Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Good Sam Roadside Horror Service

When we got our Itasca Ellipse in 2012 we signed up with the Good Sam Roadside Assistance program just in case we would ever need assistance if we broke down on the side of the road.Well, here it is August 2014 and we finally did need the roadside assistance that we have been paying for.Thank goodness we had it (it is useless). We had been to Alaska and were on our way home, stopped in South Dakota for some repair work, it was completed and we went on our way back home to Florida. We got to the South Side of Denver Colorado on I-25, and we got a low oil pressure alarm – so we stopped and managed to get off the highway to a vacant parking lot in front of a bail bondsman office. This happened at 6:23pm, we checked out the things we know to check and came to the conclusion that we needed help and this is when we called Good Sam Emergency it was a Tuesday evening around 6:45pm when we called assistance the first time, this phone call lasted 27 minutes and we were told by CSR that she couldn’t find a provider to assist us. We wanted to be towed to the nearest Freightliner facility – the CSR stated that there was not a Freightliner dealer she could locate, we informed her that Denver was a “big” city and Freightliner surely had a facility there. She took our number and said she would call back when she had all taken care of. At 8:15 pm about 50 minutes later she called back and again informed us that she was still unable to locate anyone to assist us but that at 8:00 in the morning she would be able to call us to let us know a time if they were able to get someone to tow us and if we still needed to be towed. We informed the CSR that we didn’t really feel safe in the part of town we are in. She stated that she was sorry but that Good Sam was not able to locate anyone to provide the service and that someone would call us at 8:00 in the morning to see if we still needed to be towed and if so she would give us a time if she had found anyone.We stated that we wanted to be towed to the nearest facility repeatedly that evening and she continued to state that assistance could not be sent until after 8:00 a.m. and then she would let us know if and when assistance would be able to get to us. We spoke with a supervisor explained what had happened with the alarm, and that we wanted towed to the nearest freightliner facility. The supervisor restated exactly what the CSR said but the supervisor started debating with us whether we actually needed a tow truck.Maybe we should get a mechanic to come see the motor home – but he could not get to us either until after they contacted someone after 8:00 in the morning. Did we know what was wrong with the motor home so she could tell the mechanic. Then they could let us know a time. We were very disappointed with this whole fiasco. The Good Sam Emergency Roadside assistance was all but non-existent. They certainly didn’t help us with anything.

So, we again called freightliner and they were able to provide us with the name of a Freightliner Oasis Service Facility (geared specifically to Motor Homes) that was only 36 miles away to the North AND it was a 24-hour facility with ability to tow the Motor Home. The Freightliner Facility was every kind of helpful they could be and were able to provide us with the help we needed.

When Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service did call me back the next morning it was around 9:15 in the morning and they told me that the tow truck would be there about 10:45. I informed them that I was able to locate a Freightliner Service Facility in North Denver only 36 miles from me who was open 24 hours and that they gave me the assistance I needed, no thanks to Good Sam Emergency Roadside assistance – They were nothing but useless! The CSR indicated he would elevate this to a supervisor, it has been 3 days now and I have yet to hear from anyone from Good Sam regarding the “elevation of my experience to a supervisor”.Good Sam Emergency Roadside service was completely a waste of time in an emergent situation where I didn’t feel safe and they didn’t render any assistance, essentially left me in a spot where I felt unsafe.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40TD
david1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Can you submit your repair and tow bills to them and see what sticks?

2004 Fleetwood Discovery 3126 CAT engine
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
What a unbelievable story. Theres just one story after another regarding how GS ERS has fallen down on the job. You should copy your story and send it to the GS rv.net and complain to the CEO, who apparently will have someone contact you. Small consolation after what you had to deal with. Sounds like press 9 for excuses.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for your bad experience with goodsam.
We had to use them recently in Erie pa and they
could not find us help either.
Did you end up getting towed? Was it a guage
malfunction or a problem with your engine?
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
A friend called Good Sam for flat repair. They said they will only dispatch if you have a spare tire. They won't dispatch to repair a flat. Really, how many carry a 22.5" spare?
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
That just helped me in deciding who to choose for extended warranty service. Interested in other MHers stories and who they use. I
Need to select one soon.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to RV.net forums and complain to Marcus Lemons. There is a separate section to send messages to him. I think it is called 'Tell Marcus.'

That seems to be an excellent example of how useless they can be. I would ask for a full refund of what you paid for the ERS and get CoachNet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

That seems to be an excellent example of how useless they can be. I would ask for a full refund of what you paid for the ERS and get CoachNet.
X2 CoachNet
I have been towed three times over the last three yrs. (hate to say this...) thru CoachNet, excellent service each time, once in Canada where I had to help making the arrangements, but they still gracefully paid the $700 bill...
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

GS roadside assistance is a waste of money!

Get Coach Net they know what they're doing and have helped me several times. They even have a great concierge service.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
So sorry for your problem(s). We have had two similar experiences with two MH major manufacturers and two extended warranty/towing/you're really on your own companies. This industry is sadly in need of regulation. Just my .02 worth. Best wishes though for safe travels and happy landings and resolution from the manufacturer.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
I have heard that GS severely low balls the towing companies and that is why they can't get anyone to tow for for them. I was going to sign up with them at the start of this summer, but research online had too many complaints just like yours. If you can't get a tow in a major city like Denver imagine trying to get one in the middle of the Arizona desert. Any service that leaves you high and dry won't get my business. Hope your repair wasn't too costly and you are back on the road soon.
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Go to RV.net forums and complain to Marcus Lemons. There is a separate section to send messages to him. I think it is called 'Tell Marcus.'
Yeah..... tell Marcus. He'll do something, give you a CW store credit or something, and then there'll be a story all over the Good Sam site and whatever that magazine is that they own now, showing how great Good Sam is for their ERS customers. Marcus Lemonis is only interested in two things: 1) your money, and 2) your address, so he can send you even more sales brochures!
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have AAA RV Premiere and they have never let me down, GCERS is a joke, they need to fire All State, their subcontractor who handles their ERS, and get a subcontractor who knows what they are doing!
Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I just removed my GS Roadside Service renewal payment from the out going mail. I had even upgraded to their " best " coverage. I have not seen this kind of story about CaochNet on any of the forums so...CoachNet it is!! THANKS for the post about your trouble with GS.

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote