Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another good reason for using HC. We use Sewer Solutions dump system with a 50 foot 3/4 inch garden hose for hard to reach spots. We can dump black tank WITHOUT water assist pulverizing when needed. Can't believe how small paper and poop is broken down using HC. Plus as mentioned, no smell and cheap. Life on the road is good!

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Why use ANY black tank treatment? All you need is just plain water and an occasional dose of laundry or dish soap when traveling. Using any black tank treatment is just putting $$$ down the toilet. It never ceases to amaze me that people buy and use this stuff when it's not needed at all.

Ron
All black tanks vent out thru the roof, and everyone's poop stinks!!...Happy Camper eliminates the stink!...it really works!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You HC folks are drinking the cool aid. You don't need anything but water. Why does anybody put a deodorant in the black tank? If you can smell the black tank odor or the deodorant odor, you have a problem with your system and/or something is amiss with the plumbing. We don't use deodorants in the toilets at home because the system is vented...just like your RV. If you insist on an additive, use Calgon which will aide in dumping...anything else is a waste of money.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
You HC folks are drinking the cool aid. You don't need anything but water. Why does anybody put a deodorant in the black tank? If you can smell the black tank odor or the deodorant odor, you have a problem with your system and/or something is amiss with the plumbing. We don't use deodorants in the toilets at home because the system is vented...just like your RV. If you insist on an additive, use Calgon which will aide in dumping...anything else is a waste of money.

I tend to agree with you. I almost never use anything but lots of water and a dose of Calgon. I have used HC Extreme a couple of times. I have the See Level monitor on my tanks and occasionally I have needed to knock the deposits off the inner wall of the black tank. The Calgon helps but sometimes it needs a little extra power.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
HC isn't a deodorant first of all. And you don't have a smell at home because the system has a trap in it which does not exist in a RV.

Yes, the water held in the bowl in a RV simulates a trap because the water creates a buffer between the tank and the air in your RV like a trap does. However, every time you flush and the flapper opens that pseudo trap is breached unlike flushing a home toilet where the trap is continuously replenished with water. In that brief moment of time when the toilet is flushed and the tank and the air in your RV is one in the same, odors that exist will escape.

You should respect the fact that people have different use cases in their RV and different configurations. Our small Class C is configured such that the toilet sits immediately and directly over the black tank. There is no meandering piping to mitigate smell. When the toilet is flushed you're looking into the tank just like you are standing in an outhouse. There is no circumstance when you are standing above that toilet looking directly at the waste that you are not going to smell that waste water.

In a small Class C when you're not in the position to dump for an entire weekend or more and you only have a 20 gallon tank to begin with, this "just use more water" business is nonsense. When you use more water than it takes to flush you end up filing a small tank like that before you have an opportunity to dump anywhere. I never run out of black tank capacity with urine and waste. I always run out of capacity with water that is needed to flush. In that case, a product like HC is not only not a waste of money but it's a smart decision.

I'm glad that your situation is different and you do not require a product like this but don't insult the intelligence of people that have decided this is best for them. Not everyone is running with a big class A.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #20

Well Said Jalan

Could not agree with you more. More situation sometimes requires no dumping for a few weeks with a partial tank. Chemicals work for me.
If other people are lucky to spend lots of timer in their campers, good for them.
In the end, I just do whatever the Mrs. says to and she says put the stuff down the toilet.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #21

I have used Odorlos for several years. Recently started having sensor problems so i have switched to Happy Camper. So far so good.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
We've used Tank Techs RX for about a year and I can't really say that I have noticed any difference. I try to keep our black tank clean, dumping only when it is +60% and then flushing it out well (fill with water until 50% and then dump again) until only clear water comes out.

I no longer use any chemical treatment on a day to day basis but I do run a container of Happy Camper Extreme Clean through once every 12 to 18 months.

We use our coach about 9 months a year so its usage is fairly constant and its flushed well and left empty during it brief storage periods.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been using Happy Camper for a couple years now. Not sure it does any good, but I also not having any problems with my black tank. SO, I will keep using it.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I have been using Happy Camper for a couple years now. Not sure it does any good, but I also not having any problems with my black tank. SO, I will keep using it.
Every time we pull into a campsite, I go outside and spray Unicorn spray all the way around the RV. It works! Never had a Unicorn yet!

Just jerking your chain John! I would never use anything but Happy Camper in my tanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Every time we pull into a campsite, I go outside and spray Unicorn spray all the way around the RV. It works! Never had a Unicorn yet!

Just jerking your chain John! I would never use anything but Happy Camper in my tanks!
Don't forget the garlic for the vampires...

Old 06-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy Campers or Tank Techs RX

I've been using dihydrogen monoxide for four years now. It's free, available about everywhere, and impossible to overdose so there's no need to measure. No odors, no clogs, no problem.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I've been using dihydrogen monoxide for four years now. It's free, available about everywhere, and impossible to overdose so there's no need to measure. No odors, no clogs, no problem.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

BTW, you CAN overdose on it I hear!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
BTW, you CAN overdose on it I hear!
Yes - It's called drowning...

Tags
tank