Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Has anyone ever made their own basement storage slides?

I'm having a hard time spending $2,000 or so on pull outs for basement storage.

I am decent at fabrication, woodworking, some metal work etc. I have a few ideas but I thought I would consult the experts. Thanks in advance for any help!

GT

GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
KIX

I made a light weight one for cold drink storage. the height was an issue for me so I sued some sliders that could mount on their sides vs. upright. It's okay for the purpose. I can't remember where I bought the sliders but they did have a good selection. I did do some internet shopping and found prices all over the place. I would think it would be no problem if you have the time to think it out well. Good luck

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very easy. Look for drawer extensions at your local hardware store. Get ones that are heavy-duty enough to handle the expected load. Then, using plywood, build a simple base to support the "drawer". The base is nothing more than a piece of plywood with two sides attached to support the extensions (and the sliding "shelf"). Attach the sides to the board using screws and glue. Then secure the base to the floor of your cargo bin with screws or bolts, depending on access. Technically, you only need sides to hold the drawer extensions but I found it easier to use a base with a bottom.

The sliding platform (that will hold your stuff) is basically a narrower version of the base that is secured to the extensions. Pit a lip on the platform to keep things from sliding off when you're bouncing down the road. Strongly recommend using polyurethane to seal the wood. Prevents moisture-related problems and helps with accidental spills. It's easier than it sounds. And it's a lot cheaper than the commercial versions. You may need to occasionally spray the slide extensions with silicone or WD-40 to minimize sticking and oxidation. Some folks create a custom slide that contains segregated bins to keep their items (i.e. tools) in place (like a kitchen drawer for silverware). If you're using the slide for batteries, use heavy-duty extensions and make sure that the platform is acid resistant. A liner for that purpose would be best. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #4

Thanks a lot for the info Jack. I actually thought about that, but for basement storage I need it to come out a lot farther than what normal hardware store slides will do. The problem is, I can't get to the stuff in the middle easily. So, I need slides at least 4', if not longer. Thanks!

Gt
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

You could make the slides by using 1/2x1 or 1x2 channel or square tubing. Thats available in all kinds of lengths. Pick up some rollers are the local hardware store or industrial dist. Then use plywood or sheet metal for your base.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can order assemblies from this LOCATION of all sizes.
Here is another one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #7

If you want to build your tray yourself, then you need those slides.
They are full-extension, 4 feet in length, and can support up to 400 pounds.

Extra-Heavy-Duty Slides - Lee Valley Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";528398]You can order assemblies from this [b][URL="http://kwikee.com/ACARGO.HTML
LOCATION[/url][/b] of all sizes.
Here is another one.

These are they type that I'm trying to avoid buying. For any real depth (48"+) They are between $500 and $900 per set. I need at least 4 sets, so this is quite expensive.

I just can't see them being so complicated that they need to be that expensive. I wish I could just buy them but I'm trying to save some money.

GT
Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scepter View Post
If you want to build your tray yourself, then you need those slides.
They are full-extension, 4 feet in length, and can support up to 400 pounds.

Extra-Heavy-Duty Slides - Lee Valley Tools

Now those slides are a lot more affordable. They don't hold the 1000lbs that some others do, but that maybe enough. Thanks for the link!

GT
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #10

GT- You can get some nice long plastic storage boxes pretty cheap at Target and the like. You have to remove them, or at least tip them out to get at the stuff inside. I used that method along w/a single 60" deep kit type tray, 44" wide. The kits are available @ CW, tho I got the 60" rail kit thru another outfit cheaper.

It took some planning to decide what stuff I get in/out all the time, so the tray would hold that. Less regularly accessed stuff goes in the plastic bins. The 60" worked well for me as the opposite side of the storage area was obscured w/cord reel & AquaHot, and a full 96" wouldn't work, but the 44" width was nice for volume. Also it came out to the patio side which is usually handier. With that & 4 large clear plastic boxes, storage was (relatively) painless and not too expensive.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
GT- You can get some nice long plastic storage boxes pretty cheap at Target and the like. You have to remove them, or at least tip them out to get at the stuff inside. I used that method along w/a single 60" deep kit type tray, 44" wide. The kits are available @ CW, tho I got the 60" rail kit thru another outfit cheaper.

It took some planning to decide what stuff I get in/out all the time, so the tray would hold that. Less regularly accessed stuff goes in the plastic bins. The 60" worked well for me as the opposite side of the storage area was obscured w/cord reel & AquaHot, and a full 96" wouldn't work, but the 44" width was nice for volume. Also it came out to the patio side which is usually handier. With that & 4 large clear plastic boxes, storage was (relatively) painless and not too expensive.
Part of my problem is that the storage size and doors on the left size of the coach are very difficult to access. They only open up to 90 degrees and and more shallow due to the slide. I would live to be able to have 8' slides the pull out from the right side of the coach.

I've called Joey bed, but I'm expecting that the prices are very similar. I'm (almost) a full-timer now and with two children I need more storage and ease of accessibility.

GT
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #12

Accuride Heavy Duty Full-Extension Slides (Series 9301) - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Mobile (vehicle) mount, including RV and truck bodies, emergency vehicle power supply units, load rated to 275 lbs per pair. Drawer widths to 30'' .
Flat mount, anywhere side space is limited, load rated at 110 lbs per pair. Drawer widths 32'' and cycled 75,000 times.

Please bear in mind... load ratings are for a specific drawer width. The load rating drops dramatically once you make the drawers wider than specified>
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #13

Accuride are some of the best out there. My son in law uses on that brand in his cabinet business.

I still think you can make your own slides from some rectangle tubing then cutting it to the length you need.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #14

I stumbled on this as I was looking to make a slide for my toolbox. Seems like it might fit the OP's requirement.
Behold...my home-made Engel fridge slide! - Expedition Portal Forum

Brian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote