Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My next project is to construct one or two drawers for under the bench seats at the dinette. Had drawers on last motorhome but not on the new one. I may put in an access door on one side and a drawer on the other.
My plan so far is to use nylon glides or a small wheel on the bottom of the sides to roll the drawers, instead of a traditional slide assembly. The slide is not easy to find in that length anyway.
Ideas? thoughts?
Bob

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My next project is to construct one or two drawers for under the bench seats at the dinette. Had drawers on last motorhome but not on the new one. I may put in an access door on one side and a drawer on the other.
My plan so far is to use nylon glides or a small wheel on the bottom of the sides to roll the drawers, instead of a traditional slide assembly. The slide is not easy to find in that length anyway.
Ideas? thoughts?
Bob

Old 11-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #3

Try this: http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_2006/grouping/?id=1620...Extension+Heavy+Duty
They have heavy duty, full extension, drawer guides in lengths up to 60". They are not cheap but they work a lot better than a plastic wheel!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the link Jerry alot of useful items.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #5

The effort to install drawers in several places in a MH will be very rewarding. I installed drawers in my pantry and it was a great help. Under my booth would be another likely candidate as would be under my sink.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #6

Bob

LeeValley.com has a great selection of drawer slides in there hardware catalog and thay are not nearly as expensive as most outlets. A 36" heavy duty pair of 250 lb. slides are $41.00. I actually purchased these slides after looking for some time. I do have drawers in my dinette seats but they are only 14" deep. Such a waste of space. I am building 42" drawers and using the 36" slides on them.
If you are interested the actual part number on these slides is 02K32.36 and this company has a nice selection of woodworking catalogs 1-800-871-8151.
I recently found almost the same slides at about the same price at the local Woodcraft store in Louisville. I checked the Woodcraft.com site and could not find them so if you have a Woodcraft store near by you might try it.
Good luck on your minor remodeling project.

Dennis
Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #7

I have installed drawers under my dinette benches and under the bed. I did use non-swivel casters with about 2" wheels. I put guides on the floor so the drawer could only roll in and out straight. I also put a small threshold so the drawer would not roll out without a little pull. Works just great. The drawers are simple plywood boxes. I recessed the wheels into the bottom of the drawers so the drawer can be close to the floor.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a hassle finding 1/2 inch furniture grade plywood. HD and Lowes have pushed out all the local lumber yards. I did luck out and find some at HD which was 10 dollars more than their 3/4 inch furniture grade. Go figure. I got some 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch popular for bracing the bottom, which will be leuon plywood.
I am still hashing over the way to mount the drawer. I am looking to be as cheap as possible.Those heavy duty ones look great but maybe more than I want to spend so far.
I found some rv slides at
woodworkers hardware:
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Dra...%20RV%20Stay%2DClose

but they are only 28 in length.

I found some rollers here that I am thinking may have possibilities and very inexpensive:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?page=43617&...614&sid=&ccurrency=1

If I can figure out how to put a stop in so it doesn't fly out on the road.

That 36" inch slide might also work, I do have a woodcraft store nearby. I will have to take a trip out to them and check.

It is so great to have input. Thanks everyone
Old 11-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #9

I have built lots of costom one-off pieces of furniture over the years. The best brand of drawer slides I have found, both regular and HD are the Accuride brand. They are sometimes available from H-Depot or Lowes, as well as through some cabinet supply shops. A 36" HD Accuride ball bearing slide pair with positive stops runs about $21-$25. The ones on thatother link may be Super HD but they are too much IMHO.

I would add some spray lithium grease to the Accurides over their factory grease and they will work just about forever with no maintenance.

I am in the process of building my own basement storage slide drawers, as well as modifying my cabinets (just a little due to budget). Later I may build custom cabinets but not just now...

Look around and keep us posted on what you find.

Another supplier(s) is(are) the RV surplus places. They sometimes have great deals on these slides allthough I am not confident that they are up to the Accuride quality.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HD and Lowes both have a max length of 24" for 16 bucks.
I am thinking about that stay close rv slide --

the drawers will be 42 inches: If I got with the 28" full ext. slide I am trying to figure out if I have enough room to access the back of the drawer? or I was thinking also of making a couple of doors in the ends and a slide out plywood box/drawer.
I found another post on newsgroups where someone used back to back slides to get the length needed for the drawer.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on progress:

There is more discussion in this thread:

Adding access to dinette storage

Pictures:
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...tte%20storage/
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another option would be to put in shorter drawers and still have a "drop in" storage space accessed by still lifting the seat for larger but seldom used items that you can still store under the seat.Just a thought that may enhance your under the seat organization!

Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote