Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #99
Monaco Owners Club
Bullheaded, there are lots of posts about microfiber towels causing swirl marks. I thought MF towels and wash pads were great too until it occurred to me that I have a substantial amount of swirl in my paint compared to a year or two ago since I went MF for washing, drying and wax removal. Just try doing a search on iRV2 for "swirl microfiber" if you want to read some of the comments.

I love microfiber but I am now reserving it for glass, metal and interior surfaces, not my paint. Switching back to old school... lambswool for washing and a body squeeze, cotton or chamois for drying.

Just my 2 c's... Merry Christmas.

Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #100
Without getting into the microfiber debate, I'll offer some tips on minimizing swirls and micro scratches in your paint no matter what you use.

Use a hugh quality automotive wash, and don't skimp on adding to your bucket and get plenty of suds.

Use a lot of water-spray the surface throughly before you put a mitt with soap on it, and when you rinse.

Don't wash in circles, rub your mitt front to back

Throughly rinse your mitt, having a rinse bucket for your mitt before you put it back in the soapy bucket is a great idea.

Wash top to bottom of course, but don't go top to bottom once section then move to the next and go back to the top. I actually do a modified top to bottom -wheels and tires first with one bucket and mitt, lower panels next with a fresh bucket and mitt, then top down with a fresh bucket and mitt (always use the same mitt for each section). This gets the hard work out of the way, and keeps a wet uppers working surface before you start to dry. It also keeps you from dragging any heavy dirt up the vehicle. Given the size of a MH, you probably need multiple fresh wash buckets for each section.

Drying (which is where a lot of paint damage actually occurs:

You really don't want a totally dry towel, as no matter how soft, it is abrasive. Make sure it is damp (dry off your windows first for instance)

As you dry, use detailing spray on each wet panel. It lubricates the surface as you run the towell over it, and helps pick up any left over dirt. This is my top detailing tip. The detailing spray also has some wax in it, and will prolong your regular wax job.

As with washing, run the towel front to back, not in circles.

I am not a fan of chamois, as they have no nap, and any dirt particles get drug I to the paint.

As for general paint care, using detailing spray on a dirty surface instead of washing properly is going to damage the paint. I only use detailing spray as I dry a clean surface, or for a quick wipe to clean off bird poo or other serious contaminant very carefully. Bird poo is very abrasive, so turn your towel to a clean section on each wipe.

Now, how practical my car care practices are going to be on a MH is an entirely different matter, but I do think they proved a good reference point.

Regards, and happy holidays!

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #101
One other thing I did not mention above, is to be sure to completely remove any tags from any type towel or mitt you use. If you rip or cut it off, make sure there is nothing left in the threads, and if you just have to cut the corner off completely, just do it. Tags and tag remnants can leave behind very nasty scratches in your paint.

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote