Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
A little more - from November 1973 GMC Thermasan Manual

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i drill a hole using an 18'' long 3/4'' auger drill bit from harbor freight with a 12'' extension from home depot.
i am careful to avoid underground utilities, especially electricity. at the first sign of resistance, i move my hole a foot or so. i cannot tell if i hit a rock or a pipe of some kind.
i put my 1/2'' gray water hose in this hole and dump away. i throttle it to keep the water from coming to the surface. it usually takes about an hour or less to dump 50 gallons, depending on the soil.
after dumping at night, i pull the hose and stow it.
to keep the gray water from smelling bad, i add 1 or 2 denture cleaning tablets similar to efferdent dissolved in hot water just prior to dumping the gray tank. i get the tablets at a dollar store.
a ca state park ranger near san jose told me that this practice was ok with him, just fill in the hole.
at a nevada national forest cg, the host said that it sounded good to him, just don't be too obvious about it.
i have used this system when parked on the street in front of relatives houses too.
in some places i have been, you can legally dump gray water on flower beds but not on food crops or lawns.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

If you are camping in a tent and washing dishes in a bucket or bowl what do you do with the gray water? You dump it! Gray water is not considered "sewage" and I will dump mine anyplace except in a State or National Park. I wish I had a air controlled gray water dump valve so I could dump while driving down the highway. Thought about installing one. Think I have even seen an electric one which would be easier.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #32

In the FlaKeys they water their gardens with grey water, perfectly legal. Here in NC, our state parks have "dry wells" (large holes filled with gravel and covered with grates) on each campsite for tenters to dispose of their dishwater. I dump both black and grey tanks on the ground in my 2 acres of woods and it goes into the same ground my septic tank is in.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

In Texas they have systems that use gray water to water lawns also. My brother in laws house south of Dallas has the system.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
This has been discussed before in other threads but I think it bears repeating, you can purchase an add-on dump valve at your local rv dealer, with the valve attached and closed you can open your grey water valve and black water valve and the 2 tanks will fill each other to level. Saves having to purchase a pump and hardware to pump it over or filling a bucket with grey water and dumping it in your toilet. It works great and I've used this method for many years to extend the time I can wait till having to dump. The valve only costs about $15.00 and is a snap to use.

I like the idea, but........................

Can't the black water backfeed into the grey tank?
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I like the idea, but........................

Can't the black water backfeed into the grey tank?
I think the answer is yes... but only if the black tank is more full (or is holding water which is higher in elevation than the grey tank. Probably not a major problem but this concern is why I haven't done it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
To me it's nothing but soapy water,not harmful to the environment,so I just sneak out at night and drain it.
There are two schools of thought and three schools of law on that.

School one: You are right

School two: You are wrong (And let's just leave it at that)

Law one: NO WAY, only into a swere all discharge
Law two: Gray water (kitchen, lav, shower, washing machine) OK on ground
Law Three; Wash Water (Lav/Shower/Washing machine) only on ground, KITCHEN (Gray) Which contains food particles, only in sewer.

Source: I did a bunch of research many moons ago, I belive those rules (all 3 depending on locaiton) Apply to BLM land and can be found on their web site.

My Position: About 70/30 I agree with you.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think the answer is yes... but only if the black tank is more full (or is holding water which is higher in elevation than the grey tank. Probably not a major problem but this concern is why I haven't done it.

Rick
Why are you concerned about black water getting in your grey water tank? All of the drains in your rv are protected by a p trap to prevent gases from coming up through your drains, same as in your house except in your house all waste ends up going down the same pipe. Many rvers have used the method I've described for years. Some rvs even share the same holding tank for black and grey water- especially rvs with more than 1 bathroom.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Why are you concerned about black water getting in your grey water tank? All of the drains in your rv are protected by a p trap to prevent gases from coming up through your drains, same as in your house except in your house all waste ends up going down the same pipe. Many rvers have used the method I've described for years. Some rvs even share the same holding tank for black and grey water- especially rvs with more than 1 bathroom.

My experience is that the fast discharge of my grey tank will sometimes pull the water out of the p-traps at the sinks, and the "grey tank smell" will come into the house until I refill them. I would rather not have "black tank smell" coming in.

I think that there are supposed to be devices like vacuum breaks on the drains near the p-traps, but they don't seem to work in my unit.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #39

If you don't think gray water smells bad, just have the spring loaded pressure relief valve on your vanity sink go bad. It can really smell. The bids of food and cooking material get into the tank and bacteria go wild in there. The gray water used by golf courses and other places is primary treated by sewage plants (normally triple treated) and is not the same as our gray water that has never been sewage. Having said this, I will admit that I have discharged it myself.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

The gray water used in Texas cities for watering the lawns is untreated right out of a holding tank in the house and includes what comes out of the kitchen sink. This is a city code that you have to do this in a lot of new Texas subdivisions. Even if you never put food particles in a gray water tank it will still smell bad.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #41

The dunes I go to is BLM land and you will get a ticket if you dump grey or black. Actually, you might get a if you dump black, but that's another story.

I asked a ranger if I would get a ticket for taking an outdoor shower and he said: "Probably". I don't think they actually would, but they legally could.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Land of Fruits and Nuts....good one..

Tags
water