Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

I was just reading about an individual whose Class A was struck by lightening and the subsequent damage that this caused. Has anyone investigated the positive or negative merit of driving a grounding rod and grounding the chassis while parked (campground or home).
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #2

I was just reading about an individual whose Class A was struck by lightening and the subsequent damage that this caused. Has anyone investigated the positive or negative merit of driving a grounding rod and grounding the chassis while parked (campground or home).
Randy
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

In essence,the coach is grounded through the neutral if hooked up to an electrical service in a campground.A ground rod would probably be redundant.I feel very vulnerable in my plastic shack on wheels when the thunder cracks!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #4

What I am curious about, Would the ground rod protect the electronics by giving the lightening induced voltage spike a cleaner path to ground or would it turn the MH into a lightening rod and attract stikes?
Randy
Old 06-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I realy don't think it would protect The apliances in your MH. Lightning hit a house a block away from ours and I lost 1 TV and a garagedoor opener and several other people lost electrical items and every house here has an 8ft. grounding rod.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The ground rod question comes up from time to time, and the consensus is, it's not going to help.

The more serious issue is the chance of hitting the buried utilities at a campsite when driving the rod in.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The more serious issue is the chance of hitting the buried utilities at a campsite when driving the rod in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT would be a pain in the backside, or worse, to find it with a high dollare tire as you pull in.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #8

The elec. system has multiple grounds that are, if properly installed, a much better ground than any single rod you could put in. Driving the rod into the various underground utilities would make you liable for damages. Also how would you get it back out of the earth? Just forget it.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The more serious issue is the chance of hitting the buried utilities at a campsite when driving the rod in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That should light up your life.

Lightning will most likely strike the tallest object. Try to park in the vicinity of a nice tall utility pole or tree (pines work well) but not so close as to have them fall on you.

If none are available, try to get a golfer to stand outside well away from your MH and wave off the storm with a couple of his irons. Try to pick a golfer that you don't particularly like.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #10

The MH is not grounded thru the neutral, there is a seperate wire in the cord just for equiptment grounding (though the neutral and ground are connected together at the utility service). With a direct strike not much of anything is going to save it. Most damage is done by a strike in close proximity traveling through utility lines. If you have a surge guard or simular, it will help. A single driven ground rod is about the worst ground you can get. Metal cold water lines buried for more than 10', re-bar in concrete footers and others are far superior. Though ground rods are easier to add later. You can drive multiple ground rods at your home tied to your utility service. Having a better ground does not necessacarily draw lighting, it just gives it a better path to ground instead of running through your house and motor home. If you own or lease a MH lot, install extra ground rods at that meter. Call the utilities protection line to have them mark the utilities, it is free and is much better than driving an 8' copper rod through a 240 volt electric line or gas line.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
[QUOTE]object. Try to park in the vicinity of a nice tall utility pole or tree (pines work well) but not so close as to have them fall on you.

If none are available, try to get a golfer to stand outside well away from your MH and wave off the storm with a couple of his irons. Try to pick a golfer that you don't particularly like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I know a few

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
In a bad electrical storm, I would rather be insulated, jacks up, power and water diconnected; just sitting on the rubber tires. Electrcity; in this case lightening will take the path of least resistance. I want to be high resistance.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
In a bad electrical storm, I would rather be insulated, jacks up, power and water diconnected; just sitting on the rubber tires. Electrcity; in this case lightening will take the path of least resistance. I want to be high resistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RV Wizard is right on !!

At a recent local MH rally we had a well known local meterologist as a speaker. I asked him a question about lightning strikes on motorhomes. His response was that at the early sign of a bad thunderstorm, put jacks up, disconnect electric line and water. He added if you hear thunder or see a lightning flash you are close enough to be struck.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
During a lightning storm you want to be un-grounded.

Think wearing a pair of golf shoes in a lightning storm. Not good.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote