Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Hand-waxing: what a chore!

I just spent the weekend hand-waxing my MH. I used a product called Rejex after washing with a prep product from the same manufacturer. The resulting luster is remarkable and the UV and bug-gut resistance of the product is supposedly unrivled.

What a chore that was though! Every muscle in my body aches. The product claims to last "at least four months". I can't do this every 6 months, not to mention that the Rejex instructions say to apply at temperatures below 85F and we won't see daytime temperatures that low in Central Florida until next winter. The task made me remember why 30 years ago I started using wash&wax products on all my vehicles and never looked back. The wash&wax products made the Florida bugs relatively easy to wash off if you don't let them bake on for more than a couple of weeks and the finish on all of the new cars & trucks that I bought over the years never degraded significantly over the 10-11 years that I kept each vehicle in the Florida sun.

The like-new luster of my MH gel coat that resulted from the Rejex application really amazed me though. I never got this quality of result from a wash&wax product. My question is: after all these years has anyone come up with a miracle product that you can spray on, perhaps with a garden sprayer, that creates a polymer coat that produces a high-gloss and high UV & bug-gut resistance, and doesn' need a follow-up wiping-off or buffing after "drying to a haze"?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

This thread is devastatingly disappointing WITHOUT A PIC! Where is the money shot???

;-)

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

I feel your pain, as I did the same a few months ago. Have not been able to muster the courage to do a second coat as needed. I hope you get an answer that we both want.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
RG, do what I do. I get a good application of ReJex and then after a couple of months start doing 1/4 of the coach at a time once a month. I have found that the temps don't have a lot of effect unless you are in direct sun. Can't beat the ReJex finish
Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

THIS....is what credit cards are for.
No kidding!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No teenagers looking for work???
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
No teenagers looking for work???
You know, when I was growing up, a few zillion years ago, I mowed lawns, had two different paper routes on some serious steep hills, washed and waxed cars, then came tune ups on the older cars with "points and condensors) and much more.

But, we lived in our other house for 16 years and our present home for right at 20 years and, to date, we've NEVER had any kids, teen agers or otherwise, want to mow my lawn, wash my cars etc. Must be too much Nintendo out there.

Anyways, I've washed and waxed our coaches for years and, without a doubt, it's a tough job. I've used just about every kind of wax known to man. NONE of them last. Yeah, they bead water for a while, about a month or two maybe but, that's about it.

My wife got me a Porter Cable sander/polisher for Christmas and I just got all the adapters and pads I needed for it to use the 9" wool pads. Those are the machines the pros use when detailing coaches at many RV resorts we've been at. Ours is a full body paint, '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD and it's seriously easier to wash and wax than a gel coat coach. My carpel tunnel is really acting up when I do the jobs now days. So, I'm hoping the new machine will get the job done considerably faster. We'll see. I've not used the Rejex just yet, maybe someday. Last I checked, it's on the pricey side if I recall. Someday.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do a search in this site for Red Max Pro. Its no longer available in that name,but Zep Wet look is the same product. You can do a search on that also.

You need to do a great prep job, but the application is 1/10 the work, and a great shine!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've tried Rejex on just the front of my coach and its a good product but way too much work for no better payoff than some other products, IMHO. I found a product called Optimum for a car detailer supplier website, its not as expensive and a whole lot easier to apply and my experience is that it lasts 4-6 months. Optimum makes a number of products but I use their carwash and the wax. They say their carwash is designed to help the wax to last longer.

The wax is liquid which you just put in a spray bottle, spray it on and use a microfiber cloth to remove while its still wet, easy on and easy off instantly. Also, no problem applying it in the sun as long as the surface is not hot. Rejex tells you not to apply in the sun or even allow direct sunlight to hit the surface for 24 hours. I don't have an RV garage or large trees surrounding my driveway so I haven't figured out how to do this. With the Optimum I can wax my entire coach in 2 hours with no problem, and no sore arm.

I order the Optimum wash (OPT-201) and wax (OPT-101) on the web, I get it from Autopia Car Care. I don't own stock in the company or know anyone that does, so no personal gain for me, just sharing what has been a great product.

Here is a picture of my 14 year old coach with original paint.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Glenn, looks very good and sure you get lots of comments. A spray on wipe off will sure make the job easier and faster.

Not sure if OP has same problem as I, but the sidewalls Gelcoat has black marks in the pores and I have been unable to remove marks. These need to be removed prior to waxing so my question is do you have experience removing black marks(streaks)? I tried a mild compounding without success.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #11

$4.25 a foot here in the R.G.V (S.TX.)
That is for hand wash and wax. Can't do it my self for that.
Slipp on the roof or ladder , will cost more than that!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #12

Hand waxing is a horrid chore. This is how I do it...with cash!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2124557627.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	57414

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Glenn, looks very good and sure you get lots of comments. A spray on wipe off will sure make the job easier and faster.

Not sure if OP has same problem as I, but the sidewalls Gelcoat has black marks in the pores and I have been unable to remove marks. These need to be removed prior to waxing so my question is do you have experience removing black marks(streaks)? I tried a mild compounding without success.
OSOK, I don't have the issue you mention with the black marks in the gelcoat. My one thought, and its not without labor, is cleaning the coach with detailing clay. The other thought is to invest in an automotive buffer and some good instruction on how not to destroy your paint. If you are not interested in paying someone to do the work for you I recommend you visit the Autopia Car Care website. They have an excellent How-To guides sections with a ton in info, including the use of detailing clay and use of a buffer.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

Credit Card, $4.25 per foot, Cash; you guys are killing me. By the way where is the OP to defend his sore body.

Optimum sounds like a good choice.

Where are the expert DIY to explain other easier ways and black streak removal?