Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
OWV

GPS, Navigation and Trip Planning

We are in the queue for a new Entrega Aspire 44B and in the meantime doing our due diligence/collecting information leading up to pick-up date and beyond. One thing I would like to know is what people use for trip planning?
  • The GPS that comes with the vehicle.
  • A 3rd party GPS, like Garmin.
  • Mapping software
Ideally I am looking for something that will allow us to plug in the size, weight and height of our unit and make plans based on criteria like scenic routes and/or non interstate routing, not paying tolls, etc. It would be great if we could plan routes on a computer and then plug them into a GPS and go merrily down the road.

Thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire 44B, on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
A Garmin with updated maps, Google maps which can export directly to the Garmin and paper maps as backup. On board GPS are often primitive and difficult to update in comparison. I tried Microsoft streets and maps, cludgy and hard to use.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
MS Streets & Trips works well for me, followed by my Rand McNally 7720 gps that knows my height, etc and what kind of roads etc I prefer to avoid.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We check Mapquest to see which routes and roads we might run into.
We also have a Garmin DEZL 760. If there is a particular route we want to take instead of letting the Garmin decide then we download that one into the Garmin.
We also have the old fashioned paper maps to keep track in case the CB starts going on about a jam or accident then we can and have found a route faster than trying the GPS.
We also have both our cell phones with mapping software added in from Google already just in case we want to look up something without interrupting the GPS while on the route.
If needed we can and have asked for directions for any number of reasons.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
MS Streets & Trips works well for me, followed by my Rand McNally 7720 gps that knows my height, etc and what kind of roads etc I prefer to avoid.
My method also, never give 100% trust in any GPS unit, they are navigation aids.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I use RV Plan 'N" Go 2013 from Undertow Software Corp. I liked the 2012 version better as it had more info about campgrounds but they lost their deal with Affinity Group, Inc (Good Sams) and the 2013 version is not as good, so I still use the 2012 version also! I plan our trips with the software and they print out the campground list and use that to program our GPS.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We use the Rand MnNally iPad App, google maps on paper (reviewed prior to departure) and recently a TomTom that came with our new DP integrated into the radio.

The most useful is google maps because it's easy to adjust. But the IPad App does incorporate RV stats that you enter (ex. Height, weight, length, qty if LP on board) so we feel a little hesitant to abandon its routing.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We just bought a Megellan Roadmate Pro 9165T made for RVs. You input your height, length and weight. It also comes with live traffic info for major metropolitan areas. Up until now we were using the in dash TomTom that came installed in our 43 ft. American Revolution but intended for a small car. We contacted TomTom to buy a software upgrade since they make models for RVs and commercial trucks but we were told no upgrade was available for our Sony unit and we would have to buy a separate unit if we wanted a better system. So we did, but it sure doesn't say TomTom on it. We supplemented the "car" system with Smart Truck Route on an Android phone and an IPad, and google maps as well as a commercial truck atlas. Too many times our inadequate built in nav system took us down streets we had no business going. Too bad the manufacturer didn't install a nav system designed for the motorhome they sold. But what do you expect for $300k?
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Trip planning and RV Nav

I am a former military pilot and I am accustomed to some hi tech Nav planning but alas my 13 Entegra has some hybrid Chinese/Tom Tom Nav system that I truly despised! Then I learned to work around the limitations. My Jeep has a Garmin Nav radio, which IMO is the gold standard, which I think is far better. I formerly planned trips on MS Streets and Trips and also used Garmin Worldmap then transferred files from my laptop, to a memory stick, then to my vehicle....what a PITA. Then my plans change, or I notice something we want to see and begin the cycle again. I don't have Mission Planners anymore.

What I do now is use CoPilot Live on my iPad and develop my plan the day prior. I can change routes or stops very quickly and graphically uint my inger. Then I use Allstays Camp&RV on my iPad to plan my campgrounds. Allstays offers coordinates for each campground which I enter in my klunky Entegra Nav system and it usually gets me very close. I have $30 invested in the two iPad apps and I only use my vehicle Nav system to monitor the route. Overall it works great. If you had a decent laptop with a GPS you could do the same thing but I prefer not to have some laptop and wires out when I drive.

Try CoPilot live and Allstays for your iPad!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #10

Howdy!

I use a GPS app on my tablet and smartphone Co-Pilot live USA which has a setting for RV. Also research with google map and google earth map to look a campgrounds to check them out as we have a large MDT and 5er we're 65' long.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We check Mapquest to see which routes and roads we might run into.
We also have a Garmin DEZL 760. If there is a particular route we want to take instead of letting the Garmin decide then we download that one into the Garmin.
We also have the old fashioned paper maps to keep track in case the CB starts going on about a jam or accident then we can and have found a route faster than trying the GPS.
We also have both our cell phones with mapping software added in from Google already just in case we want to look up something without interrupting the GPS while on the route.
If needed we can and have asked for directions for any number of reasons.
What software do you use that is compatible wiith the Garmin gps and does it have the bells and whistles to plug in height, weight, length of your coach and trip parameters like avoid tolls, use scenic roads, etc.?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mapquest can be imported into the Garmin. Mapquest also allows us to input the MPG of the vehicles to check about how much it will cost for the trip or at least get a close idea of the cost. Did it for the last trip with no problems. I also downloaded some POI's from the POI Factory for free. The Garmin DEZL 760 itself allows us to input all the information about the RV and car.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I use RV Plan 'N" Go 2013 from Undertow Software Corp. I liked the 2012 version better as it had more info about campgrounds but they lost their deal with Affinity Group, Inc (Good Sams) and the 2013 version is not as good, so I still use the 2012 version also! I plan our trips with the software and they print out the campground list and use that to program our GPS.
Can you download the route to a GPS, like the Garmin unit mentioned elsewhere in this thread?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire 44B on order
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We check Mapquest to see which routes and roads we might run into. We also have a Garmin DEZL 760. If there is a particular route we want to take instead of letting the Garmin decide then we download that one into the Garmin. We also have the old fashioned paper maps to keep track in case the CB starts going on about a jam or accident then we can and have found a route faster than trying the GPS. We also have both our cell phones with mapping software added in from Google already just in case we want to look up something without interrupting the GPS while on the route. If needed we can and have asked for directions for any number of reasons.
just got the dezl how do you download to the gps for info I use a Mac
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps