Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Hankook tires

We need 6 new tires for our MH. Does anyone have Hankooks on their rig, and how is the ride and handling if you do. The Hankooks are less expensive than the Goodyears, more to our budget.
lovingmyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good question. I posted a similar question about 3 wks ago and got minimal response. From those, I take it that not many have tried the Hankook tire. However, that being said, many trucking companies use them with good success. You might try to search the web for reviews. After pricing my 11R22.5 at a Hankook dealer for $300 each, I settled for the Kelley tire for $331 each. The distance to the Hankook dealer was the deciding factor as both tires met the same specs. Kelly has been around longer but I have no more experience with them than Hankook.

Dave
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've never owned them but TireRack.com has customer reviews for Hankook: (and others)

Hankook Tires

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
And another from Discount Tire:

Hankook tires for car & light truck

I imagine there's lots of online dealers with reviews besides these two; enough to satisfy any kook for Hankook .

Google is a great tool.

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend of mine purchased a pair for his steer tires on a ten wheel dump truck 5-7 years ago and they didn't last that long. They cupped real bad and chunks of rubber were wearing off. I have a 2007 Malibu purchased new to be used for the wifes car around town and as a dinghy that came with Hancooks and have had no issues. We have 24,000 miles around town and 30,000 miles of dinghy towing on them and they still have a ways to go . I would consider them in the future. Walt
wwalpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have Hankook's on my F-250, but only for about 6 months so I don't have a whole bunch of experience-- but I've heard good about them, and I like them. They're very quiet on the highway, and so far they still look brand new...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00088.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	3380
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #7

I blew a side wall on my michlins and all I could get was Hancook, then i blew an other Michlin { maypop] so now i have 4 hancooks on the back. We are heading for Calif. and I am hoping for no troubles. Hancookks are made in china , i try not to buy from china
shogun1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
No experience in the RV but my garage just talked me into, and installed, a set on my car. I'm not impressed with the sidewall stability of these tires. The car seems to have more lateral sway now as compared to the Bridgestones I had on it. I'd imagine the larger tires on a motor home would be even worse. I would assume that trucking companies buy them for one reason only, they're cheap!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hankook Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Good question. I posted a similar question about 3 wks ago and got minimal response. From those, I take it that not many have tried the Hankook tire. However, that being said, many trucking companies use them with good success. You might try to search the web for reviews. After pricing my 11R22.5 at a Hankook dealer for $300 each, I settled for the Kelley tire for $331 each. The distance to the Hankook dealer was the deciding factor as both tires met the same specs. Kelly has been around longer but I have no more experience with them than Hankook.

Dave
Truckers don't care about ride like we do for or MH. I bought Michelin tires at Sam's club for $340.00 with tax. Had them balanced and mounted for $30.00 each at a trucl/RV shop. The difference is not worth it to us to change brands.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are they the same ply rating? Are they comparable in the tread pattern? All things to consider. It is hard to base just on price when the tire may be a 14 ply compared to a 16 ply tire.

I had Michelins on my Navigator, when they wore out, I installed Hancooks and have had no issues. Most tires are made overseas including b-stone!
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put 6 255/70/19.5's on mine before Christmas, put about 600 miles on them and they rode very well. The tires are made in Korea, however the good results reported by others on several forums drew me in. I went from G670's and stepped up a ply rating. The Sumitomo was suggested by the dealer( he runs on his tow trucks) but I opted for the Hankook and a higher ply rating as the dif was $12 a tire.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun1940 View Post
I blew a side wall on my michlins and all I could get was Hancook, then i blew an other Michlin { maypop] so now i have 4 hancooks on the back. We are heading for Calif. and I am hoping for no troubles. Hancookks are made in china , i try not to buy from china
We have had no problems with the Hancook tires, and I even noticed they are on our car that we tow. They were put on 3 years ago when we bought the car. ( never noticed until we bought the ones for the MH) We are selling the MH due to medical condition that limits driving, so the next owner will find out the durability of the tires.
lovingmyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #13

I thought I was getting generals on my used rv purchase, but closer inspection revealed Chinese Green Ball tires. After some study and talking to a local tire store owner, found out that they all come from China and Korea using the same machines and techniques that were pioneered in the USA. If you read enough on line you will find that every brand fails once in a while. My Green Balls carries my c-class just fine. No problems yet. Watch your weight and ply factor.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #14

We just bought a 2010 class C FW MH. it came with Hankook tires OEM. They show made in Korea stamped on them. That's OK by me as I have found S. Korea makes very good products.
marjamr is offline   Reply With Quote