Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
For you guys that have the hard wired unit. If you plug in at home over the winter to keep your batteries charged do you let the EMS connected in line or do you bypass it somehow?
mines hard wired and I leave plugged in , I'm confused about your question.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Why not have the protection just because you are plugged in at the house? You can still get surges and drops in electric and that's what it helps protect against.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a 50 amp surge guard hard-wired into the 2010 Itasca we recently purchased. Never had one on our pervious units. When I got it home and plugged into our 30 amp outlet by the driveway, I had no power in the coach. I checked the unit and it showed a reverse polarity condition. I checked the outlet and sure enough it was reversed. I have had this outlet for about 10 years! Some dummy ( not saying who!) wired it wrong. If I had a portable unit I would not have used it and never would have discovered it. So I vote for hard wired units!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #18

Now that the hardwired ones offer a remote display and bypass mode, I'd go with hardwired with remote. I use a portable from Progressive Industries. It's easily 10 years old and recently acted up. No surprise after using it on some poor power in the Yukon and the lightning capital I live in. Anyway, sent it back and it was promptly returned with a replaced logic board. Great company, great products.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
My house even has a a residential EMS wired to the circuit panel, definatley keep the EMS online when plugged in. Bad power can come at anytime from anywhere.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #20

I just wondered about leaving it inline as it uses as much power as the converter that is maintaining the batteries. It also has the LED diagnostics screen constantly running. Mine does not have the remote.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I just wondered about leaving it inline as it uses as much power as the converter that is maintaining the batteries. It also has the LED diagnostics screen constantly running. Mine does not have the remote.
The power draw on these should be next to nothing. I wouldn't worry about their draw. Their benefit far exceeds the minimal draw they have.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have put a coiled cord under a fraction of the load it can carry when streatched out and it got warm enough to scare me. I will let others explain why as the internet connection here sucks just now.

So locking it in the basement, not the best option.

I like a hard wired, or... better yet a Hughes "Hard Wired" better. To see what I mean google Hughes Autoformer Install Kit.

I now have a portable.. Soon I hope to convert it to a "hughes hard wired"

Short explanation, You pull the wire out of the Transfer switch and put an outlet where the switch used to be
Add a pigtail with a plug to the ATS

Now you route the outlet to the Surge guard.

In my case, since I have an installed autoformer

I will modify the path of the cord that runs to the switch (I do not think I'll need to change it) and put a much longer cord on the surge guard and route it down to the autoformer. (Which is currently next to the ATS, or rather in front of it, Tight fit down there) I want teh Surge guard where I can see it.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #23

I thought about a hard wired unit, but I am not too thrilled about cutting holes in my camper to install switches or monitors. Additionally, portable units cost less than hard wired units.
Each configuration offers advantages over the other according to your particular needs/desires.
I use mine even at home:

I can't think of any reason you couldn't install it at the other end of your power cord, which is essentially what you are proposing, if I understand correctly.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2011 43 ft. Allegro Bus. Is there a built in type of surge protection built in some where on the bus?? We had an electrical box problem and it was replaced by Tiffin. They stated we do not need to use an additional surge protector as it was built in. Not to literate in regard to what we need. Help.... parrett1012@yahoo.com
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #25

My WFCO distribution center has these "features" built in:
Reverse Battery Protection
This feature prevents permanent damage to the converter from an incorrect
battery connection.
Automatic Cooling Fan
The fan is variable speed and current controlled.
Electronic Current Limiting
Automatically shuts down power during overload or short-circuit conditions.
Automatically returns to normal operation after conditions are corrected.

However, this means that if there is a problem, damage is going to occur, at the very least, to my power distribution center and anything between it and the power pole.
By having a dedicated surge protector at the power pole, everything from the plug on my power cord all through my camper is protected. That makes me feel much safer.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
The EMS that has been discussed here is more than a surge protector. A Progressive EMS only connects if wiring at the pedestal is correct, shuts down if voltage is is too low, too high (not surge high, just over 132 v) or out of 60 Hz range. When it shuts down, it has a time delay so not to start while air conditioning pressures might be too high for safe restart.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #27

Yeah, mine does all that too. I just call it a surge protector because it says Surge Guard on the front and to me, EMS means "Emergency Medical Service".
See previous post with photo and model number...
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I realize the OP has already chose the portable Surge Guard, but will still offer this.

I went back and forth between the portable and the hard wired for exactly the same reasons, portability, theft, what happened if the unit blew up, etc.

I think the hard wired or portable Progressive Industries unit is the way to go. I know the Surge Guard is cheaper, but like most things, you get what you pay for. It may never be an issue, but Progressive builds their products with a LIFETIME warranty, not 1, 2 or 3 years, LIFETIME.

The unit I bought is hard wired, and it took about 10 minutes to wire it in. I was concerned about what happened if there were power outage from the unit but with the bypass switch, its not an issue.

You chose the best for your application and I wish you the best of luck! Better than nothing at all for sure!