Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2001, 04:50 AM   #1

My husband & I have a 31 ft. Motorhome without a slide. We have thought about removing the dinette and replacing with swivel chairs & include one of the tables that raise from the side to use for meal time. Has anyone replaced their dinette? Any suggestions? Problems?

thanks for input.

Teresa

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2001, 04:50 AM   #2

My husband & I have a 31 ft. Motorhome without a slide. We have thought about removing the dinette and replacing with swivel chairs & include one of the tables that raise from the side to use for meal time. Has anyone replaced their dinette? Any suggestions? Problems?

thanks for input.

Teresa

Old 03-06-2001, 05:44 AM   #3

Hi Tersa:
I removed a dinette and replaced it with swival chairs in my last trailer..

Problems..In my trailer the dinette had build-in bench type seats on each side of the table..During contruction of the trailer, the screws to hold the seats in place were mostly installed from the outside into the seats frames..This means that I could not see the screw heads from inside of the trailer. I removed the dinette, but the seat frames were destroyed in the process, the screws had to cut off and a few new panels installed around the dinnette..

We purchased a couple of swival chairs , did not like them , so we switched to small lazy boy type chairs...

We used TV trays for eating ..

Overall, we were not sorry for making the change and really enjoyed the new set-up..No problem selling the trailer in this configuration..

Barrie & Brenda
2000 Trail Lite Model 8261
97 GMC 150

[This message was edited by go44 on March 06, 2001 at 09:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by go44 on March 06, 2001 at 09:55 AM.]

2013 Open Range Light 274 RLS trailer
go44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:20 AM   #4

Our new coach has a standing table and non-swivel conventional chairs (2). We enjoyed the dinette in our old coach but did a trade off as we really liked all of the other features on our new coach. Our table is secured to the floor with a nylon strap while travelling. I would imagine you would also have to do the same with your table, and possibly the chairs. Unless you just absolutely can't stand the dinette arrangement,I wouldn't recommend the conversion. In many rigs there's storage under the dinette seats. If yours has storage, it would be lost in the conversion, but then you may not need it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jim

JS

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:31 AM   #5

This does not answer your question but might help in the long run. Our Barth has a pull out table from the wall and two swivel chairs which are not attached to the floor. We wondered about this arrangement in the beginning. However, after many very rough roads and bumps galore those chair haven't moved an inch nor have they ever fallen over.

www.barthmobile.com

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 09:42 AM   #6

My last RV had the typical dinette booth. I never like it much, but didn't have the desire to do anything about it.

Our current RV has a table (with an extension that can be added) that drops down against the wall when not in use. We use chairs from IKEA that are not mounted to the floor. We love this arrangement. It gives the room a much larger look (we have 96", non slide RV).

Happy Travels,
Art
1983 Newell 40'
RV Lifestyle Home

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:19 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Teresa:

Not trying to recommend this company to you, but we saw this layout while at the Tampa RV show in January. It's the first floorplan we've seen that sizes the swivel chairs, dinette and couch so that they can be moved around in three configurations.

www.tetonhomes.com/prtrflpl6.html

Don't know if this is helpful but my bride loved the concept.

Dave George

<LI>1998 40' TRAVEL SUPREME Triple Slide Homepage <LI>1999.5 FORD F-450 PSD w/Fontaine Bed Photo Albums
<LI>NASCAR FANS - GO Jarrett #88 & B Labonte #18
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:46 PM   #8

Wanted to thank everyone for responding.

Our MH Class C is the typical layout of a nonslide unit. Directly behind the driver is a couch and directly behind the passenger side is the booth style dinette. Because our unit is a nonslide the room between the couch and dinette is not the greatest. We thought by removing the booth style dinette and replacing it with 2 swivel chairs that we would gain a little more room. My concerns were where the entrance is concerned, the back of the dinette booth makes a 1/2 wall at the entrance door. Once we remove the dinette that area will be open - should I be concerned about swivel chairs moving during our travels or falling down the stairs?

go44 (Barrie & Brenda) you also gave me something else to check out that I had not thought about regarding the position of the screws. I figured that in order to cover screw holes I would fill in the holes with filler and redo the wall paper but I never thought about what direction the screws maybe going in.

Right now our unit is away at a local dealer getting Big Foot hydraulic jacks put on it. After weeks of waiting we are finally on the schedule for Wednesday (tomorrow) YEAH!!!! To say that I am excited is an understatement. So I will have to wait until we get our MH back from getting jacks to check out how hard it will be to remove screws. What I hope is if we end up doing the change that we will be able to keep the dinette incase we would ever sale and the new owners would want to put the dinette back in.

Again, I appreciate any and all suggestions that can be given.

Thanks!
Teresa
Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
PIA

I have an opposite issue..I have a table and chairs...I need toi replace it with a Booth Dinnette..need the room for the kids to sleep and much easier to eat at for little ones. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes dineetts..pictures I can see on-line?

I am in So Cal, maybe somewhere I can go? Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #10

As for the chair falling into the step well, you might want to consider some sort of low profile strip along the well to not only prevent the chair from falling during travel, but to prevent you from backing into the well when you are at the table. If the area is not carpeted, maybe a 1" or so high strip would suffice.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #11

Our first used coach was a conversion like this. The orginal owners had removed the booth and put in a table and chairs. They put an attractive brass railing up hand rail for the stair well. We really liked the table with leaf (sp?) and chairs and often wish we had that in our present coach.