Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #71

Just spent a couple weeks...waiting for departure...detailing our King Aire. Buffed it twice with a Porter-Cable orbital using Meguires cleaner-wax, once with a foam "polish" pad and then with a "finish" pad. No more swirls and really looks great. I ordered it with two extra coats of clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	58138   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	58139  

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My 92 after 5 coats of wax. Washed with McQuiers, then used their cleaner wax.

I don't know when it had been waxed. The white color was a bear. I haven't done a good wax job since and will this summer. Just went over it once with some product you use when clean and dry.

This was done in late 2012 and all by microfiber cloth and by hand. My arm like to fell off, took a few days.

I've mainly just been washing it with McQuiers and it has retained the shine nicely, but its time to do again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	58783   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	58784  

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	58785   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	58786  

Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
My 92 after 5 coats of wax. Washed with McQuiers, then used their cleaner wax.

I don't know when it had been waxed. The white color was a bear. I haven't done a good wax job since and will this summer. Just went over it once with some product you use when clean and dry.

This was done in late 2012 and all by microfiber cloth and by hand. My arm like to fell off, took a few days.

I've mainly just been washing it with McQuiers and it has retained the shine nicely, but its time to do again.
For a '92, that looks excellent! Nice job!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
I've tried Rejex on just the front of my coach and its a good product but way too much work for no better payoff than some other products, IMHO. I found a product called Optimum for a car detailer supplier website, its not as expensive and a whole lot easier to apply and my experience is that it lasts 4-6 months. Optimum makes a number of products but I use their carwash and the wax. They say their carwash is designed to help the wax to last longer.

The wax is liquid which you just put in a spray bottle, spray it on and use a microfiber cloth to remove while its still wet, easy on and easy off instantly. Also, no problem applying it in the sun as long as the surface is not hot. Rejex tells you not to apply in the sun or even allow direct sunlight to hit the surface for 24 hours. I don't have an RV garage or large trees surrounding my driveway so I haven't figured out how to do this. With the Optimum I can wax my entire coach in 2 hours with no problem, and no sore arm.

I order the Optimum wash (OPT-201) and wax (OPT-101) on the web, I get it from Autopia Car Care. I don't own stock in the company or know anyone that does, so no personal gain for me, just sharing what has been a great product.

Here is a picture of my 14 year old coach with original paint.

I ordered a gallon of both the Optimum wash and the spray wax. I tried it out yesterday. The wash worked nice, the spray wax looked OK on the light colored surfaces, but we have a lot of black,maroon, and dark brown on our full body paint and the wax left a haze that was visible on the darker colors. As a result, I had to do it over with my old tried and true ICE paste wax to get it back to an acceptable look. I'll use the spray way on the white fiberglass roof only, in the future
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Your coaches look great, nice job! I have been using and will keep on using Protect-all on my RV as it is easy to apply, no restrictions about the sun and lasts a long time. I usually wax my RV twice a year and it looks like it came out of the showroom. I also use it on my car and boat with super results.
In between times I use Mequiars detailler on my car which is extremely easy to apply and remove. I very seldom wash the car.
Lastly when washing my vehicles I use RV Wash and Wax if needed but mainly wash all above items with plain water.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #76
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I re read this post last night and it got me motivated to wax the coach. I bought the Porter Cable buffer a few months ago and waxed the coach. It came out okay, but didn't look like I wanted or expected. Today, I buffed it again with Mothers liquid polish. This second coat really came out nice. The Porter Cable really sped up the process.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I re read this post last night and it got me motivated to wax the coach. I bought the Porter Cable buffer a few months ago and waxed the coach. It came out okay, but didn't look like I wanted or expected. Today, I buffed it again with Mothers liquid polish. This second coat really came out nice. The Porter Cable really sped up the process.
I'm sure you probably already know this, but now that you have polished the coach, you need to seal it with a wax.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #78

When we had our 2000 Dutch Star DP painted at Precision Paint in Bremen I had 2 coats of clear applied. I do wash it when dirty, but have never seen the need for wax except on the front to help with bug removal. As far as wiping down after washing I use a Swiffer Mop. You can use any type of rag with one. All you have to do is wrap it around it and stick it in the holes. I drilled a couple holes in it so i could keep it from flopping around by using a twist tie . But I like the idea of using an electric blower. I use to use a gas blower on my motorcycles after washing them in my driveway.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #79

Country Coach Owners Club
We have used Dri-Wash over about 16 years.

Spray on, wipe off two times per year.

Contains UV protector. Makes the surface very slippery.

Between applications, wipe with a damp towel and dry with another towel to remove dust and dirt. Does not scratch the surface during the processes.

Does not contain wax. Cannot use soap as it will remove the dri-wash n guard

Works fine on 40' boat and 38' MH.

Not as good on cars because of occasional use of soapy automated car wash.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #80

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
Have ordered a new Winnebago 24 J. The dealer is trying to sell me a product called Xylon for $895. Salesperson says it is guaranteed for 5 years w/o waxing. Any comments pro or con. And isn't a new product supposed to be detailed and waxed before delivery.
Thanks
I just found this post, I hope you didn't waste your money on Xylon, we did and it was a dumb mistake for us. My DW pushed for it because she wanted to make my take of caring for the MH easier. Well... the surface was smooth and slick the day we drove off the lot but over the course of several weeks, the surface accumulated dust, dirt, streaks and overall crap. I thought all I had to do was rinse it off and back to shiny again. Not even close.

I asked a guy with a 15 year old coach that looked fantastic and he told me he uses Protectall 2x a season and that keeps the coach shiny and repels most crud.

I use a microfiber mop with an extension arm after a run storm and any dirt just slides off and leaves behind that deep, smooth silky surface that I first saw when I treated with ProtectAll.

I hope this is not one of those waxes that build up and later have to be remove but so far this stuff is amazing. Just stay away from Zylon and keep the money for something worthwhile.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been using Turtle Wax Express Shine on my vehicles for more than 20 years and right now my truck is 14 years old and not garage kept. It still looks good, shines up good and I do it maybe 2 times a year on a good year. I can't do the other waxes that take a lot of elbow grease because of physical problems. It's an all day sometimes 2 depending when we start wash and wax process with the help of the wife to do the MH in my condition.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
$4.25 a foot here in the R.G.V (S.TX.)
That is for hand wash and wax. Can't do it my self for that.
Slipp on the roof or ladder , will cost more than that!

Can you tell me who you use ? And how do we get ahold ofthem? We also live in the rgv and will be needing a good wash and wax when we get back! Thanks for the info
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #83

I have hand waxed my rvs for years. I love the finish from Mothers California Gold. I use this on my car and truck and my Harley. I finally came to my senses and realized I can hire my high school auto students to do this for me . Much cheaper than the ER visit after slipping on the ladder and breaking my foot.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #84

Freightliner Owners Club
I hand waxed my MH and what a arm and shoulder workout, but well worth it in the end. I would say it was probably never done by it's previous owners. I plan to hit it at least one more time before next season. My father in-law has put about 8 coats on his and it looks great. He's retired and has nothing but time. I tease a buddy with an AE MH, he uses spray wax only. Nothing like a clean unit going down the road!

Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote