Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Driver, I too was a happy Michlin man until all the cracking,checking. They also have a chart that shows the acceptable amount of cracking before the tire is unsafe. To me any cracking is unacceptable. The amount of tire failures that are reported on irv2 seem to be heavily weighted toward Michlins. Granted, Michlins are the predominant tire on RV's so therefore they would have more failures than other less popular brands. It was the cracking issue that put me off to the brand. Like you I am very aware of my tires and their care and would not leave my driveway without a TPMS. So far I have driven my RV's about 100,000 miles without a tire problem and I aim to keep it that way. Thats my story. Happy trails !!

WAYYyyyyy too many possible contributing factors to blame a specific name brand for RV tire failures - loads applied, speeds traveled, weather conditions and routes - heat of Nevada or cold of Minnesota as well as unexpected road hazards encountered - the brick you ran over last summer at 65 MPH might not have blown the tire right at that moment - but when it DOES fail the next year on a smooth freeway in good weather at 55 MPM - who or what will get the blame?

"Buy American" to get good or superior tires? Well - maybe, and for sure, there ARE plenty of dangerous cheapie foreign tires out there - but I've been pretty well satisfied with my TOYO's and Michelins - and even the Carlisle tires on our 5er and boat trailer seem to be holding up quite well...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary K7GLD, I never had a MICHLIN fail. I take care of my tires and keep them inflated to the recommended tire pressure. I did however, have lots and lots of cracks. Outside sidewalls inside sidewalls. When not on the road my motorhomeis kept in my garage.
Michlin knows their tires crack and check, otherwise they would never have published a chart showing the acceptable amount of sidewall checking. I cherish life too much to accept ANY checking or cracking. Money is not the issue, I want the safest tire that money can buy so that I can travel with peace of mind. Simple as that.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey ya'll,

My post was not a bashing of any manufacturer. If you look at it there is more about the wonderful service that I received and the method in which they took care of me. Had it been anything other than the service I received I would have politely identified that and leave a conclusion upon using the service again.

Ya'll can start a thread on tire recommendations and the reasons why you would recommend that brand. Notice, I did not say why you would not recommend that brand. Let the reader decide on the number of positives vs. the number of negatives.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Wayne, You never mentioned what brand you had and were very positive in all of your remarks. I however read the brand name from the picture you posted and said they had cracking and or checking issues which they agree with, hence their chart. I would never suggest any brand over another. That is a choice each tire buyer must decide for themselves. I myself had very good service from my Michlins.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toooo many blowouts are happening. Why? I met a man at the park who had 3 blowouts over a couple years (both fronts and one inside dually). When asked, why the blowouts? He said the manufacture replaced all three tires due to tire defects.

There was a certain popular tire manufacture that would never publically admit there was a problem until they were forced. Twice they held onto defective issues while people were getting killed on the roads.

Why is the commercial trucking industry not experiencing blowouts? Are they?

I use Pressure-Pro TPMS (never buy again) to monitor all tire pressures at a glance. It does help each day to see what my tire pressures are by cycling through each one (when working). Issues I have with Pressure-Pro are many and another topic.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just my opinion, but if you are under the impression that made in USA is indicative of a quality product, be it a tire or other product, you are sadly mistaken. Some of the best products including tires are foreign made. Anyone ever had any expierience with say General, or Uniroyal products? Also, all Michelins are NOT made in Carolina

Gary, I too am giving the Toyo's a go on my W22. I had 4 M143's installed on the rear. Haven't got that many miles on them yet, but so far I like them. I replaced the original Michelin XRV's which were badly cracked, though they still had lots of tread depth left. I replaced the original front XRV's, two years ago, due to sidewall cracking. I am using Michelin XZX's in place of them, hoping to avoid cracking. So far, so good.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A second thought:
I believe a saving grace is that the tire blew out against the other dual. Had it blown the other way I suspect there would have been damage. Quite a concussion.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #22

A comment on tire cost:

Michelin XRV's(6 ea) $3,286.25
Toyo M154 (6 ea) $2,200.15

I just ordered the Toyo's as I can't see $1,086 and some change difference in the tires. Possibly if I put 100K miles a year but at the rate most people put miles they will time out long before they wear out. My MH is six years old and has 22K miles and the current tires look new, one or two hard to find cracks, but they were made in late '03, so I'm changing them. I've also been told that the outside doesn't always indicate what the fault is, Michelins in particular (or so I've heard) break down on the inside long before they show too much exterior degradation due to calendar age.
Since this MH is new to me they ought to last the lifetime I plan to keep it. Assuming no road hazard issues...
Phaetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was wrong once - well never mind, I was just mistaken.

The tire blew into the frame and accessories.

There is no damage.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #24

We had the left inside rear blow just like that on I-75 just south of Atlanta on our way to bike week. The force was so great it blew the whole fender right off the coach. Nothing else was damaged. I had to buy the replacement tire. Insurance took care of the fender to the tune of $2000. Limped of the super slab and ended up in a parking lot between a liquor store and a Wendys. On the second pix you can see the blow out on the inside tire.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	4435   Click image for larger version

Name:	061.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	4436  

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the XRVs on the back but on the front I have two Wanli tires. They are regroovable truck tires.(255/70/R22.5)

They ride smooth enough...any opinion on these tires?

They were on the MH when I purchased it.

Also, does any one know why it is usually the inside tire that blows?

My inside tires have no cracking but the outer tires do.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Greystroke,
See my original post. I had run that tire flat for a few miles previously from a valve leak. It was inspected and I was told it was okay. I guess it really wasn't. Both of those dual tires were replaced today. Two new 255/80R22.5's to the tune of $1079 total including service. I'm satisfied.

It could be that the inner dual is not as easily inspected as the outer tire. That may have some accounting on why it blows more frequently, it's not check as thoroughly. Just an opinion.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the inner tires are exposed to more heat from engine.

mike
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #28

The inners on my MH typically run 6-10 degrees hotter than the matching outside tire.
Zippers occur due to the additional fatigue on the radial ply's due to running low. Even 20 PSI low can triple or worse the bending at the intersection of the tread and sidewall; tends to be concentrated.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote