Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #29

Rig is '07 that I purchased in 2012

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I plan to go to CoachNet when my GS contract is over!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
You know, I have no doubt that your experience was exactly as you describe. My basic question is why are you whining on this forum. Who can help you here? There is a Good Sam forum which, at least in my case, actively pursues solutions to problems like this. But I bet you never posted there or asked for their assistance. You just want to whine to the world how you were screwed over. Most of those replying are no wiser when they refer to the service as GCERS. It is Good Sam Roadside Assistance for the record and I do have a policy and have never used it but do plan to switch when renewal time comes up, not because of anything you said but because in talking to Coach Net at the Winnebago Rally and in comparing the benefits of each policy, I believe Coach Net is just better. Someone jumped into the discussion mentioning Extended Service Plan (completely different than Roadside Assistance) and I would NEVER recommend an ESP to anyone. Put aside a set amount each month for emergencies and you will, in the long run, save a lot of money over an ESP premium. I received a quote on my 12 year old coach of $4000 premium yearly with a $500 deductible - can you spell ridiculous. So I put away $250 per month into an emergency fund and will cap it when it reaches a large number (assuming no major expenses). Anyway, the point is, when you feel you have been wronged, go to the place or person that wronged you. To go elsewhere is a waste of time.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanbill View Post
You know, I have no doubt that your experience was exactly as you describe. My basic question is why are you whining on this forum. Who can help you here? There is a Good Sam forum which, at least in my case, actively pursues solutions to problems like this. But I bet you never posted there or asked for their assistance. You just want to whine to the world how you were screwed over. Most of those replying are no wiser when they refer to the service as GCERS. It is Good Sam Roadside Assistance for the record and I do have a policy and have never used it but do plan to switch when renewal time comes up, not because of anything you said but because in talking to Coach Net at the Winnebago Rally and in comparing the benefits of each policy, I believe Coach Net is just better. Someone jumped into the discussion mentioning Extended Service Plan (completely different than Roadside Assistance) and I would NEVER recommend an ESP to anyone. Put aside a set amount each month for emergencies and you will, in the long run, save a lot of money over an ESP premium. I received a quote on my 12 year old coach of $4000 premium yearly with a $500 deductible - can you spell ridiculous. So I put away $250 per month into an emergency fund and will cap it when it reaches a large number (assuming no major expenses). Anyway, the point is, when you feel you have been wronged, go to the place or person that wronged you. To go elsewhere is a waste of time.
Joanbill,

There is no whining here, just sharing a story so that others can learn from experiences. Every time a member shares an experience good or bad we all learn and possibly make the industry better by making better informed choices on services, products and vendors.

Thanks for your input!
Frank
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #33

Carolina Campers
Good Sam Roadside Horror Service

Quote:
... My basic question is why are you whining on this forum. Who can help you here?

My basic question is.... Why not discuss this topic with a group of RV'ers?

Maybe because it is relevant to them, and most of us are caring folks that will listen and provide thoughtful insight and valuable advice.

Besides, when something like this happens to us, we talk about it to our friend first so that we can get it off our chest.

Be happy.

Ted
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #34

I think the posts above covered the situation well, but I do want to highlight a couple of points.

First, while I don't know for sure, from what I've read over the years I surmise one problem wasn't that the CS rep couldn't find Freightliner or a tow with a Google search. My guess is they couldn't find a tow that was willing to work for the amount GS wanted to pay, or a service they were already contracted with at rates they will pay who was available.

As for "whining" here, I think such endeavors are necessary if we, collectively, ever want to see change. If people keep paying for a service there is usually little incentive for a company to reduce its profits by paying more for salaries and training to increase the competency of its employees. Nor are they likely to pay more to tow operators to increase their network of providers.

On the other hand, if people read complaints and go elsewhere in large numbers a company has an incentive to improve. More and more Joe and Juan average American research the web before buying goods and services. Threads like this do have the possibility to bring about change. And the more the word gets out to a broader audience the more effective the effort will likely be.

Or, give rise to competition. Perhaps someday we'll see a competitor saying something like "we may cost $20 a month more than our competition, but if we can't find you a tow from a preferred provider within two hours, put us in contact with the service you located and we'll take care of paying them..." Or some such improvement.

While I can't guarantee results, I'm pretty confident that if complaining is limited to places where only current and loyal customers will see it, nothing much will happen.

That's my opinion anyway. YMMV
Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #35

My experience was the same. Good Sam is worthless, no help and a waste of money. They should be embarrassed with the "service" they provide.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I whined on this forum when essentially the same thing happened to me (16 hrs in the heat because no one could be found. 8 am the next morning was 7/4, so didn't help much). I didn't know about RV.net until someone here told me about it. I also filed a BBB complaint where I discovered CN & AAA had 3 complaints in 3 yrs & GS had 48). I got my finds for membership reimbursed and a year of platinum membership for free. I still have my back up of AAA who DID tow us twice in one day after we had a mechanic come to us to look at the rig. A month later, we are back on the road with a new motor.
Textronics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpark View Post
I think the posts above covered the situation well, but I do want to highlight a couple of points.

First, while I don't know for sure, from what I've read over the years I surmise one problem wasn't that the CS rep couldn't find Freightliner or a tow with a Google search. My guess is they couldn't find a tow that was willing to work for the amount GS wanted to pay, or a service they were already contracted with at rates they will pay who was available.

As for "whining" here, I think such endeavors are necessary if we, collectively, ever want to see change. If people keep paying for a service there is usually little incentive for a company to reduce its profits by paying more for salaries and training to increase the competency of its employees. Nor are they likely to pay more to tow operators to increase their network of providers.

That's my opinion anyway. YMMV

I think you nailed it. When something similar happened to me, 5 hours on the side of I-79 in WV during a snow storm with no heat.

When the tow truck finally showed up the driver (the owner / operator) was very forthright and told me that the road service only pay a set (lower than market) fee. That he had told the GS CSR he was available to tow me when they first called, but during a storm he knew he was going to get other calls so wouldn't work for their discounted fee. Sure enough, as soon as the storm cleared, the tow truck arrived.

Even then he warned me about the shop I was to be towed to, it was a notorious rip-off shop. A call to GS yielded the answer "You're being towed there or you're on your own."

Of course the long delay in getting towed also meant that day was a write-off as far as having my motorhome looked at that door and the only car rental agency in town was closed for the day.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
he warned me about the shop I was to be towed to, it was a notorious rip-off shop. A call to GS yielded the answer "You're being towed there or you're on your own."
Murf2u
That can be a problem with any ERS that tows you to the "nearest service provider", (or referrers you to a shop), on their "list of providers".
Sometimes the provider on the "list" is a rip-off shop, and sometimes the "list" is just plain WRONG.

Here are 2 examples:

1.) When I had an engine problem CoachNet towed me 50 miles to a Cat shop "on their list" that did not work on RVs.......(I ended up "limping" my coach another 25 miles to a Cat shop that COULD, and did).

2.) When I had a refrigerator problem in on the road, they had me drive 75 miles out of my way to a "travel trailer manufacturer" who installed Norcolds in their new trailers but did not service them.

The moral of this story is this:
Always get the phone number of the "proposed service provider" from your ERS and call them to verify they can/will do the work necessary.

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, Norcold refrigerator
Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #39

Mel, it wasn't that they couldn't do the work, they were capable and equipped for it.

They were crooks, that was the problem.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The only question I have is whether or not anyone else could do any better. .......Whoever dispatches these calls seems clueless, hampered by some contract, or does not have internet access to something as basic as Google maps.
This has not been my experience or impression with CoachNet. I've called them three times in two years, and they have been prompt, informed, well connected, and assiduous about keeping me in the loop on each occasion. Absolutely stellar.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Joanbill,

There is no whining here, just sharing a story so that others can learn from experiences. Every time a member shares an experience good or bad we all learn and possibly make the industry better by making better informed choices on services, products and vendors.

Thanks for your input!
Frank
Quote:

joanbill, I don’t think this site is for people like you to make nasty comments to the other members. I don’t know what world you’re from or how long you have been at this but the “Good Sam” forum you speak of will only delete a post like this. If you would take the time to think about all the other folks that read this forum you might understand that this forum is not for whining and I don’t believe I am whining. I am simply telling a detailed story so that others can make a more informed decision if they decide to purchase the Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I think it is fair for folks to know how the service responds to real life situations. I am not looking OR asking for anyone’s help in this post; and NO I didn’t just want to whine for being “screwed over” – as you call it – and I am not whining to the world - WHO are you to whine about how others refer to Good Sam Roadside Assistance (GCERS)? Are we making fun of your employer? Is this really Marcus? In fact no place in my post did I refer to being “screwed over” by anyone. People like you should stop and think before writing down nasty accusatory comments that ridicule someone else. You know nothing about me and are presuming that I am looking for a hand out, or sympathy. Well, the fact is that I wasn’t looking for either, simply making sure others know the kind of service they will be paying for. So, the next time you feel the need to write nasty comments to someone maybe you should consider the reasons why someone took the time to write a post. There is no reason to be nasty.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam Roadside Horror Service

Let's knock off the personal comments. It's not allowed here. Our #1 rule is " be nice ". Discuss the topic and not each other
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service