Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

Hankook AH11 Tires, any good?

Getting ready to replace tires. Has anyone used the Hankook AH11 tires? Like or dislike?

My size is 245/70/R19.5

On a side note, do I need to buy the long dual stems and bring them to the tire shop or do most place have them on hand?

What type of stem for spare tire, as it could end up on any position on the coach? I was thinking just short straight one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I can't speak for those particular tires but I can speak for Hankook. We've had them on several vehicles and will continue to have them on the toads. We would love to have them on the RV and bike but they don't make the 24.5 for our RV nor tires for motorcycles.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, put them on my Bounder last fall. Love them so far and have about 5000 miles on them. They are very different form the OEM Goodyears. They have a lot more tread depth and therefore track much better. The down side is they don't have the compounds that protect from the sun. Since they are truck tires they are designed for mileage, not necessarily time. It doesn't bother me because my Bounder is stored inside. And for the improved driving and half the price, I'm pleased.

Valve stems are another story. I have the aluminum wheel covers and it is impossible to check the rears without taking the wheel covers off. The truck shop where I got the tires didn't have anything that would work. Since then I have found another shop that has stems that will work and plan to have them installed in a couple of weeks. Lots of folks on the forum will tell you its an easy fix, but lots of folks don't have 19.5 wheels with these Chinese wheel covers.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hankooks have been around for a long time and make a lot of high performance size tires. I put the AH12's (22.5) on my DP and love them. They're smooth riding and handle well.

I'm done drinking the Koolaide and will no longer pay outrageous prices for the Michellins and GoodYears. Apparently, many others agree as I've seen some deals lately on Michellin car tires......maybe sales are dropping and they've decided to be competitive.

Just run a short stem on the spare. As you said, it will only be temporary and will most likely be moved back to the spare position before it's air needs checking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
While in the tire business a few years ago I sold many a set of Hankook tires. Sold them primarily for large diameter custom wheels. They balanced easier than most and I never had a problem with them or any defective tires. I highly recommend them. As I just recently bought my coach I don't need tires now but when I replace them it will be Hankooks.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made the switch to Hankooks on my mini-van 4 years ago. Now all my vehicles (except MH) have Hankook tires. 3 of them have the Hankook Optimo H727's. In my opinion they are the best tires I've ever had on any vehicle. Traction is great and tread life is phenominal. I just bought my "new to me" MH in March and it had tires put on last fall (less than 1000 miles on them when I bought it). When I replace, it will be with Hankooks!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put a set on a few years ago with Magna Beads for balancing. I replaced Goodyears and difference was noticable. I've put about 10,000 miles on since. very little wear and they ride very nicely. I'd purchase again.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

I got Hankooks for my '99 Winnie, after Good Year was unable to supply me with G159? tires that were less than THREE years old!!

I had already had good experience with Hankooks on both of my cars, so I decided to take chance. At the outset, they cost only 2/3 the price of Good Years. They also made a significant improvement in ride and handling, compared to Good Year.

Instead of having them balanced, I went with Dynabeads which do their job to perfection.

As for valve stems, I can't imagine any tire dealer not having an attractive assortment of options. The "dealer" who installed my tires was just a small one-man emergency road service operation which he operated from a shed in his rural back yard. I took a drive past his facility before committing, and was really unimpressed. But since he came very highly recommened I took a chance; and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. The wonderful new valve stems he installed were actually useful! unlike the cheap junk Winnebago originally installed.

As for the spare tire, I just retained the best one from the old tires. Due to the colder climate and reduced sunlight hours, tires last a lot longer here in Canada. After ten years, the tires I replaced were still in good condition, showing no signs of typical aging one might experience in as little as four or five years in the sunny south.

I don't believe I would attempt to change a tire while I was on the road, although a spare might come in handy for an emergency road service truck.

I once swapped my new spare for a badly worn right front tire, in the comfort of my own laneway, which included all of the tools, such as a compressor, impact wrenches etal. By the time I had managed to get all of the permanently rusted-together fasteners to co-operate, swap the two wheels it took a full eight hours!!!

So . . . all that means, is that some of us are not mechanically inclined!! Right!?

Nope!! The shame of this entire venture, is that I am actually a licenced mechanic, albeit: my licence is dated 1963, and I have never worked a single day as a mechanic since getting my licence!!

Another interesting observation during the venture, was that I took the time, and made the effort to weigh the spare tire: 125 lbs. !! Difficult enough for a young'un; but at age 70, this can present a bit of a challenge.

With the passing of 19.5" wheels in favour of 22.5", I'm not aware of any mfg that even includes a spare tire these days, nor a place to mount it. Anyone know how much a 22.5" wheel and tire weighs?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses, now I really want Hankooks, the problem is now I can't find any. I want to have them installed by the same people I buy them from. So now I am looking at Goodyear G149's anyone with good or bad experience with this tire?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Have a look at Yokohama RY023. Very similar to the Hankook and available at Love's truck stops and other dealers. I have the Optimo H727's on my car but the Yokohama's on the MH.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

My Hankook tires were installed by a guy whose specialty was emergency roadside assistance for trucks. He did not stock any tires, nor was he a dealer from any specific manufacturer. I called him on the phone requesting an estimate, and he got back to me an hour later with a range of prices that varied by brand. When I placed my order, it took him about three days to receive the set of tires from the Hankook distributor.

I suspect that any dealer can obtain Hankook tires from the local distributor.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you've got a lot of advice as far as tires. Here's what I have for the extentions. (Sorry it's only a retailer's web site- I can't find the mfg's one). They go by the name "Dually Valve" and they are one piece- nothing to come apart and leak.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
I got Hankooks for my '99 Winnie, after Good Year was unable to supply me with G159? tires that were less than THREE years old!!

I had already had good experience with Hankooks on both of my cars, so I decided to take chance. At the outset, they cost only 2/3 the price of Good Years. They also made a significant improvement in ride and handling, compared to Good Year.

Instead of having them balanced, I went with Dynabeads which do their job to perfection.

As for valve stems, I can't imagine any tire dealer not having an attractive assortment of options. The "dealer" who installed my tires was just a small one-man emergency road service operation which he operated from a shed in his rural back yard. I took a drive past his facility before committing, and was really unimpressed. But since he came very highly recommened I took a chance; and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. The wonderful new valve stems he installed were actually useful! unlike the cheap junk Winnebago originally installed.

As for the spare tire, I just retained the best one from the old tires. Due to the colder climate and reduced sunlight hours, tires last a lot longer here in Canada. After ten years, the tires I replaced were still in good condition, showing no signs of typical aging one might experience in as little as four or five years in the sunny south.

I don't believe I would attempt to change a tire while I was on the road, although a spare might come in handy for an emergency road service truck.

I once swapped my new spare for a badly worn right front tire, in the comfort of my own laneway, which included all of the tools, such as a compressor, impact wrenches etal. By the time I had managed to get all of the permanently rusted-together fasteners to co-operate, swap the two wheels it took a full eight hours!!!

So . . . all that means, is that some of us are not mechanically inclined!! Right!?

Nope!! The shame of this entire venture, is that I am actually a licenced mechanic, albeit: my licence is dated 1963, and I have never worked a single day as a mechanic since getting my licence!!

Another interesting observation during the venture, was that I took the time, and made the effort to weigh the spare tire: 125 lbs. !! Difficult enough for a young'un; but at age 70, this can present a bit of a challenge.

With the passing of 19.5" wheels in favour of 22.5", I'm not aware of any mfg that even includes a spare tire these days, nor a place to mount it. Anyone know how much a 22.5" wheel and tire weighs?
Hey , would you recommend the Hankooks still 3 years later... i have a Brave 32t. Ryan
Old 07-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNEBANDIT View Post
Hey , would you recommend the Hankooks still 3 years later... i have a Brave 32t. Ryan

I am on year 3 of my Hankook AH11's and would recommend them whole heartedly. They are an excellent tire for the price. I have balance beads in mine.