Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Got new tires

I took my Allegro W-20 to Bob Maggart Tire in Cookeville, Tn today and had them mount 6 new Michelin XZE's. The price for each was just a couple of bucks more than the old XRV's and the new tires are load range "H" instead of LRF as with the old tires. Very strong tires and I hope they serve me as well as the old one's.

I did not realize that the are rated up to 120 lbs where the XRV's were 95. So, I have a bit of a learning curve regarding the correct pressure for the new one's. The guys at the garage put 102 lbs in each one and think that is too much. Going to have to get the rig weighed again.

Anyone having any information regarding pressures with their XZE's would be much appreciated.

Bob

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
I did not realize that the are rated up to 120 lbs where the XRV's were 95.
What pressure are the wheels rated for?

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
RustyJC

That is a very good question that caused me to go out into the rig and dig out the owners manual and the WH Chassis Guide. The owners manual says nothing. The Chassis Guide however, said I have steel Maxion wheels rated for 5000 lbs, but it does not indicate anything about pressure. Michelin's load and pressure guide gives me the pressures for the single and dual wheels, but I'm at a loss insofar as what pressure the wheels are rated for. According to the chart, none of the various pressure rating for the individual weight of each wheel exceeds 5000 lbs, so I quess I will be ok........but you got me thinking.

Bob
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Generally the wheel will be stamped with a pressure and load rating. Next time you have a wheel off or a wheel skin removed, it might be worth a look. On "single" wheels, the stamping is on the inside of the wheel - not sure about dually wheels, as I've never looked on the truck since I've stayed with the original load range E tires that are rated at 80 PSIG. The load range G tires on the 5th wheel came with wheels rated for the 110 PSIG pressure, and they are noticeably thicker than standard.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call the MFg of the RV. They have all of their rims certified for a specific rating. Sometimes the rating is stamped on the outside on the back side of the rim, sometimes on the inside of the rim and you have to remove the tire. Do not be surprised at what you find in there. Rims I checked had a stamp for 80 psi and a sticker then stating 110 psi. Mfg said they had them all re-rated and stickered for 110 psi. Hmmm! Wonder how they can do that, but I have pictures to prove it, and email.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,

If your tires are the same size, "Generally" you will run the same air pressure as you did on the old tires. The "H" rating just let's you add more air pressure to carry more weight. Of course your wheels may not be rated to 120 psi.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob
I'm interested in your new tires as I am in the hunt for tires on my '03 Allegro on an '02 chassis. I loooked at a heavier rating but fear it would give me a stiffer ride. I am stearing towards Firestones mainly because no other dealer can guarantee a fresh date code.

Please let us know how yours ride.

Thanks
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the XZEs on mine. The Michelin chart shows 85 lbs for my weight. My tires are load range F and I just had the coach weighed.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenRalph View Post
Bob
I'm interested in your new tires as I am in the hunt for tires on my '03 Allegro on an '02 chassis. I loooked at a heavier rating but fear it would give me a stiffer ride. I am stearing towards Firestones mainly because no other dealer can guarantee a fresh date code.

Please let us know how yours ride.

Thanks

Scott I have a 32DA Allegro on a 2003 W-22 chassis. This past summer I installed Michelin XZE tires on the front only. I bought the load range F tire, as it more than meets the weight carrying capacity of my motorhome. The side walls of the XZE are a bit stiffer than the OEM XRV tire. While I can feel this difference, I do not find it objectionable at all while driving. For my weight I am running 85 PSI in the fronts, and 90 in the rear duals. I purchased the tires at Costco, and had them mounted at a tire shop, as Costco could not accomodate the larger sized tires. They also did not stock the tire, but were happy to have it shipped to thier store. I was assured before placing the order that the manfacture date would be within 6 months, and in fact it was within three months. I believe the cost for the load range F 245 X 19.5 tires was $282 plus sales tax. It cost me $30 each for mounting. I like the tires, and intend to purchase 4 more for the rear in about another year or so. I am trying for 7 years on the rear XRV tires.The reason for replacing the fronts was severe sidewall cracking, and I just didn't trust them.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When I left the shop yeaterday, I had about a 25 mile drive home, mostly on I-40, but some local roads. I noticed that the ride was stiffer than the old tires and the front end felt "light". The installers put 100-102 lbs PSI in the tires which is obviously too much. I ran 90PSI in the XRV's and according to the weight chart for the XZE's, I can run them at 85, which I consider to be not enough. So, were going to air them down to 95 and take it for a nice ride to the weigh station, then make my adjustments. The rig is a quite a bit lighter than it was when I had it weighed at the start of a trip last summer. When we load it for the Alaska trip, another stop at the scales may be in order.

Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
RottenRalph;

Speaking of manufacture dates for tires. You are correct, dealers cannot guarantee the born on date for the tire. Maggart Tires in Cookeville does a lot of RV tire business and my new tires were already 10 months old. Go figure!

Regarding the stiffness of the ride with the LRH XZE's, I think that the ride will be a little stiffer, but when I put the Koni's on, it will ride just fine (hopefully).
Hope springs eternal, or something like that!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #12

I put XZE's on my P-30 chassis that weighed 16.5K (didn't have front weight separately) shortly after that tire came on the market. They were rated to 115# at the time. I I came to same conclusion as to weight capacity & pressure- that 85 would do, but 95 was better according to the T.L.A.R. method (That Looks About Right). I too replaced due to front sidewall checking in advance of rear tire replacement (after all there's a spare on each side, right?). Worked out great. Later got new rears. Then went to 22.5's that came "free" with a new coach.