Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My rear tires are running about the same. Wanli front tires are 7--8 degrees hotter. Probably because the front has more loading per tire, 4000 for the front and 3500 for the rear. On Sat I am leaving MS and pressing on to San Antonio. Thus far the weather is cool but I expect it hotter as I go west. So I will look for hot inner tires.

Oh I looked at new Michlins on an MH at the local dealer here and they had the B6 carolina code.

Sure hope these tires hold up until I get back but you never know.

Worried about the Wanli's

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #30

Wayne:

At least your problem wasn't as bad as one I studied while at Boeing. A 727 had taxied a long way to the runway at an East-coast airport. The crew didn't realise that one of the main gear brakes was dragging.

After a normal take-off, gear up and climbing through about 12,000 feet, there was a loud bang, followed by rapid decompression of the cabin. They declared an emergency and landed safely.

On inspection and further analysis, it turned out that the tire had heated up to such an extent as a result of the dragging brake, that combustible gases had been released from the tire material into the inflated volume and then there was a spontaneous combustion explosion that blew a hole in the aft cargo compartment pressure bulkhead, an irregular eliiptical shape about 20" x 12". If it hadn't been for some US mailbags jamming in the hole and reducing the rate of decompression, the airplane could have been lost.

It was calculated that the pressure caused by the explosion reached an instataneous peak of about 12,000 psi! The stainless steel cords in the tire bead had failed in tension.

That's a major reason why airplanes use nitrogen in their tires, but unless your motorhome can get to 160 mph with a dragging brake, you don't need to bother with a nitrogen fill.

By the way, as a local (Anacortes), I'm glad to hear someone's business in the area getting such a positive recommendation. There are still some good guys out there.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #31

Great posting! I'm leaving for a 7K round trip very soon and I had my 8 year, 62K old Goodyear's replaced last week with Continental HSR 1. No problems with the Goodyear's at all, no cracking, rubber still soft, and at least 50% of the tread left. The age was really a concern for me and is the only reason I replaced them. Now looking at some of these posts I'm glad I did as I bought this coach used with 23K on it and I haven't a clue as to what the previous owner might have hit with those tires. Went with with Continentals largely for price and the good luck my repair facility has had with them, Michelin's were $1200 more. Love the Michelin's on my motorcycle!
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
The inners on my MH typically run 6-10 degrees hotter than the matching outside tire........
Ernie
Ernie, I believe you are correct. In the last couple days I paid more attention to heat when we stopped. I have an IR thermometer and the inner dual always reads higher than the outer dual. Logically, it could be because there is dissipation on the outer tire exposed to the air. Not going behind the inner tire, but just reaching over the outer, the heat is trapped in by the outer tire. I just might crawl under and see what the back side of the inner dual reads - NOT.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
My local tire dealer carries Wanli tires. I am considering putting them on my 40' Country Coach. It sounds like you are not convinced they are a safe tire. The weight capacity looks good and the groove looks like it would be quite. Any additional concerns that I should have?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
The above message should have been addressed to Greystroke.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrlirv2 View Post
My local tire dealer carries Wanli tires. I am considering putting them on my 40' Country Coach. It sounds like you are not convinced they are a safe tire. The weight capacity looks good and the groove looks like it would be quite. Any additional concerns that I should have?

Mainly because of what I read in these forums. My Wanli steering tires (255/70 22.5) were put on in 2007 before I bought the coach. Performance over the last 9000 miles this last year has not been a problem but I do fear them for everything that comes out on the forums about Chinese tires. I have never had to add over a couple of pounds pressure to them so at least they are holding air. When they are 5 years old I may buy the Michelins equivalents. The Wanli s are not cheap but not as expensive as Michelins. So I don't know if I can recommend them but so far they are serving me well...so far. I will keep them at least 2 more years. Who knows I might buy 2 more for the front.

The tires are 16 ply S-3073

If you shine a really bright light on the tire there is some spider type cracking but is not noticable in normal lighting conditions. So I am watching that. The cracking on my old michelins was visable in dull light.

If you buy them give us a report on them. I don't know of anyone that uses them.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote