Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam Question

Hi,I have a question mabee ya'll could help me on.My motorhome is a 2002 Monaco Knight.I do not have any kind of extended service plan or roadside assistance.Are these a good deal from Good Sam Club or is this something I even need.I know repair can be really high but will they still pay much on a coach as old as mine.

Thanks
Stanley
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I do not know about the extended warranty availability for your rig, but I wouldn't want to be traveling without a roadside assistance plan. If you blow a tire or have a disabling event, you have no recourse except to find someone to assist you and then pay out of pocket for the costs. I prefer to have the assurance of roadside assistance designed for RVs, when I need it, and accessible with a simple phone call.

There are many options for roadside assistance - Good Sam, as you mentioned. Some use CoachNet, and others get it through their auto/RV insurance carrier. Make sure when choosing that you are comparing apples to apples, and that you know what is and is not covered.

I hope you have many miles of trouble free traveling!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would definitely get roadside assistance, whether from GS or perhaps Coach Net. The Extended Warranty was just too high for my coach. I am taking the chance that nothing will fail. We'll see.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Witch one is the best,or mabee I should say witch one have any of ya'll(yes I'm from texas,lol)used that did you fair.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
With my Good Sam Insurance I pay $2.00 every 6 months for road side assistance for my RV and my other 4 cars. Pay more what for? deSanford Yes they send a flat bed or disconnect my short drive shaft to tow the motorhome.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Toe service.

I have Good Sam and Camping World toe service for our M.H. which are the same
I have A.A.A. for our cars.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

We purchased a Good Sam extended service contract at time of purchasing our 2000 Winnebago. It, in our opinions, was worth the purchase price. It is $0 deductible when Camping World does the work, $50 for other shops. It is a 3-year contract, cost about $4,700. Since purchase last April, it has paid-out nearly $4,000 for covered repairs/replacements. Just the 2 outside remote, heated, rear-view mirrors ($1,300ea) were $2,600.(adjustment motors bad) Dash heater valving replacement is ongoing, another covered item.

P.S. Whichever company you buy from, purchase the optional seals and gaskets rider. It covers any engine, transmission, differential, or hyd. system gasket leaks. Mine cost $200 for the 3 yrs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Walter, Good Sam ERS covers your cars too, just call and register them with ERS.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used Coach-Net for the past 4 years. They have supported us with Technical information and trouble shooting information for the chassis and coach. In addition while traveling form Georgia to Alaska they provided support for battery problems, replacement of fan belt, and fuel pump replacement in Alaska by finding competent and quality facilities to perform repairs. Coach-Net has provided assurance for confident travel in the US and Canada. They cover both MH and toad.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stan, do a search on extended service plans and you will find a lot of threads regarding this subject. There are as many against having an ESP as there are in favor of it. I can tell you after doing a lot of research this past year, Good Sam is one of the most expensive...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #11

good sam towing for me. have used them many times on our cars and one tow on MH. Love them

Don
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstinch View Post
good sam towing for me. have used them many times on our cars and one tow on MH. Love them

Don
XX2 One tow on the MH and one flat tire....they were awesome!!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Good Sam extended service plan because these rigs cost big dollars if something goes wrong, especially with the engine. I thought it was worth the cost myself. Ours is a 2009 and I bought the policy after the first year warranty was up. Cost me $2,081.80 for the first 3 years. Now I am in my 4th year and the premium becomes annual - it is now $1,613.50 per year. Still worth it to me as my rig gets older and things happen. I have a $500 deductible so the cost would be less with a higher deductible.

I have Coach-Net as my roadside assistance provider. I have the gold and it covers all vehicles as well as the coach. I had Good Sam until once incidence which totally soured me on their program. Coach-Net seems to have people more oriented to motorhomes than Good Sam people.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Stanley, my coach is the same age as yours, and I chose not to use the Extended Warranty plans that are out there.

I do have the GS Roadside Assistance. I think the cost is very reasonable considering what it might cost you to get pulled in from way out in the boondocks! JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote