Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #85
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought all lambs wool wash brushes and mittens from Mary Mopkins. They keep down the minute scratches on newer paint jobs. So now I have to wash the coach and wax again.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #86

Any problems using micro fiber cloth and buffers? Scratches?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #87

Just spent 3 days cleaning and prepping my 14 year old mh, applied 4-5 coats of floor wax to the beast, then followed that up with a detailing spray on / wipe off product with uv protection. Looks great. The mh sits in the sun year round.

I didn't really like the overall look after just the floor wax, and water didn't run off like I hoped it would, so did the extra step.

If the underlying fiberglass was in good shape, then a good wax would have been better and way less work.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #88

To say I have been a fanatic about car care is a bit of an understatement (black is not a color, it is a hobby). No one has touched the paint on my cars in years, and I almost refused delivery on a custom ordered BMW 5 years ago because they preped the car for delivery after I told them not to (my wife said she has only seen me that mad one other time in over 20 years together), and they put swirls in the paint (as I fully expected they would), and it took me about 10 hours to polish it out that weekend. How this will apply to our yet to be delivered Tiffin 31SA is something that I am going to have to figure out.

For me, a "simple" car wash, is 2 1/2 hours if I have to rush, 3 1/2 is better. This is just a wash, and interior cleaning; no wax, just a wash. Spending 6, 8, or even 12 or more hours to polish out a car (after it is already clean, and does not count actually waxing it either) is simply a "therapy" session that I look forward to once a year or so for each car.

How I am going to keep the MH clean on the road is a bit of a concern to me, and my wife has already made it clear that there is no way I can keep the MH like my cars. I understand that most parks may frown upon washing your RV, so maybe I'll have to do it a 2:00 in the morning when everyone is asleep.............

I will very interested to talk to the people at Tiffin when we venture there, hopefully during the build of the MH about their perspective on washing as it seems they do not recommend micro fiber for some reason (and I have seen some other pushback on MF recently with some car guys too). Since MF has become a "standard" for most car detailers over the last 10 years, I have only used high quality MF, and nothing that you would pick up at Pep Boys, WalMart, etc. As for wash, wax, and polishing products, I have used primarily Griot's, Gloss It, and Adams products over the last 15 years, which I expect to continue to use on the MH. One change expected is going back to a liquid wax that can be put on with my Flex machine simply due to the larger coverage area, vs. a wax in a tub put on by hand. Not sure if I will stick with a carnuba, or go to a synthetic which tends to last longer.

As a side note, I have read some posts that reference washing their MH with Simple Green or Dawn; from my car care experience, either one of those is going to strip off any wax you have on the surface, and unless I am missing something, not something that I would even consider using unless of course, I wanted to strip the wax.

DutchStarDon - no need to rewash the MH with the mits and re-wax - wax does nothing to reduce swirls / micro scratches that may already be in your clear coat, only a polish will take them out. "Cleaner Wax" provides some polishing, but minimal in general (particularly if put on by hand, vs. machine). There are some waxes / glazes with filler that will help hide swirls, but they do not last, and are really only used as a temporary solution (by dealers to fool people, or at car shows to add a "pop" to the paint) until the paint can be properly polished.

Regards!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #89

My coach is a 2011 model. I have had it professionally polished & sealed the first two years after purchase. The third year was just a good waxing since the finish was in very good shape. I have been using a product from washwax.com since then. It is designed for aircraft finishes but works very well on fiberglass also. dust seems to be repelled & there are no water streaks after a rain. As long as it is not covered in mud or a lot of grime this is all I'll use.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
I have found an easy product to use which is a real plus, and the results are amazing. The product is called "The Solution", available from super-seal.com. It goes on with a microfiber towel, simply wipe on and spread around till dry, and the vehicle does not need to be washed prior to using it. I have not washed my MH or Jeep toad for almost 3 years now. As you know, most RV Parks don't allow you to wash your rigs in the park, but this stuff works great without any pre-wash. Being a full timer, I have to clean my rig in the RV parks, and I even developed a simple tool to hold the microfiber towel so I don't have to use a ladder at all. When I first got my MH 5 yrs. ago, it used to take me about 4-5 hrs. just to wash it with soap and water, and then it needed to be dried to keep from spotting. It now takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. to do the entire MH, and the results are fantastic. It can also be put on in direct sunlight with no adverse affects.
I checked out their website and must say that I am intrigued, although many of the reviewers appeared to be using The Solution on the same MH.
I like the ease of application as well as being able to use it in full sun. I don't have a MH garage and living in FL it's hard to get something that large into the shade.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue beacon truck wash, drive home, apply "The Solution". 2012 Tour (dark ruby) looks showroom. Works on the polished aluminum wheels as well as Mothers with the ball polisher on a drill. Tried both methods.
It's a similar liquid as auto dealers used in the 50s, 60s and 70s but with silicone and other additives. Purchased from a dealer (UPS) in Prescott, AZ.
One caveat: If you live in the Southwest and it is 110 degrees and 2% humidity and a good breeze, it will dry before being wiped. So the "direct sunlight" would not apply in those conditions.

Kerry
Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked the website for super seal and it said the store was closed?
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just bought all lambs wool wash brushes and mittens from Mary Mopkins. They keep down the minute scratches on newer paint jobs. So now I have to wash the coach and wax again.
Dutch Star Don
Did you tried the ones that Newmar recommends? I see they can be ordered from Newmar.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I checked the website for super seal and it said the store was closed?
Hmmm. I was just there yesterday. Maybe some end of year website maintenance. The phone # is still listed though.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #95
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Kend51......I was looking for the lambs wool in a brush and couldn't find one. My neighbor sent me the Mary Mopkins link http://www.goclean.com/mm/ProductCat...Cleaning Tools and found the brush I was looking for. I ordered a brush, but was going out of town so I called them to see if they were shipping right away or could delay shipment.

To my surprise, Mary answered the phone. She was soooo friendly. She said she personally visited with Newmar and Tiffin and designed/suggested cleaning products for every aspect of the coach.

I wanted a couple brushes and mitts, one for the house and one for the RV, but I wanted to see the quality of them before I spent a lot of money. The brush head tilted and swiveled and I've often found they are cheap or break easily and flop when you use them. I ordered just the brush and found it was well built and you could set the tension of the swivel head.

I later ordered the other two items.

Mary is a wealth of knowledge and is located in Portland, Oregon. Over the years I've often seen large RV show displays by her, but had never really looked at her stuff.

She said if I was in the Portland area I could come by her house and buy whatever products I needed. She even said they would help wash my coach if I came by. Great lady and company.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Kend51......I was looking for the lambs wool in a brush and couldn't find one. My neighbor sent me the Mary Mopkins link http://www.goclean.com/mm/ProductCat...Cleaning Tools and found the brush I was looking for. I ordered a brush, but was going out of town so I called them to see if they were shipping right away or could delay shipment.

To my surprise, Mary answered the phone. She was soooo friendly. She said she personally visited with Newmar and Tiffin and designed/suggested cleaning products for every aspect of the coach.

I wanted a couple brushes and mitts, one for the house and one for the RV, but I wanted to see the quality of them before I spent a lot of money. The brush head tilted and swiveled and I've often found they are cheap or break easily and flop when you use them. I ordered just the brush and found it was well built and you could set the tension of the swivel head.

I later ordered the other two items.

Mary is a wealth of knowledge and is located in Portland, Oregon. Over the years I've often seen large RV show displays by her, but had never really looked at her stuff.

She said if I was in the Portland area I could come by her house and buy whatever products I needed. She even said they would help wash my coach if I came by. Great lady and company.
Wow, sounds like great customer service.
I think I'll order from her, so I'm ready when our Ventana is delivered.
Thanks
Old 12-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks a million Don for sharing the link to Mary Moppins. I had been looking for a lambs wool pad for my wash pole. Did some Google searches but never found exactly what I wanted. This looks like it will fit perfectly as my pad holder looks just like what she is selling.

Now if I could just convince the folks at Eagle View RV Resort to let me wash my coach. They only allow comm'l wash folks to wash a coach on the property and paying someone $100 to wash for me just goes against my principals. Besides, for me washing the coach is like transcendental meditation followed by a beer.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #98

Check these guys out for QUALITY micro fiber.

Towels By Doctor Joe

I like this telescopic pole

Telescoping Handles - Handles - Shurhold System | Shurhold

With this pad

Swivel Pad Combo - Swivel Scrubbers - Shurhold System | Shurhold

Then use the Dual Bed DI water system from

Deionizers | On The GoŽ

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote