Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #1

I have been reading all the comments on planning softwre (Delorme, Microsoft S&T, Trailer Life Directory) hand held GPS units and other GPS units. I am so confused. I have a PC with a MP4 and use Verizon for internet if no local line is handy. I would like some good mapping software and a matching GPS. I also know that the DIOA provides updates to Delorme and S&T for Escapees, Camping world, flying J, etc to update each.

So what would you recommend that is simple, meets the criteria and what should I expect to pay?

Wade & Michelle
2003 Mountain Aire 3778 Class A
2001 Dodge Durango w/Sterling Tow bar and M&G Brake

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Wade & Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #2

I have been reading all the comments on planning softwre (Delorme, Microsoft S&T, Trailer Life Directory) hand held GPS units and other GPS units. I am so confused. I have a PC with a MP4 and use Verizon for internet if no local line is handy. I would like some good mapping software and a matching GPS. I also know that the DIOA provides updates to Delorme and S&T for Escapees, Camping world, flying J, etc to update each.

So what would you recommend that is simple, meets the criteria and what should I expect to pay?

Wade & Michelle
2003 Mountain Aire 3778 Class A
2001 Dodge Durango w/Sterling Tow bar and M&G Brake

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Wade & Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #3

I use Street Atlas 2003 USA from DeLorme (49.95) and a Magellan Sportrack (149.95 with $30 Rebate until March 30). You also need PC Cable W/Lighter plug (39.95). Works for me.

Frank Smith
Old 03-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #4

I use DeLorme software with a Garmin GPSII+. This works well. I got an interface cable with uses an external power connection and wired it into the DC power wiring. I do suggest getting a pocket-portable GPS unit so that when you get where you are camping, you can use the unit while you are hiking. I have kept from getting lost several times this way. Well.... maybe. I might not have gotten lost without the GPS.... it COULD happen.... ;^)
Old 03-03-2003, 03:03 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have been very satisfied with the DeLorme Eartmate GPS and the 2003 Street Atlas Deluxe software written for the Microsoft XP platform. It is two way voice activated and the large screen of the laptop (HP 15") is very easy to see. Paid $200 for the GPS and software.

RV Wizard Mike & Amy Fulltimers
Norcold Authorized Servicer
Muffin & Kailing (Shih Tzu)s
Ashley and Candi at school
2000 GulfStream 39' Scenic Cruiser on Spartan M.M. w/ 330 Cummins Turbo 94 Blazer 5spd. NASCAR #3 & #8
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:27 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I use the Rand McNally Trip maker software. Now I am using the Trailer Life Campground CD. It is the same software as the Rand McNally, the GPS unit cost $195.00 and works great. It does not talk to you but I get enough of that.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 03-03-2003, 05:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I use Delorme Street Atlas USA 2003 and prior to that used all the other versions, way back to version 4.0. I've upgraded 5 times over the last 10 years but SA2003 is a major improvement over the other versions. It features split screens for GPS work (up close and big picture) and works great in my laptop for my RV travels. I also use Delorme's Earthmate GPS unit, which sits up in the VCR cabinet over the copilot's dash area (fiberglass doesn't block the GPS signal).

You do need to power the GPS somehow. You can use 3 AAA batteries (yuck), or get optional power adaptors to run it off a 12 volt lighter socket or oiff the laptop's PS2 port - but the best way is to get the optional USB adaptor. The USB replaces the serial interface and also powers the GPS so it's now a simple matter of plugging in one plug and you're ready to go. Cost is around $200 for the whole setup, depending upon where you get it from (Delorme website, Ebay, etc.)

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V - Workhorse 20
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:54 AM   #8

My favorite is Rand McNally's Tripmaker and Streetfinder combo with a Rand McNally GPS I got about three years ago for $100. It uses one PS2 and one serial port on my laptop and is powered by the laptop battery.

I really haven't had much use for the GPS, but I find the Tripmaker software very handy. It allows you to enter as many as 28 stopovers and will then rearrange them (if you want) in the best sequence for the trip. The DeLorme program doesn't do that.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #9

I use CoPilot by TravRoute. It uses a USB port and works quite well for me. I have used it for three years and am happy with it. It comes with the GPS and the software can be updated each time they come out with a new version for a discounted price. Fixes are available on the internet for free.

Buddy & Jenna Kidd
Oklahoma City, OK
2001 Horzion
2000 Saturn, BrakeBuddy
WIT 103677, FMCA F291518

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #10

I've used lots of different GPS units but I like the Garmin Etrex Legend best. It's good for auto navigation but is great for taking with you on hikes, boating etc. Very hardy unit and you can download Garmin's branded maps for more detail.

Garmin has several versions of mapping software, their "Topo USA" has a good level of detail for road travel and off-road too. Once you put the detailed maps on the Legend you can search for the nearest exit with gas, lodging, rest or recreation areas. The software does not auto-route but you can do it by hand easily enough.

I belive you can still pick up the Garmin Legend for under $200.00 at Amazon.com - Garmin has a $50.00 rebate. I belive the Topo software runs about $75.00 and can give your your current position if you hook up a gps to your PC (or laptop). You can save 500 personal waypoints, and with a free firmware update from Garmin you can store 10,000 (yes 10k) track points and save 10 tracks up to 750 points each.

Definately the best unit if you want a good cockpit navigator and a take-along GPS.

Alaska Guy
Old 03-16-2003, 03:01 PM   #11

We use DeLorme Streets & Trips with Earthmate and have the USB connection to use to power it with our laptop. Works great...

Travel4Pennies
Old 03-18-2003, 05:52 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
This is a link I found on another discussion topic. They have a file for the Street Atlas software containing locations of Wal Mart, Flying J etc..

http://www.discoveryowners.com/sa2003.htm

C. Wray
cwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I would like to know if my laptop will run a Delorme or Rand Mcnally GPS . It is a Pentium with 64MB and 256mhz with a usb port. Any help would be appreciated and please don't computer jargon me 'cause i'm just a hick from Texas , but learning as fast as I can.
Bulldog

2001 Cougar By Keystone 276 efs
2002 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6 liter Duramax 3:73 rear end http://www.texasboomers.org/

2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:54 AM   #14

I ran CoPilot 2002 on a laptop with simular hardware for over 9000 miles last summer. It had Windows 90/SE installed.
The current version of CoPilot is 2003, but it does not look like anything changed that would affect the computer requirements.

29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote