Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #1

Had hail storm recently, and the (fins that surround the coils) have multiple dents. Have tested both the A/Cs and both work fine. Anything that I should have checked out? Am sure Insurance will cover it, but if this is no threat to the performance of the A/Cs, then I wont do it.Thanks, Phil.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #2

Had hail storm recently, and the (fins that surround the coils) have multiple dents. Have tested both the A/Cs and both work fine. Anything that I should have checked out? Am sure Insurance will cover it, but if this is no threat to the performance of the A/Cs, then I wont do it.Thanks, Phil.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'am sure you understand the air must pass over the coils. The fins increase the transfer of heat from the coils to the air. If the fins are collasped to the point that air does not pass freely they should be 'opened.'

If the coils show any damage, suggest you have a leak test done.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #4

Use a butter knife and VERY carefully insert between bent fins to straighten them. That's what a repair person would do, using a "fin comb".

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #5

Steve's right.

The best investment in a small light tool to carry onboard your RV is a multi size fin comb. This not only will keep the airflow over your condenser coils open by allowing you to straighten them out, but will work for your tow vehicle, Toad, or Motorhome fins on the front of the vehicle, as well as the A/C unit/s on your home if you are not a fulltimer..

Poor air flow from bent fins would cause you're A/C unit to run high head pressure, thus decreasing the efficiency of your air conditioning system. It would also make your compressor run harder, use more electricity, not cool your RV/Vehicle as well and possibly cause premature system failure. I also use this tool to clean indoor evaporator coils. If you have deep embedded dirt within the coil you can use this tool to get the dirt out.

Here are a few examples of them, which range in price from about 5 bucks to 15 bucks.

Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...7404-1410-AC90

Metal fin comb
http://a-1appliance.stores.yahoo.net/fincomb.html

Plastic multi size fin comb, which I prefer
http://www.tooldesk.com/products/pro...il.aspx+id+127

How do you keep hail and tree limbs from bending your coils in the first place? With this:

A/C Shield for RV
RV Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The best investment in a small light tool to carry onboard your RV is a multi size fin comb. This not only will keep the airflow over your condenser coils open by allowing you to straighten them out, but will work for your tow vehicle, Toad, or Motorhome fins on the front of the vehicle, as well as the A/C unit/s on your home if you are not a fulltimer..

Poor air flow from bent fins would cause you're A/C unit to run high head pressure, thus decreasing the efficiency of your air conditioning system. It would also make your compressor run harder, use more electricity, not cool your RV/Vehicle as well and possibly cause premature system failure. I also use this tool to clean indoor evaporator coils. If you have deep embedded dirt within the coil you can use this tool to get the dirt out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #7

Thanks for excellent responses. Appreciate your time, very helpful.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Once you get the fins straightened, I suggest a trip to Camping World or similar to get the grills they handle to mount on the AC cover that protects the fins from damage from hail and branches. They work! They are around $15.00 ea.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 AM   #9

DSouthw524,
They are $30.00 for the pre-made grills. Click on the last link in my post above for the page on Camping World's website.

Or you can go to your friendly local welding shop, with the exact dimensions of the A/C shroud opening and see if they have a piece of 1/2 inch expanded metal scrap they'd be willing to cut to size for you. $5 at most. Paint and install with four nuts and bolts. Under 10 bucks for the DIYers.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #10

DSouthw524,

Oops! You were right, I used the first website to come up which gave a referrel to Camping world with that non-sale price. They are actually on sale right now for 16.95 at CW, and $12.99 to club members. However the regular price was $29.99.

Get em while you can!

Here's that link.

Actual price for fin shield at CW.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Another cheap fix is to go to the hardware store and get a roll of "hardware cloth". This is simply a super heavy duty screening, with about 1/4 inch spacing in the screening. Cut oversize, bend it over like box sides on the four sides, then trim for a good friction fit inside the shroud. Keeps bees out of there also, and no screws to mess with. Has been working well for me.