Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

GVW value to put on DMV form REG 4008

I am going to the DMV to transfer tittle of my newly purchased motorhome. Is the GVW on the plate inside of the door jam the weight to use for the declared gross vehicle weight?
(The weight that equals the total unladen weight of the vehicle plus the heaviest load that will be transported on the vehicle)

The plate says, GVW = 16,500, 11,000 rear, 5,500 front. Is that the unladen weight?
There is a range schedule that says, 15,001-20,000 is code "B".
Should I use this code, or go weigh the vehicle?
My appointment is tomorrow and I really don't have time to get it weighed.
Bottom line question:
What does my motorhome weigh completely empty if the GVW is 16,500?
The form states that if I operate the vehicle at a higher weight then stated, there could be substantial penalties.
Then there is the CGW, combined gross weight.

I have a 1996 30' Rexhall Aerbus on a P3 Chevy 454 V8 chassis.

Thanks,
Augedawg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150221_140831.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	87128  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGEDAWG View Post
I am going to the DMV to transfer tittle of my newly purchased motorhome. Is the GVW on the plate inside of the door jam the weight to use for the declared gross vehicle weight?
(The weight that equals the total unladen weight of the vehicle plus the heaviest load that will be transported on the vehicle)

The plate says, GVW = 16,500, 11,000 rear, 5,500 front. Is that the unladen weight?
There is a range schedule that says, 15,001-20,000 is code "B".
Should I use this code, or go weigh the vehicle?
My appointment is tomorrow and I really don't have time to get it weighed.
Bottom line question:
What does my motorhome weigh completely empty if the GVW is 16,500?
The form states that if I operate the vehicle at a higher weight then stated, there could be substantial penalties.
Then there is the CGW, combined gross weight.

I have a 1996 30' Rexhall Aerbus on a P3 Chevy 454 V8 chassis.

Thanks,
Augedawg
NO, the GVW is the rating assigned by the chassis and coach builder indicating the most weight it was designed to carry on its 2 axles. Don't confuse the issue by worrying about the GCWR, that is the total of what it can carry and what it can tow.

Only a trip to the scales can answer the other question highlighted above.

I think the CA DMV is looking for the manufacturer's stated GVW, so I suggest you simply give them that, and then don't get caught by driving an overloaded vehicle into an accident (you will not likely ever get weighed otherwise).

OBTW, you have a GM/Chevy P32 chassis, 'cause they were ALL model P32. You exact model number will read : P???32 with the ??? being a 3 digit code for the wheel base length.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

If you're close to a weigh station or county dump, get the rig weighed there. As a sidebar, you'd like to know what the front and rear axle weights are for tire inflation, too.

The printed weight and the one I had to pay taxes on was 3,000 heavier than the actual weight of the MH.

You pay by the pound, so there's that.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating) is the maximum permissible weight of the fully loaded motor home.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) is the GVWR - UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) - full fresh water weight - full propane weight - sleeping capacity weight rating

Our 2015 45UP has the following weight ratings

GVWR - 51,300 lbs
UVW - 37,580 lbs (unloaded vehicle weight)
Fresh water 90 gal - 747 lbs
Propane Weight - 82 lbs (but doesn't have propane)
SCWR - 616 lbs (4 persons @ 157 pounds/person)

CCC - 12,275 lbs (how much extra stuff I can put in it)

GCWR - 66,300 (includes any other stuff/cargo, tongue weight of towed vehicles)

Alabama initially took our UVW at 37,580 when computing our tag/taxes. As much as I didn't want to, I went back to the tag office and had to tell them that they had figured it wrong and we needed to recompute the tag/taxes on our unit.

We settled on an X5 commercial plate to be on the safe side which allows me to go to 54,999 lbs without getting into any issues.

It was only $75 more per year but now I don't have to worry about getting a ticket because I'm overloaded.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The DMV wants the GVW.. You gave that as being 16,500 lbs from the placard on the vehicle. Why is there a question?
Yes you need to have it weighed - each axle at a minimum (at all 4 corners for best results) for tire pressure purposes but all that discussion is superfluous to the question...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
The DMV wants the GVW.. You gave that as being 16,500 lbs from the placard on the vehicle. Why is there a question?
Yes you need to have it weighed - each axle at a minimum (at all 4 corners for best results) for tire pressure purposes but all that discussion is superfluous to the question...
H. Miller
I agree!
Add to that.... the OP needs the "actual weight" of both his front and his rear axles when the coach is loaded for travel...(to be sure HE has not overloaded either axle).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRVDoU View Post
............ As much as I didn't want to, I went back to the tag office and had to tell them that they had figured it wrong and we needed to recompute the tag/taxes on our unit.

We settled on an X5 commercial plate to be on the safe side which allows me to go to 54,999 lbs without getting into any issues.

It was only $75 more per year but now I don't have to worry about getting a ticket because I'm overloaded.
I have travelled more than 150,000 miles in Class A coaches, crossed international borders, and passed thru many inspection stations (mostly border patrol operated stops on the interstates, and have NEVER been asked about my weights, or sent over a state's DOT scale. I'm thinking you are worrying about an event that is very unlikely to ever occur. All that said, are you sure you aren't paying higher insurance premiums because of that COMMERCIAL plate?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

REG 4008 applies to Commercial Vehicles over 10001 lbs. My F350 PU with. GVWR of 13K required commercial plates and fees based on the weight of the vehicle and any thing I towed. Unless you are using yours as a commercial vehicle, maybe I missed that, you should be paying for a HouseCar, not for commercial plates.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Thanks.
On section 1 of form REG 343, it asks how many axles, and unladen weight, with 2 check boxes, 1 for "actual", and the other for "estimated".

On section B of form REG 4008, it asks for GVW/CGW weight range, and charges CVRA fees according to this code for the weight range. 15,001-20,000 is code "B".
If the manufacturer's GVW states 16,500, could it be likely that I would be traveling under 15,000?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

If it's a deal to be monetarily under what the GVW published rating is ( as my MH was by a ton), then go have your coach weighed empty in all chambers and low on fuel.

If you don't care about paying, just take it into the station and tell the tale about published weights. Have I missed why you asked the question?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Motorhomes in California are registered as house cars and are considered Commercial vehicles. You should not have to pay weight fees and they shouldn't ask for a weight certificate.

My California registration doesn't show vehicle weight. In fact after I purchased the coach new in CA, DMV wanted me to take in for smog test. I contacted DMV and explained that it was Diesel and a GVW of 31,000 lbs. They never asked for anything else regarding the weight of the coach.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think you need to fill out a REG 4008, they are only for commercial vehicles that are for hire and have weight fees due, and MotorHomes do not pay weight fees, nor do we have a CALT number assigned. Anytime you tell DMV it is Commercial, you will end up with a Smog Check that will be needed, and end up going back to DMV and tell them it is a MotorHome.
What you need to fill out is a REG 343, in Section 1, line 3, check the "Auto" box. Answer "No" in the for hire and commercial vehicle lines.
This is what I filled out when I registered mine, and I brought it in from out of state. If you check any of the yes boxes for commercial or for hire you will have to pay additional fees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reg343.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	87432  
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

Thanks.
That is what I needed.
woof
Old 03-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

By the weight, (no pun intended),
my rig weighs 14,000 empty, front end is 5,400.
I just ordered some Henderson springs. 5400-5900lb range, and a sway bar for the front.