Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Even with Coachnet, it may be wise to have a smart phone ready as well. A quick search for Denver freightliner RV service brought up the 24 hours facility as the very first result. That may have saved a lot of aggravation in this example. It also proves the point that Good Sam can't even do a basic google search!

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Good Sam Roadside Horror Service

I just renewed my Coach-net service for three years...

Regardless, I also have an ERS rider through my RV insurance policy, it is very cheep, but I have had to use it and had no real issue, except that the towing company they used was sent from about 80 miles away, versus the town where I was. They all seem to have their contracted drivers that they use, regardless if it makes seance or not.

I actually recommend having at least two services. Then if you get the runaround from one, you can always call the other. It has worked for me. Another little thought of issue is relative to this situation. If they had sent out a mechanic, and the mechanic turned around and said you needed to be towed for service, then your ERS service will not cover the tow. You only get one service paid per insident. Therefore, you simply call the other ERS in that situation and get service for the call through them, and each is only one call. Another example is if they tow you to the nearest service facility and they can not fix your issue, so you need to be towed to another facility, you are out of pocket unless you have two ERS services.

I also have a separate Tire and Wheel Policy through my extended warranty company. The reason here is that they deal specifically with repairing or replacing my tires and wheels. So if you have something in the road that blowers your tire, and maybe also bends a wheel, you have specific coverage to have someone actually deliver you a tire(s) and/or wheel(s), along with a tow service if required. This really came in handy when my wife hit something on the passenger side that not only slit both tires, but also been both rims. They had to tow the car on a flat bed and replace both tires and rims. If you have ever had to replace even one stock aluminum rim, even for a car, you know how much money you will pay.

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
I left CoachNet when they could not find service for me on highway 101 in Washington on a summer weekday. None of the big 3 are worth the price, but I guess you need to pick one.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know why people keep joining the groups and services GS offers. This is the third such story I have read in less than two weeks. I also love the advise to go cry to Marcus. He can't control and properly run or subcontract something as simple as a ERA program. What good is he going to do after the fact? If the company hires someone that does not have enough common sense to google a city or zip code and the word freight liner so they can call them and set up an appointment and a tow what good are they? Someone else mentioned they won't repair a tire. That is correct, they will tow you to the closest place that can replace the tire. You will pay for the tire and they will pay for the tow its that simple. However, you are again relying on someone with little to no training or common sense to find you a tire dealer and a tow service. Ill stick with my smart phone and a couple google searches. Ill be towed and fixed before you can even explain your problem to GS. It makes me sick that folks keep throwing money at this company for bad service and non existent discounts they pay for with their dues not to mention a magazine bought and payed for to stuff more of their carefully crafted marketing down your throat. Stop the insanity!!!!
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
A few comments, they should have been there to tow you, but if the rig is a 2012 is it still under warranty? GS will also only tow you to the nearest repair facility, not the facility of your choice. CN cannot write new ERS contracts in California, only renew what they have.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
CN cannot write new ERS contracts in California, only renew what they have.
Really? I just got a Coach-Net Premier plan on my new ACE.
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Really? I just got a Coach-Net Premier plan on my new ACE.
You were able to get it through the manufacturer, go try and do it as an individual, they will tell you they are no longer signing up new customers in California at this time, and to check back. If you ask on their Facebook page they will delete the post. If you try and signup on their website, try and find California on the dropdown for state, it is not there. Coachnet will not say why they stopped, but I am curious.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #22
I was towed twice in a week, a situation complicated by not only having the 34' DP but we were towing a 16' flatbed trailer. The first was a Sunday evening and GS ERS wanted to tow us (to safety) to an RV park. I insisted on going to any facility that could work on our cummins engine. It took awhile but they sent a couple tow trucks, and took us about 10 miles. Part of the problem was no one would work for their payment schedule. We had to put some money up front.

When the 2nd incident occurred in the afternoon, we were about 45 miles miles from the repair facility. We had their mobile guy come out, but they claimed the repair needed wasn't related to the previous work and would have to order parts. Because we lost time waiting for the mobile guy to arrive and find the problem, it was again evening when we contacted ERS. After several hours of trying, ERS found only one tow company available, and they would only come if we paid up front. We were assured the est. $1,555 tow cost would be reimbursed, and it was.

It took some digging on the website to find the claim forms and instructions, so it wasn't hassle free but they paid everything including the cost to reinstall the drive shaft. The 2nd tow operator told us that all the roadside assistance companies have the same problem and one wasn't any better than another. Just luck of the draw for them to find the equipment available.

The GS ERS now has three plans. We had the better of two when we first purchased it. That plan under current rules no longer tows the utility trailer, which caused some distress. They finally figured out we were under the previous rules & the customer service team upgraded our plan so we wouldn't have future problems. That turned out to be handy as we were about 75 miles from home when our 1948 roadster had an electrical problem. It was close to midnight, but they had it loaded on a flatbed within an hour and took us home. Much easier to find equipment for a 1500 lb car vs. the RV & trailer.

In summary, dealing with the dispatch was essentially a PITA, but they stood 100% behind the service (by reimbursing us) and on a simple tow job were flawless. I can only think of two other tows we've needed in the last 30+ years, so using the service is an anomaly, but I'll keep paying. They have earned the business.
07 Newmar VTDP 3330
02 Kaw Vulcan Nomad 1500
Beyond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #23
We had a blowout on the turnpike during rush hour. GS had someone out within the hour to replace the tire once I gave GS a credit card number on the phone for $800 for the new tire. I have to wonder what it would have cost if I had called the tire shop directly. The biggest issue was getting the CSR to understand that I did not have a "cross-street" to give her, just the next exit number a mile away. She kept asking the question, in the hope that the answer would change.

I was hoping that an emergency vehicle with lights would pull up behind me, since the MH was less than 3 feet from the active lane with a guard rail on the other side. After about 20 minutes of trucks going by at 70 MPH shaking the coach, the State Farm Road Ranger stopped ... in front of the coach. He asked if I had called someone, shook my hand, wished me luck and drove off.

These stories make me re-think my GS renewal.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
I had the same problem with GS over 3yrs. ago when we had a problem in the panhandle of FL. It was a fri. evening and they said they couldn't find anyone, but would keep looking. Well I did a simple google search and had a tow truck out in 30min. I had him tow me to a freightliner place who took care of me the next morning. The only good thing is I demanded to be re-imbursed, and after some whining by GS they cut me a check. AFTER I recieved the check, I cancelled my policy. They wanted to know why and I explained I shouldn'rt have to do their job for them. I now have ALL my coverage through Progressive.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
The only question I have is whether or not anyone else could do any better. While it seems silly that they could not find the Freightliner facility I have to wonder what tools all the extended coverage folks use. I have seem similar complaints about Good Sam and AAA. Heard more about other folks. Whoever dispatches these calls seems clueless, hampered by some contract, or does not have internet access to something as basic as Google maps.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #26
We have used GS for towing three times. Once for the RV and twice for the TOAD and we have had good results in all instances. When the motorhome was towed, the wrecker damaged the front and back side of the unit. I contacted GS and filed a claim. They informed me that if the wrecker service did not reimburse for the repairs that GS would. They followed up on the claim with me until the wrecker service reimbursed me for all the repairs, which they did within a week. $4,000 worth of damage. Guess I have just been lucky!
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #27
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I left CoachNet when they could not find service for me on highway 101 in Washington on a summer weekday. None of the big 3 are worth the price, but I guess you need to pick one.
No ERS is perfect, but of the big 3, CoachNet can/may be "worth it" if/when you need emergency service.

However, before your ERS sends a tow truck to your location, verify, (via a phone call), that the nearest "qualified service provider" on their not always accurate list, (aka: where they will be towing your RV), actually works on RVs and/or does the type of work you need done.
If you don't they may tow you to a shop that is not capable of fixing your problem, (and they WILL NOT pay for a second tow).

'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #28
Just to clear up any confusion, my MH is a '07 Itasca Ellipse, that I purchased in 2012. I have also had my issues with Camping World - I replaced the existing satellite dome with a new one, Camping World drilled holes in the roof instead of using the existing cables that worked. I contested this with my credit card company - CW didn't even contact the credit card company. They just wrote off the $1400.00 because their liability was much greater, right around $4000.00. This was sent off to Marcus - I didn't even get a memo from him - so surely he didn't send me any correspondence. Good Sam is useless for everything I have used them for. You can get the same campground discounts with AAA or AARP or military.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40TD
david1027 is offline   Reply With Quote