Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
just got the dezl how do you download to the gps for info I use a Mac
Sorry, we do not have any apple products so I could not tell you how it works with a mac.

And honestly I would have to hook things back up, make up a dummy route and go thru it all again to figure out how I did it before ....
The DEZL did not change the route that we had chosen but we actually just ended up not using the route anyway since the GPS took into account the construction, traffic and other stuff to point out different roads to go around. Not all the time but it was enough for us. And if it wanted to all of a sudden to take a "short cut" (usually because of traffic if would do this) that we just did not want to take we just didn't take it and let it recalc right back to the way we wanted to go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We use paper maps, Ms streets & trips, Gs new trip planner, rand 7720.
You can play with the settings in the GPS to get most of what you want.

LarryK

Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have MS S&T 2013 with a very well populated map add-on. We also have our smart phone and an outdated CD disk type navigation system. With my big rig, I just did not feel comfortable with these so I just bought the GS (Rand McNally) RAND 7725 GPS unit. This unit allows me to add the overall length, height, weight and width of our coach. It seems easy to add multi-stop routes in. I added a multi-stop from the Rochester, NY area to Ocala, Fl. with stops in Binghamton, NY, Woodbine, Md., Roanoke, Va., Asheville, NC, Savannah, Ga. and finally Ocala, Fl.

I will attempt to report back when we complete the trip on Nov. 1st (starting on Oct. 20th) I suspect this fine device will perform admirably.

I will also be checking the route with GS Trip Planner. I believe in pre-planning my trips!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
just got the dezl how do you download to the gps for info I use a Mac
I too am a pc user and do not use Apple products, however moving routes and waypoints is fine through a piece of garmin software called Garmin Express, they do have an Mac version at http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Hope this helps-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #19

I have been using a web based product called RVTRIPWIZARD, the caution is that it is only useable with an internet connection, but it has great features including thousands of campsites all over North America. As the product is web based the author updates campsite information very often. If you are a member of a club (Sam's, fmca,tt) those parks will be prioritized for you. Other info such s as fuel prices, hours of driving, road restrictions are also shown. I think this product is excellent (I have no affiliation with them). I believe the cost is$35 a year. If you encounter a facility that is not in the database and notify the author (very easy process) he will have the site included within a couple of days.

For some the requirement to be online to plan your route may be a show stopper, it has not hindered us in any way but we have only used it for 3 major trips (total of 11k miles).

There are also hot links included to the campsites webpage. They have also included a feature to download your route or waypoints to a compatible GPS, I use a Garmin DEZL and it works great with tripwizard.

Hope this helps- Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
We use the Rand MnNally iPad App, google maps on paper (reviewed prior to departure) and recently a TomTom that came with our new DP integrated into the radio. The most useful is google maps because it's easy to adjust. But the IPad App does incorporate RV stats that you enter (ex. Height, weight, length, qty if LP on board) so we feel a little hesitant to abandon its routing.
What is the title of the Rand McNally app? When I search the App Store it does not find
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #21

The MH that we got this spring has a Garmin GPS system in it. Never played with one before, so thought that it would be fun! Wrong, Jill has a mind of her own and attempted to send me on wrong roads several times. We were pulling a TOAD and some of the turns Jill wanted me to make were not possible. We will look to update the system next spring went we take it out of storage. Besides being in Alaska there are only so many roads to travel and it is HARD to get lost.
It was fun to play with thought!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I too am a pc user and do not use Apple products, however moving routes and waypoints is fine through a piece of garmin software called Garmin Express, they do have an Mac version at http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html Hope this helps-Steve
yup downloaded that and ended up calling garmin the software kept getting lost. In the last few months I switched to a Mac and am still trying to find what works the same and what is different. With my PC I had map source installed and really loved it but garmin stopped making it so even for routing on newer gps units I'm lost

Tags
gps