Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Grey tank open at FHU

I did a search but could not find the answer. While camping with FHU can I leave the gate value open on the grey tank? Thank you for your advice

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

You can, but many folks don't. Many hold the water in the grey tank so that water can be used to flush the hose when the blank tank is emptied.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Of course...

IMHO, you can do it any way you want. My daughter, keeps both gray and black closed and empties every few days.

I keep both gray and black open full time since we have a washer/dryer and I don't want to keep remembering to empty the tank. Only exception is our last day in a place if we have been there a while. In that case i close the gray line the day before leaving so i have adequate gray water to flush the line.

Only issue I have seen with leaving it open is the build up of grease in the flex pipe. Of course, with it closed I am sure it would just build up in the gray tank!

I think it is easier to replace the flex line when it gets too bad than have to worry about getting the tank degreased.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Yes

Yes, grey open and black closed is fine. All grey drains should have p-traps so you should not have a chance of back flow of sewer gases. If you smell sewer, close the valve and find out why (empty p-trap?), the gases can be harmful. I usually close the grey the morning of or evening before departure and collect some nice soapy dish and shower water to flush the hose after emptying the black tank. That said I only empty the black tank when it is at least 2/3 full or I can fill it with the in tank flush I added so it has a nice suction and drains well. That means only every few days. Also use lots of water in the black tanks as solids don't flush well. Sorry if you already know all this but wanted to help. There are some good you tubes showing a clear tank and fake waste that demonstrate water volume is the best way to have a clean black tank.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFulltimers View Post
IMHO, you can do it any way you want. My daughter, keeps both gray and black closed and empties every few days.

I keep both gray and black open full time since we have a washer/dryer and I don't want to keep remembering to empty the tank. Only exception is our last day in a place if we have been there a while. In that case i close the gray line the day before leaving so i have adequate gray water to flush the line.

Only issue I have seen with leaving it open is the build up of grease in the flex pipe. Of course, with it closed I am sure it would just build up in the gray tank!

I think it is easier to replace the flex line when it gets too bad than have to worry about getting the tank degreased.
And your solid wastes don't build up....The Pyramid of Poop !
We too leave gray valve open during clothes washing days, But NEVER EVER the black.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
And your solid wastes don't build up....The Pyramid of Poop !
We too leave gray valve open during clothes washing days, But NEVER EVER the black.
Call me non-green. Straight shot from the toilet to the flex pipe and #2 gets a good flush to clear the pipe...is that a problem? Have never experienced the Pyramid of Poop!!! Still takes less water than the toilet in your house which takes a gallon for each and every flush...
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #7

Thanks for everyone's help in this Last thing I want is tank problems��
Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey what ever floats your.....Aahhh....boat.
But if your comparing a S&B house John to a RV one, as to which takes "less water" to flush solids...! "Calling someone non-green" is not exactly what I had in mind.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
NEVER leave your black water tank valve open. It should be at 2/3 full before dumping. Gray can go both ways, I usually leave mine open, but put a little water in it when heading home to slosh around and clean the interior "solids" inner-tank trail. Had a heck of time explaining the black water tank principals to my OCD mother-in-law. She wanted to dump her extremely flat black water tank every day. She just couldn't understand why she was getting build up under her toilet dump pipe.

RV toilets are good for about 10 years, after that you are on borrowed time. there is an interior rubber flapper vent valve that can't be replaced. When it goes bad, your pot will smell all the time. Mother-in-law didn't believe me in this either until she replace her $700 porcilin toilet. No, it wasn't the flange gasket.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We leave the gray tank valve open until the black tank gets about 3/4 full. We close the gray valve, take a couple of showers, then dump the black and gray!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We leave the gray tank valve open until the black tank gets about 3/4 full. We close the gray valve, take a couple of showers, then dump the black and gray!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFulltimers View Post

So have you had any issues with your Black tank readings? In most cases you will because there is never enough water kept in there to allow the Waste float and be washed out. It will start to dry up in the tank and cut the overall capacity down until it won't drain at all. Then you have to figure out how to rehydrate it and get it out.

IMHO never never never leave the black tank valve open. You need that water in there to help with flushing the crap out.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
I used to leave my grey tank open until I I got an infestation of sewer flies, now it stays closed until dumping. The black is always closed until 3/4.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It is best to leave the grey tank closed until ready to dump the tanks.

Some people will leave the grey open and others will leave both open but I like to keep both closed until full.

If you have ever had to open up any of your sewer drains in your house either from the bathtub, shower or sink drains and look inside, well that's what the bottom and sides of your grey tank would look like if it is left open all the time. Lots of black crap, hair, sludge, soap scum, etc.

When closed until full all of that "stuff" get flushed out with the "whoosh" factor while using the 3 inch dump hose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
grey tank, tank