
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Birds View Post
We've had GS Roadside Assistance since we started RV'ing three years ago. So far, we've used it every year. All for smaller service issues, but was very helpful to give them a call and have someone else find the closest qualified service shop. Wouldn't leave home without it.
we got the Good Sam credit card which earns you points for purchases. Also higher points at camping world and when you use it at campgrounds. You can redeem your points for gift cards which we do for fuel and you can also use your points for GS roadside assistance plan. So we pay it off every month to not owe interest but the points add up really fast and we use for "free" GS roadside assistance plan. just a thought.. not a fan of credit cards but love the gift cards we earn and pay it off every month.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have GS Roadside Assistance and have been pleased. I don't believe in the extended warranties. I have had my RV for 10 years and so far no major problems and money saved. At $2000 per year X 10 years = $20,000. It will take a few major problems to reach $20,000. Maybe an engine and transmission at the same time.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
$2.00 every 6 months is reasonable for me. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
... I chose not to use the Extended Warranty plans that are out there.

I do have the GS Roadside Assistance. I think the cost is very reasonable considering what it might cost you to get pulled in from way out in the boondocks...
My thinking, too.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #22

I do not believe that Good Sam offers an extended service plan for motor homes over 10 years old. Mine is a 2007 and they tell me that they will not insure it after 2016. I have had a $1,000 deductible plan on this motor home and I have had a number of repairs, but most did not exceed $1,000, so I do not believe it has been a positive experience for me with this motor home. However, we had some engine work done on the previous motor home and that one claim more that offset the premiums I had paid to that point. How big a gambler are you?
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #23

I do not have an extended warranty, but would not go anywhere without ERS. I use GS.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I believe 99% of car insurance companies offer road service (towing, fuel, jump start etc.) Why would anyone want to pay more than $2.00 every 6 months? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The downside to GS Extended Warranty/Service plan is it an inclusive plan and it does not provide a consequential damages rider. Look for an exclusive plan and a plan that offer the consequential damages rider option.

As far as Roadside Assistance, I've had both, I prefer CoachNet but both are good
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #26

We have the Good Sam ERS. December last year I was backing into my friends yard in Pa and even after checking to make sure the ground was hard, I still sunk up to the axles. Explained to the Good Sam assistant and he said that I would need a winch out and that it was covered. Was told someone would be there in two hours. At the two hour mark they called to see if they had shown up. They put me on hold and when they came back they said the truck was on its way and was in heavy traffic and would be there in less than an hour. They showed up 15 minutes later and 20 minutes later we were on solid ground again. At the one hour mark they called to make sure that they had shown up and everything was ok.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I believe 99% of car insurance companies offer road service (towing, fuel, jump start etc.) Why would anyone want to pay more than $2.00 every 6 months? deSanford
deSanford,
I notice our RV collision and comp policy through Good Sams has a roadside assistance coverage limit of $750. Is this typical and what would it cost per mile to tow a motorhome? It mentions a tow up to 100 miles, but I expect the $750 limit would be exceeded before the 100 miles. Does your policy have this type of limit?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #28

I have towing on my Prudential policy. Costs $75 a year. Needed a tow from Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory to White Horse. Told them I didn't want a tow, but a low boy to put the coach on. They said no problem. But since I was in the middle of nowhere, but thankfully in a campground, it would take 2 days to get an available truck and trailer. Long story short, truck came, took me to Whitehorse(175 miles), to Inland Kenworth. I'd hate to think what that truck and trailer cost. But Prudential paid the whole thing without so much as a whimper. To say the least I'll be staying with them.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote