Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #43

I bought ,use and like the de-ionizer from Watersticks.com. Does it make your coach 100% spot free..no....but really close and it depends on the hardness on your water your using. I've it used now for about 5 years and the refills last me almost a year for around $15, but I'm frugal with it too !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
The April 2014 Motor Home magazine just came out and it has an article on paint swirl removal and sealant on page 53. He said it takes about 14 hours on his 36 foot motorhome. That'd kill a good weekend!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When we bought our Monaco Diplomat in 2005, I was 48 years old and everything still worked.....on my body that is. I waxed that coach probably three to four times a year by hand, as a proud new owner. The front got waxed almost every trip and I often waxed it while on long trips before we drove home.

I've used Rejex, Meguiars, Blue Corral, Zymol, NuFinish and several other spray on waxes. It was a 36' and I was able to wax the entire coach at one time. As the years went by, I was still able to wax the coach often, but I slowed down on how much I could do at one time. Often doing the lower half one day and the upper half another day.

Of all the waxes I've tried, I found that the NuFinish actually held the shine the longest. The Meguiars, a paste wax, was a pretty close second. The Meguiars was the most successful in rejuvenating my 3M mask and lasting more than one trip.

We now have a new Dutch Star that is 3' longer and seems about 5' taller. For me, a coach doesn't seem like it's mine until I wax it from head to toe. We've had the coach for a month and each time I walk out and think about waxing it, now at 58 years old, my arms start to ache, I groan a little, slump my shoulders and walk back into the house.

Today, I hand waxed the rear and my shoulders were killing me. I've been using a rolling mechanics seat to do the lower sides, but decided it's time to buy a good quality buffer. This thread was timely as last night I was looking for a Porter Cable Dual Action buffer I could buy locally. I was anxious to see what "statgeek" had to say since he's using a buffer.

The Porter Cable info says the buffer will stall if you put to much pressure on and are endanger of burning the paint. Now I just need to find a good quality liquid wax for the buffer.
I bought the Milwaukee Heavy duty Polisher. Be careful that you don't burn the paint. I know what it looks like
It takes me 1 week to do the 30 fter.(repaired torn rotary cuff) on 1 arm. Arthritis in other hand. But I Get Her Done!!!
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

The best product I have used over the past 20 years is Protect-All. It goes on easy and there is no buffing with a buffer plus it lasts long. I use it on my Motorhome, car and boat plus my bicycle.

I usually do my RV twice a year and it takes me about 4 hours to do the whole coach including the windows. The product that I use for the tires is Turtle Wax Spray Tire cleaner. 303 is a good product but will wash off when it rains I use it on my inflatable boat as that is what they recommend. It has to be applied often as boat goes in the water.

Again I would highly recommend Protect-All and it also removes black streaks.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the Porter Cable 7424 polisher today, along with some good quality liquid wax. I did one entire side this afternoon. The polisher made it easier, but it's still gets heavy after awhile. The front, back and one side are done. Hope to knock out the other side tomorrow.

Since the coach is new, I'm going to get a coat on the roof. I think I'll use the NuFinish with the buffer up there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dutch star don, you beat me to it. I was going to warn folks that due to the weight of some buffers, they can actually make the job more difficult. I used a heavy one from harbor freight (worked well) to remove some medium oxidation from my last coach and I could definitely feel it the next day. Needless to say that was the last gelcoat coach I will ever own. Doing the new one by hand is a breeze.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING that will wash, dry and wax a motorhome better, faster and cheaper than a 16 year old boy that wants to use the car Friday night!

Frank
Mr LeMans

They also make most excellent snow removal machines
Mr LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
For me the biggest pain is dealing with water after I dry the coach. Takes forever to dry. Anyone use this: CRSpotless Water Systems™ Spotless Car Wash De-Ionized Spotless Water Chris
Yes, I have the big twin cylinder one with the hand cart. I used quite a bit of the resin life with my hard water, so I had the soft water side plumbed in with the outside water tap. Now we will see how fast the resin deteriorates. I also have a backpack style leaf blower that I use to blow the deionized water off with. I'm scared of water spotting on this giant machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1296141513.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	57710  
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I bought the Porter Cable 7424 polisher today, along with some good quality liquid wax. I did one entire side this afternoon. The polisher made it easier, but it's still gets heavy after awhile.
Sounds weird, but could you adapt some kind of harness to the buffer? I'm thinking maybe one of those kind that come with a weed wacker?
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
shinney coach

I've read many of these threads over the years and here's my opinion:

Just about any good wax product will make the finish look good. It seems that they will all last about 5 or 6 months, plenty of time for a few coctails.

I have been using Mothers cleaner carnuba wax for some time now (even bought a new can) and I try to wax once a year. In between I use a product called 'wax as you dry'. It seems to shine very good and extends the original wax job.

I agree that I'm not as young and limber as I once was but you really can't beat that feeling of a project ' well done'.

Tom
tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Do a search in this site for Red Max Pro. Its no longer available in that name,but Zep Wet look is the same product. You can do a search on that also.

You need to do a great prep job, but the application is 1/10 the work, and a great shine!
Yes and now there are several posts from folks that've used that product asking how to remove it because it turned yellow.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do have a reaquest for those who have not yet waxed their MH but are thinking about it.

Log your MPG before,,, and after,, and post.

I know how much difference it made on my rig but others do not believe me.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
And by the time she's complaining how tired and sore she is, I just remind her that she's over half way done. Fires her right up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post

I'd love to see ya tell her!
Listen here, let me tell you who wears the pants in this.... Gotta go, wife is telling me I need to start dinner

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #56

I use PoliGlow as well on my fiberglass. On my boat that sits out in the Florida sun all year and the trailer. Leaves a terrific shine with no buffing. So far on the boat no yellowing and bright and shiney for three years. Easy to remove and recoat when its necessary.
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote