Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #1

I run my MH and genrator for an hour every month while not in use. I am having trouble getting the generator to start. I sometimes have to try it 4 or 5 times before it will start. It seems like it not getting gas. Anyone else having trouble? Scotty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

I run my MH and genrator for an hour every month while not in use. I am having trouble getting the generator to start. I sometimes have to try it 4 or 5 times before it will start. It seems like it not getting gas. Anyone else having trouble? Scotty.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #3

HI FXrScotty,
Just had that problem about a month ago , we have a Onan 7k gas genset it had a partial clogged fuel filter, it looked good looked as if gas was really going good too, but it wasn't
changed the fuel filter and now cranks about 2 times and runs great, So fuel filter and air cleaner may need to be changed almost forgot there is a winter and summer setting for ours too. It adjust the air going into the carb.

hope that helps

antlerz
Craig & Linda
Oscar the Dog

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #4

I had the hard start, multi try problem with an Onan some years back followed by a fuel pump failure.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #5

My Onan starts "faster" now that I know how to prime it first with the local or remote switch.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #6

You didn't say you had an Onan so I don't know much about those. I have a Generac and it wouldn't start at all. My repair shop checked the solenoid and that solved the problem.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #7

My Onan would not start one time and I changed fuel pump and filter fixed it for about two months. Then when it would not stay running I found it was sucking air on the fuel line at a rubber connector, changed that and runs fine now.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1999 Minnie Winnie with a Onan Microlite 4.0 that was hard to start from day one. You had to crank several times if it set for more than a day or two. It always started, but did take some cranking. Onan would do nothing except charge you for a tune up and the thing started no differently than before they lightened your wallet.

It acts as it does not get fuel and you have to reprime it after a day or two. I wonder if a check valve in the fuel line would help it.

Ken
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #9

I believe that the gas does not stay right at the fuel pump for that period of time. My generator does the same thing as you stated. If I go out the next day it starts fine. In your Onan manual they describe how to prime your generator before starting if it has been sitting. It recommends to hold the switch in the stop position for a few seconds to prime the unit.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #10

Thanks to all that replied. I will look and see if there is a prime switch. It is a generac 4000 gardian. Scotty.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #11

I pulled the panel and there is a primer switch. Why it there isn't a remote to the inside of the coach is beyond me. My last two slide ons had remotes! go figure. Scotty.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #12

The primer on my Generac is on the generator. Don't have a remote. I will try the holding down stop and see if that improves the starting.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #13

Webster, my last two had seperate switches for the primer on the panel. Smae brand go figure. I am curious to know if holding the stop switch works. it doesn't make sense that it would but the older I get the less stuff makes sense! Scotty.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Hay,Fxrscotty
Ditto, we have a 31 ft. 2004 Chateau by four winds, the problem started last trip. I have probably put 40 hrs on gen-set since we bought the rig. Tried it last week for grins and it was worse than before it finally started.
Going to track fuel line as Dougmyers said this is most logical action to me. It runs good once it starts sounds like having to pull full line of fuel to re-crank.
Once again I have learned something from this site.............
thanks in advancce
MIke

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote