Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
will not buy unless the MH comes with the owner's manual
Any Fleetwood MH. You can download a PDF Owners manual
Also a Brochure for info on all models

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #16

My used RV came with manuals about about 14 inches thick and I rarely use them. Running a Google search most often brings up useful information to resolve a specific problem or question. Most often referring back to irv2.com. Welcome to the forum. As a side note my wife and I lived on a sailboat for 12 years and were able to cruise a bit. We do enjoy land cruising but never have to worry about dragging anchor or running a ground. It does seem like where ever we want to go is directly into the wind the same as with the boat.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #17

The previous owners of our houseboat had carpeted over the hatches inside the boat and I couldn't find any info about where they were located. One was under the cutty cabin and one was in the kitchen. I had to rip the carpet up to find them. And yes, both bilge pumps were not working. I'm sure as heck glad the boat didn't leak.. I had my boat surveyed before I bought it and was disappointed the surveyer didn't know where the hatches were. I'm assuming there are independent inspectors for motor homes?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okcmike54 View Post
Thinking of buying a later model used one. Preferably something 3 to 5 years old, stored out of the sun and ready to hit the road without doing much, if not any mods to it. There seems to be a ton of them out there.. I'm a otr truck driver by trade and the size of the vehicle will not be an issue.. The houseboat probably lessened the learning curve somewhat. On thing for sure, I will not buy unless the MH comes with the owner's manual. Our houseboat did not have the manual and figuring out just the basic stuff was a nightmare. My wife is looking forward to not having to corral the boat with a dock pole as I'm attempting to put the boat in the slip,, lol....
Owner's manual on most coaches are close to useless.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okcmike54 View Post
The previous owners of our houseboat had carpeted over the hatches inside the boat and I couldn't find any info about where they were located. One was under the cutty cabin and one was in the kitchen. I had to rip the carpet up to find them. And yes, both bilge pumps were not working. I'm sure as heck glad the boat didn't leak.. I had my boat surveyed before I bought it and was disappointed the surveyer didn't know where the hatches were. I'm assuming there are independent inspectors for motor homes?
There are no "liscensed surveyors" in the RV industry, like in the marine field, (even tho I have never seen one that knew more than I did). Your best bet is to find a really good reputable repair shop or a mobile repair technician and pay them for a couple of hours of looking about the rig you are looking at and give you an impression. There are two disparate parts of the MH, the home part and the motor part, and both need to be looked at and evaluated and one individual may, or may not be able to do both.

Buying a used rv is definitely a buyer beware environment and no real regulatory requirment for much if any problem disclosure.

Be careful, take your time, and make sure you pull in the fenders and stow the dock lines...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #20

FWIW I do not think they use the 3 valve head in the C's. I wish they did, more power. You will be looking at a Ford chassis with a good reputation and maybe some known fixes depending on the model and year. Manuals are a joke. Tires last about 7 years so build them into your cost structure. You will also probably end up wanting a towed so keep that in mind. If you are dealing with a dealer have them put in a brake controller as part of the deal.

Speaking of dealers I would buy the first one through a dealer. Part of the delivery process should be a complete walk through. Whatever it does, do it. You may get overwhelmed from TMI but a lot will come back as you need to do something. Assume nothing.

When looking use similar advice. Sit on anything sitable, lay on it stand in it, open, close and figure out how to use everything. There are some really interesting designs out there with real gotcha's. ;-)