Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have GS roadside assistance. So far we have used it once and were treated very well. Our coach is a 2003. I looked at the GS service contract and it was about $175 per month for $500 deductible. I passed. So far we have had two issues that came to about $500 each so no loss. We are ahead of the game at the moment. We will see what this year brings...

Bob & Sandy, 2 Doxies, Punkin & Patches. 2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3456. W22, 8.1 / Allison. 05 Dakota Crew Toad.
Mixmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
We have had GS for many years and have needed assistance on several occasions, always with cheerful and helpful contacts. In fact, one year we used it so much that we got a letter from GS saying the policy was not intended to be a substitute for regular maintenance. There was no interruption in service, and we soon got rid of the MH that had caused so many calls. We have had two tows on a couple of occasions and have been winched out of our driveway on two occasions (no reverse gear). We wouldn't get on the road without a roadside service policy of some kind, and for us, GS is the answer.

As for an ESP, we have investigated this several times over the years, but never found it to be economical for us. It has been recommended/suggested in several threads on various forums that you self insure your ESP needs. If you put the premium dollars in a separate account, you will soon have a balance available to pay for all but the most catastrophic problems. A couple thousand salted away every year will add up pretty quickly if you go a couple years without a need to use it. Of course you have to have the discipline to leave it alone and not spend it for other things.

In any case, you must be sure to read the fine print for ERS or ESP. You can find many horror stories about things not covered that common sense says should be, or not covering incidents because the letter of the policy was not followed toward getting prior approval for every part, test, or process, and there are questionable companies that refuse to pay for one item just because it is grouped with others that are not covered in the fine print....especially true for ESP policies.

Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #31
We had the same letter, thought it was an insult and changed to another group.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
With all the money I've saved by NOT purchasing extended warranties I can easily afford to pay the roadside repair or whatever comes up along the way.

I have rolled the dice my whole life and so far I'm a WINNER!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #33
I was not insulted over the letter, and realized I had had a lot of calls...separated tire, blown tire, faulty coil/diodes, bad plug wires, etc. Some could have been attributed to lack of maintenance, some not discernable to the untrained eye. At any rate, that MH was soon out of my life and I have had very few calls since then.

And I'll admit I don't have the discipline to hide the premium money vs ESP, but at least I haven't sent it to a company that may or may not pay out when I have a problem.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #34
That my friend is exactly the problem. They always have some reason it's not covered.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
I purchased an extended warranty, only to discover their 'No way you will collect' policy! It is.....
"Every 4 months or 6000 Kms intervals, whichever occurs first, starting from the date of purchase you must, at your own expense, complete the following:
Lube, Oil and Oil filter....."
Come on....so change the oil every 4 month, even though its sitting in storage!!!!
Funny that was never mentioned before payment! Oh well live and learn. This was the first and last extended warranty I will purchase.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had GS roadside since I bought our first pop/up 20 years ago and have never had a problem with their service. I am like some of the other folks and have used them for just about all their service and the biggest was a 50 mile tow with the MH from the middle of nowhere in Oregon on I-5 to Grants Pass after a fire in the exhaust system.
When we first bought the MH,I looked at extended warranties and after seeing that the one I likes didn't cover fridges and listening to advice about putting the money in the bank instead,that's what I did. Guess what, one of the only things that hasn't broken was the fridge. Within 4 months I had paid out over $5K in repairs and the warranty was only$4K. Oh and everything that had to be replaced or repaired was covered. I finally decided to buy one a couple of months ago and before I was able to get it,we found that I had an exhaust leak that would have to be replaced first. Bummer,it seems as if I just can't win. Still gonna get the warranty though.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #37
I have their extended warranty policy and it requires that all normal services be performed. Cummins requires an oil,change after 10,000 miles. I guess if your motorhome manufacturer requires an oil change every 4,000 miles then the Good Sam policy then requires a 4,000 mile change. Read their policy and please respond on this site on the outcome. I wonder if they issue policies with different requirements?
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #38
I have GS . . . .knock on wood, have never had to use it . . . . . headed down to Florida next Saturday . . . . .
2011 Chateau 31 ft. (2005 Jeep Wrangler)
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #39
I have Phoenix American RV Elite. They covered a new engine, fuel pump/filter, instrument cluster and dash AC compressor. The claim was for over $10k all at once. The CEO had to sign off on that amount. I forget the ERS, but it is through them. I paid $4500 for 4/48k it when I bought my Breeze. It has more than paid for itself.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Coach-Net for roadside assistance, and I have service contract coverage purchased from Wholesale Warranties, and underwritten by American Bankers insurance co.

Two points: 1) On roadside assistance, buy the best plan available-- one that includes the word "unlimited". For a few more dollars per year you eliminate all the piddling arguments over how far they can tow you, or how many flat tires you can get.

2) For extended service coverage, be sure you're getting a service contract, not a "warranty". There's a difference, no matter what its called. A service contract is just that-- a contract. There will be an insurance policy issued, hopefully underwritten by a reputable carrier, and administered by a separate office.

Be sure you're buying an exclusionary policy, and be willing to pay a bit extra for consequential damage. Here's why: an inclusionary plan says 'here's what we cover: 1, 2, 3, 4....,". An exclusionary plan says 'we cover everything bumper to bumper, except for the following specific things, 1, 2, 3, 4...', and they both say 'we only pay to fix covered items, not any other damage they may cause.' One difference is that the not covered items listed in exclusionary plans are often normal wear and tear items. Consequential damage coverage is the glue that firms up the plan and makes it truly worthwhile. My policy defines it thus:

"CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE – Reimbursement is provided in the event of a Breakdown of a Covered Part due to the failure of a non-covered part or a Breakdown of a non-covered part due to the failure of a Covered Part. "

In other words, for all practical purposes, if there's a breakdown of almost any kind they'll cover all the damage. Example: last year the engine mounted a/c compressor seized on my Cat engine. Covered. The failure sent metal shards into the a/c refrigerant, contaminating the fluid and all hoses. The seizure also burned through the serpentine belt on the engine. Ordinarily, fluids, belts and hoses are not covered items, as they wear in normal usage. In this case the Consequential Damage clause provided for replacement of the belt, hoses, and all new fluid, and associated labor.

In short, you can decide whether you want to accept the risk of failure or not, but if you do buy coverage, be sure to buy a full, comprehensive plan that will properly cover you in all exigencies.

Good Luck!

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote