Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam Takes Last Bite, Buys BBB Complaint

During the term on my Good Sam Extended Service Plan, as far as I know, I received nothing for my money.

The one time I attempted to file a claim (less than $300 for front suspension part failure), Good Sam deemed it ultimately due to "seals and gaskets," since a broken grease boot was also present.

Using this secondary cause and effect reasoning, a large number of failures in our chassis, engines, transmissions and more could be dismissed in this same manner. In short, these contracts at best protect owners for a narrow array of specific problems. At best.

When I called to rescind the autocharge today, I was offered cancellation: for a $50 fee, Good Sam will terminate "coverage" and refund $44 "equity" to my credit card.

Like others, I've resorted to the Better Business Bureau for help in resolving this matter. At the same time, the Texas Attorney General is interested in such behavior stemming from warranty providers, and will be kept abreast of what is done. I'm insisting on a refund of premiums paid to date for this non-existent service, plus the cancellation fee, minus monthly transaction charges (the sole cost to Good Sam has been processing my payments and printing/mailing the contract).

Meanwhile, Good Sam, as many of you have kindly told me, is not a suitable extended service plan provider for our RVs. Buyer beware!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can't say I blame you a bit but what grounds are you basing the claim on? Were the terms in the contract misleading?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These contracts are written very carefully and cover only what is specific to the contract. There is probably no way the average rv'er would know what all th terms are.

Its not just GoodSam but all I have researched read about the same. After all, they are written to make money for the issuer.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
The basic principle is that the insurer has to make more from the premiums and whatever return he can make on them than he pays out. Otherwise, he goes out of business.

Just like Vegas - there are a few winners, but in the long run, the house always wins.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Just like Vegas - there are a few winners, but in the long run, the house always wins.

Rusty
The difference is that in Vegas the house doesn't use loaded dice.

45 years in the auto service business has shown me that most - not all - extended warranties are of almost no value in the real world.

Most of the common failures are excluded.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Let's Take A Look At What Good Sam Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Can't say I blame you a bit but what grounds are you basing the claim on? Were the terms in the contract misleading?

Rick
Good question. I'll let you and other forum members be the judge. BTW, the Good Sam forum forbids this topic in its rules. Here is the contract language, direct from Good Sam.

Covers all parts of the chassis suspension assembly, except for the following:
  • rubber springs
  • worn or sagging coil and leaf springs
  • shock absorbers
  • air dryer
  • any parts not originally supplied by the chassis manufacturer

That's the advertising banner. Now, let's look at the actual contract:

4. SUSPENSION ASSEMBLY - Covers all parts of the chassis suspension assembly, except for the following: Rubber springs, worn or sagging coil and
leaf springs, shock absorbers, air dryer, any parts not originally supplied by the chassis manufacturer.

Now for the General Exclusions:

• Any pre-existing problems that are present prior to the purchase of this Coverage whether known or unknown. The condition of the covered part(s) in
question will be assessed to determine time of initial breakdown.
• Mechanical Breakdowns outside the United States and Canada.
• Any loss resulting from inadequate amounts of coolant, lubricant, or fluids.
• Any breakdown on a vehicle used for racing, off-road use, rental use, or delivery purposes, or by pulling a trailer weighing more than the manufacturer’s
recommend limits.
• Mechanical Breakdowns covered by manufacturer's warranty, manufacturer's recall, or factory bulletins, (regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is
doing business as an ongoing enterprise), any other Service Agreement, repairer’s warranty, written warranty, or any valid and collectable insurance policy.
• Damage to a non-covered part by a covered part(s) or to a covered part by a non-covered part(s) failure.
• Any covered part which is not broken down but which a repair facility recommends or requires be repaired or replaced. Suggested or necessary upgrades or
replacements are not covered.
• Any loss or damage to the overall structure both internal and external, including but not limited to Frames, Bumpers, Walls, Floor, Roof, Siding, Doors,
Remote or manually actuated panels or covers, Windows, Glass, Weather stripping and moldings, Cabinets, Counter Tops and Integrated Sinks, Carpet,
Beds, Awning fabric, Batteries, Fuses, Tires, Wheels. (Structure materials can be either wood, metal, rubber, fiberglass, glass or any other structural product).
• Any loss caused by improper or contaminated fuel or other fluids.
• Any loss due to continued operation in a failed condition.
• Any loss caused by negligence, misuse, abuse, impact or collision damage or from any other cause whatsoever, except as provided under this Coverage.
• Any loss or expense if the odometer has been tampered with, altered, or is inoperative.
• Any repair for the purpose of correcting the engine compression or correcting oil consumption when a Mechanical Breakdown has not occurred. Valve
grinding and/or worn rings are not covered. De-carbonization is not covered.
• Any replacement costs of filters, fluids, sealing boots, and seals or gaskets, except as provided under this Coverage.
• Any loss caused by any alterations not meeting manufacturer's specifications.
• Any unit with a “branded” title including but not limited to, salvage, rebuilt, refurbished, totaled and any units previously owned by FEMA (Federal Emergency
Management Agency).
• The replacement of an entire system due to obsolescence or unavailability of the failed covered part(s).
• Alignments, adjustments, tune-ups, fuels and any Hybrid drive components.
• Any damage or failure resulting from rust, corrosion or freezing.
• Any damage or failure resulting from Acts of God, power surges, collision, upset, or any damage from a non-covered source.

Of course, they are not liable to replace a boot; as for lack of lubrication, a cracked boot does not necessitate that condition without inadequate maintenance, eg chassis lubrication. To say that a boot is a gasket or seal borders on the absurd: "dust cover" would be more appropriate. In fact, maintainers in the past had packed the boot so full (and the grease ball remained intact), that the cracked condition of the boot was somewhat obscured.

This is why, along with other facets, vehicle warranty contracts are getting the attention of the attorney general in our state. I think Good Sam is deserving of such scrutiny, given the feedback I've read about their service, as well as the fact that they've stonewalled me for the last two weeks.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like a previous maintainer caused the suspension part to fail due to improper service procedures (overfilling grease into the dust boot) Actually the repair bill should be presented to whoever has been maintaining the MH improperly.
While I agree there are many things that are not covered by the extended warranties, I have seen some huge bills paid by them in the past. There are certain failures they can not wiggle out of and it costs them big bucks to perform the necessary repairs.
RV service contracts are similar to automotive service contracts.
Years ago I had an extended warranty service contract on the worst car I ever owned, a 1998 Dodge Neon. I have been in the automotive business for many years so I knew how to play the game. I serviced the car by the manufactures maintenance schedule and saved all of my receipts. I had a 3 year service contract that by the end of the second year and ump-teenth repair they cancelled the contract because it cost them more in repairs then the replacement value of the vehicle. I totaled up all the repairs that they paid for in two years and it came to a little over $5,000.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

All insurance companies operate the same; their in it to make money and not to pay;
You win some; lose a lot with insurance.
I prefer self insurance.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
It sounds like a previous maintainer caused the suspension part to fail due to improper service procedures (overfilling grease into the dust boot) Actually the repair bill should be presented to whoever has been maintaining the MH improperly.
While I agree there are many things that are not covered by the extended warranties, I have seen some huge bills paid by them in the past. There are certain failures they can not wiggle out of and it costs them big bucks to perform the necessary repairs.
RV service contracts are similar to automotive service contracts.
Years ago I had an extended warranty service contract on the worst car I ever owned, a 1998 Dodge Neon. I have been in the automotive business for many years so I knew how to play the game. I serviced the car by the manufactures maintenance schedule and saved all of my receipts. I had a 3 year service contract that by the end of the second year and ump-teenth repair they cancelled the contract because it cost them more in repairs then the replacement value of the vehicle. I totaled up all the repairs that they paid for in two years and it came to a little over $5,000.
Same thing happened to me with state farm; had them for nearly 20 years and no clames, turned in two clames that were less than $300 and they canceled me.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #10

State Farm cancelled me after two home insurance claims less than $3,000. in five years, saying I used them too much. I was under the impression that they were my friend in time of need. Turns out they are like any other insurance group, profits before payouts.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I understand that warranty / insurance is based on statistical analysis of what will or will not break and I accept that it is a business and not a charity; however, even in business there should be basic honesty. Sad fact is - many, many times this is not true. Congrats for posting the information and shame on Good Sam (and the others that practice the same principles).
Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
State Farm cancelled me after two home insurance claims less than $3,000. in five years, saying I used them too much. I was under the impression that they were my friend in time of need. Turns out they are like any other insurance group, profits before payouts.
Home insurance company reliability is a moving target: I'm tempted to endorse Farmer's here, since on the promise of gaining my loyalty as a homeowners' customer, they paid a $4500 claim on construction project damage that the contract did not require they cover (aircraft hangar, which the builder hadn't added to the policy). BTW, for 12 years, Farmer's has had some half-dozen autos, our home. Multiple claims, not a peep from them. Now, I'm going to use them for umbrella coverage.

USAA used to provide exemplary service like this, fell out of favor with military families as they over-broadened availability in the 1990s.

I imagine the same ebb and flow happens in the RV warranty business: customer experience from years back may or may not reveal what newbies can expect, buying policies in 2011.

In Good Sam's case, they simply stonewalled me; I'm forcing them to stonewall the BBB for documentation. Everyone needs to avail themselves to the BBB when these companies fail to live up to their end of the contract.

In consumer literature, vehicle warranty companies as a whole tend to do very poorly. So much, that they are coming under scrutiny by state legislators.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
• Damage to a non-covered part by a covered part(s) or to a covered part by a non-covered part(s) failure.
• Any covered part which is not broken down but which a repair facility recommends or requires be repaired or replaced.

With these two clauses present in the contract I would never pay one cent for their so called coverage. Funds set aside in an account for repairs would make me feel much more secure.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #14

I consider both rv and auto warranties to be pre-paid repair. Good Sam's Road Hazzard threaten to not allow renewal if I continued to abuse the policy. I used it twice last year, both times were due to a tire blow out. I know carry a large enough jack to lift my rig.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote