Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #1

I am looking to change a goosneck to a 5th wheel, I bought the truck with the goosneck in it and I dont know anything about it, it is folded into the bed and I have never used it. Any one know how much work it will be to change over and where I should start?
Thanks Its a 1993 dodge ram if that matters

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #2

I am looking to change a goosneck to a 5th wheel, I bought the truck with the goosneck in it and I dont know anything about it, it is folded into the bed and I have never used it. Any one know how much work it will be to change over and where I should start?
Thanks Its a 1993 dodge ram if that matters

Old 09-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
This is not what you asked for but I'm posting on the chance that you don't know it is available.

Gooseneck
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #4

No I didnt know about that Do you think it is as safe a the normal 5th wheel hitch?
Thanks for your help
Old 09-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think you start over from scratch and simply install a 5W hitch. You may or may not have to remove the goose neck, depending on what it is like.

Or go with the goose neck adapter shown in the Camping World catalog. I see it is rated for 30,000 lbs, so it seems like it ought to be pretty rugged. I have no idea how easy it is to use, though. A standard 5W hitch is a breeze.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I used one of these adapters for 2 years on a 26' fiver with no problem. Easy to use and as I was pulling the fiver with a farm truck did not have the option of putting in a 5th wheel plate.

If you have not already done so, ask this question in the fiver area of IRV2. You will get a lot of input.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I strongly recommend NOT using a Goose Neck adapter. From an engineering stand point it places a lot more stress on the trailer pin box. Some smaller 5ers might get by with one, but it is sure to be a problem on a larger one. Best way to find out is to contact the trailer manufacturer (not the dealer) and ask about the use of a GN adapter on your trailer.

I have personally seen the damage to to larger high end 5ers that had the pin boxes torn up and both were using N adapters.

Ken