Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Hanging chairs from ladder blocking license plate

I want to hang some chairs from our ladder on the back of our class C but when I do it blocks the view of the license plate. Has anyone had any problems with this with the police?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
By law, you're not supposed to block the license plate. However, I've seen many blocked by all sorts of things. In actuality, ours is blocked by bikes when we have our bike rack on the back & we've not had any run-in's with the law. Not saying it's allowed, just that we haven't had issues.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO it will take something else to attract their attention to you. Speed, erratic driving. Once you have attracted the attention you could be cited at the officers discretion. Being really civil and courteous may go a long way to avoiding the extra 'attention' if stopped.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

Maybe you could put the plate elsewhere, like further up the ladder or in the rear window??

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #5

Heck, my rear plate isn't visible because of the toad , it's equipment, dual hitch receiver, and spare tire mount and spare.Really would not worry about it.
Unless your doing something, or driving so erratically, most law enforcement won't pay an rv a second look.
When was the last time you saw an rv pulled over by a cop?
When I was a cop, only thing I really looked for was proper hitch and safety chains/cables.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a toad, license is covered anyway as others said. I made the mistake of hanging my chairs on my ladder, and it covered the right marker and turn signal lights - had to move the hanger up a few rungs. Now I have to use my ladder to get the chairs down, but its better than obstructing a major safety feature. I would worry more about that than the license plate, JMO.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
When we had the fiver we had the license plate in the window, I don't remember what we did the the license holder but we could not use it. We drove it that way for several years, in fact when we traded it in it was still that way!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know for sure, but I bet every state has a law that says the license plate must be visible. As others have said, I doubt that a cop would stop you for that, but he probably COULD if he was having a bad day!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had my motorcycle on the rack when I took my motorhome for the annual inspection that Virginia requires. The inspector handed me a pre-printed letter from the DMV warning about blocking the plate.
I drive my snow plow truck all winter with the plow blocking the front plate and the spreader blocking the rear one, I've never been stopped for that and VDOT approves the truck every winter when they look at it to insure I meet their requirements. So, after two different state agencies looking at two vehicles with blocked plates, yes it's a concern, but in itself probably doesn't warrant a citation. Then again, the state police are a different agency than the other two, so they may have different enforcement ideas.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Just stay out of New York state.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski12 View Post
Just stay out of New York state.

That's good advice at any time. I avoid that state like the plague.

Can you put the chairs in the basement?
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
Commercial Member

i am from arizona. my plate has a sugauro cactus on it. i was stopped in missouri, because the surround advertising the dealer covered the word arizona. on the plate. i had stopped three times within an hour answering phone calls, and a trooper passed me each time. then he pulled up behind me and asked me to hang up my phone, he wanted to know why i was stopping so much. i told him it was a safety issue using the phone while driving, and thats why i stopped.
he then asked to search my truck. for drugs. he said he smelled marijuana. i told him to call for a dog,and told him i was willing to wait for his supervisor.
with that he said he had more important things to do, and to quit stopping so much. and left. no pressing reason for him to do any of the things he did.
i adjusted my plate surround, and stopped for the next call, about 1/2 hour later.
didnt see him again.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

NC also bans those frames that block part of the tag. But they don't enforce it. Like many other laws.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
NC also bans those frames that block part of the tag. But they don't enforce it. Like many other laws.
IMO many laws are enacted because politicians like to be seen as doing "something". There is also a short advertising time when the law is announced and much fanfare is made by the enacters to show they care and are responding to our needs.

If police had the time to enforce every rule they would have their ticket book full within 2 blocks of the station.