Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam Travel Assist

I have paid for Good Sam Travel Assist for 3 years & I think it is a good program. I haven't used it but no longer having a "20 year old body", it seems like a good idea.

My problem now is that with my latest renewal request from Good Sam, I was informed that with my renewal fee of $99.99 I would be allowing "auto-renewal". Without notice they want to be able renew my membership by charging my credit card without telling me.

Of course, if I remember in time, I can cancel at any time, if I remember. I think this is just a rip-off by Good Sam to ensure renewals. If my membership is used because I die & they drive my MH home, what is the chance my Wife will remember to cancel.

There is no way I will renew unless they drop the auto-renewal clause.

I also want to point out that when you renew magazine subscriptions, auto-renewal is a new add-on. Read the "fine print".

Of course, this is just my opinion & others may not mind but I want to put this out there.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I have paid for Good Sam Travel Assist for 3 years & I think it is a good program. I haven't used it but no longer having a "20 year old body", it seems like a good idea.
My problem now is that with my latest renewal request from Good Sam, I was informed that with my renewal fee of $99.99 I would be allowing "auto-renewal". Without notice they want to be able renew my membership by charging my credit card without telling me.
There is no way I will renew unless they drop the auto-renewal clause.
Of course, this is just my opinion & others may not mind but I want to put this out there.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

When ever it comes time to renew any subscription be it a magazine, Sirius radio, or other I will cross out the "auto renew" clause or just call them and inform them that I "DO NOT WANT NOR DO I AUTHORIZE AUTO RENEWAL"! This prevents any problems. If they want my subscription renewed they agree to it.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Auto renewals can be a problem, agree. Something I don't want to manage either.

BTW, membership in FMCA now includes such travel assist benefits at no additional charge.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

I have had the Good Sam Travel Assistance for a few years. I have had them come to my rescue a few times and they were always nice and always brought the help I needed.
I don't agree for them to "auto renew" my service either.
I called them this morning and ask for assistance. I informed the lady my motor home is blocking a driveway up town and will not crank. I told her I think it is a bad fuel pump. She called back in a little while and informed me that I would have to wait until tomorrow for a tow truck.
Seems to me there are more than a few tow trucks available in the city of Tallahassee even-though, we are recovering from Hurricane Hermine.
Oh well, who cares? I am going to get AAA road service. And furthmore, I just saved $800.00 by switching from Good Sam Insurance to State Farm. After all, State Farm is like a good neighbor.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I have had the Good Sam Travel Assistance for a few years. I have had them come to my rescue a few times and they were always nice and always brought the help I needed.
I don't agree for them to "auto renew" my service either.
I called them this morning and ask for assistance. I informed the lady my motor home is blocking a driveway up town and will not crank. I told her I think it is a bad fuel pump. She called back in a little while and informed me that I would have to wait until tomorrow for a tow truck.
Seems to me there are more than a few tow trucks available in the city of Tallahassee even-though, we are recovering from Hurricane Hermine.
Oh well, who cares? I am going to get AAA road service. And furthmore, I just saved $800.00 by switching from Good Sam Insurance to State Farm. After all, State Farm is like a good neighbor.
Hi Bo, I think you are confusing ERS with Travel Assist.

http://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/?...6k0aAjrk8P8HAQ
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

FMCA includes travel assistant medical vacuolation with its membership. 40 bucks a month and you get a cool magazine. Check it out at FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The auto-renew crap just gets under my skin. That is the one reason I keep the Bank America Mastercard the other being online purchases for some vendors. They have a "Shop Safe" option which allows you to create a virtual card number for the amount you want.

The only reason so many business want access to your CC or bank account is to increase their bottom line at your expense. Plus they know many will overlook the charges and say it is not worth the bother to protest.

Don't get me started on State Farm Insurance wanting to charge you a dollar/month to access your account to pay the SOB's.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
FMCA includes travel assistant medical vacuolation with its membership. 40 bucks a month and you get a cool magazine. Check it out at FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.
Rorytug
40 bucks a year.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I called Good Sam Travel Assist today & complained about their auto-renewal. The guy said if I renewed by phone I could cancel out on the auto-renewal.

Turns out they are playing games with the renewal also. Turns out my current subscription doesn't even expire until next March. I decided not to give them more money until I have to. They really don't need my money ahead of time.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel