Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Guardian RV generator oil leak......

We have been planning a 3 month, 12,500 mile round trip to Alaska and back, leaving in late June. Lots of planning and preventave maintence issues. The 7.5 KW generator needs another oil change at 100 hours. Because it was at 92.2 hours I figured that was close enough. So knowing the generator would be getting a lot of use on this trip, on April 8, 2009 I changed the oil, oil flilter and air filter. After changing those items I started it up to exercise it and check for leaks.

Well, I found a leak, but in a very strange place, The oil was leaking out the bottom pan, out of the bottom air out screen. No leak at the filter or anything visable to me, just out the bottom onto the ground. I immediately called Camping World to schedual service. The soonest they could fit me in was May 15 and that was a maybe. But what really got me was that when I explained where the oil was leaking out, the service rep said it was probably the two spring clamps on the oil cooler line. And to get to that area, the generator has to be removed from the MH, all the outer panels removed, some more inner panels removed, replace the spring clamps with screw type clamps, put it all back together, reinstall in the MH and tested. 99% labor and 1% parts.

Long story short, it is now June 2, 2009 and after paying over $900.00, I have my MH back today with a working, non oil leaking generator. According to Camping World the labor is not covered. Because we leave for Alaska in a few weeks I can not afford the time to argue the issue, so the bill has been paid and we can start packing and attend to other issues.

Would like to know if any others have had oil leak issues with their generators. I will be writing the waranty department of Generac for an explination. There are only 92 hours on the generator and it is borderline between in the second year and third year of ownership.

Am tying to be positive and look forward to our Alaska adventure and not get all steamed up about the use of $1 parts that vibrate off causeing so much cost, time and agrivation.

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #2

Guardian oil leak

I too have a similar aged and used Guardian RV 75 generator with a similar oil leak. I've just noticed it dripping oil on my driveway! I'm calling to schedule service tomorrow. Did you get any satisfaction with regard to the Camping World charge to fix the oil leak? I was expecting this to be covered under warranty!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
labman2, how did your oil leak repair turn out. I've got the same genny and just discovered what sounds like a similar leak. We're traveling so I need to come up with a plan.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kash,

I have a Guardian 5.5 that has been seriously leaking oil the past two months.

The oil drips onto the exhaust manifold or tailpipe as it exits the bottom ventilation screen. This causes lots of smoke and smell. When my generator is off, it drips oil and puddles under my 2007 motorhome.

If you get any help with what appears to be a Guardian problem, post a reply, and contact me and to let me know.

Thanks,
Hrudey
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hrudey, on a 2007 I would think you're still in warranty. Call a generac service facility with your serial number and they can tell you if it's covered. Mine's leaking in the same area but I may try and get through this trip and wait till I get home in Florida.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #6

I checked with Guardian and they will not cover my oil leak under warranty. My oil leak is not too bad right now so I'm in a wait and see mode. I'm carrying extra oil for it as I travel. Maybe Gaurdian will wake up and help with this issue. I will certainly be cautioning anyone that will listen not to buy anything with a Gaurdian gen set in it because of this issue.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did they have an expanation why an oil leak is not covered?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #8

Yes. The warranty, except for major engine parts specified in the owner's manual, is only for one year. I was approaching 2 years.

labman2

2006 Kountry Star -- Workhorse W24
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've yet to go through this. I looked at the warranty and don't see that exclusion. This is from their web site.
WARRANTY SCHEDULE – CONSUMER/PERSONAL APPLICATIONS
YEARS ONE AND TWO –
100% (one hundred percent) coverage on part(s), labor, removal and reinstallation listed:

• Engine –
All components

• Alternator –
All components

YEAR THREE –
100% (one hundred percent) only on selected part(s) and labor listed [Any labor and part(s) not listed, and removal
and reinstallation are the owner’s responsibility]:

•
Rotor, Stator, Computer Control Board (part numbers 0A6060 and 0A3369) and inverter, (if applicable with regard to the generator)

Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, Crankshaft, Piston(s), Valve, Valve Lifter(s), Intake and Exhaust Manifolds

Here is the entire warranty. http://www.generac.com/Warranty/RV_Warranty.pdf
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #10

I'm in year three. I contacted Newmar last week and they contacted Generac on my behalf. A Generac representative asked me to take the unit to one of their service providers and have it inspected for possible warranty repair. Although that sounds hopeful, I'm somewhat pessimistic. My warranty coverage is based on my anniversary date of Mar. 17th. Naturally, I discovered my problem in April this year, right after entering into my 3rd year. I'm traveling in New England right now and will have the unit inspected when I get home at the end of this month. I still consider the genset to be 2 years old but I'm just beginning my 3rd year for warranty purposes.

Labman2

2006 Kountry Star -- W24 Workhorse chassis
Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today I had a factory authorized service rep work on my unit. Mine had the same symptoms as kash and turned out to be the same leak on the oil cooler. Mine did not have spring clamps but the screw type clamps were so loose you could turn them around on the hoses. The job took about 5 hours of steady work. The generator had to be removed from the MH and quite a bit of disassembly to get to the oil cooler. All four clamps were loose. I was very happy with the tech who actually owns the company. If you're in the Pennsylvania area, here is the contact info. Kevin's Electrical Service LTD. 275 N. Middlesex Road, Carlisle, Pa Phone: 1-800-492-9176.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #13

I removed the generator and found leaking oil lines to/from the oil cooler! I've attached a photo. I think I've fixed my problem. I've re-installed the genset and all seems to be working properly now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01626.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1777  
Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great photo. I guess the Generac Service Provider wasn't any help. I've had some oil in the drip pan since my repair but I think it's from that foam being saturated with oil. I haven't seen the oil level decrease. I've also heard that Generac has a kit to help with this problem instead of just tightening the hose clamps. Good luck. Bob