Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Has anyone used balancing beads to balance tires on a RV ?

I bought the balancing beads that you drop loose into the tire to self balance the wheel. i have not installed them yet, but wondering if anyone else has used them and what kind of results have they found as a result of using the balancing beads. i bought the stainless steel ones on ebay. 12 oz for each front wheel. Will add them over the winter.

any input on these from anyone who tried them ?
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I am curious why you would not use the standard method of wheel weights? For the balance beads to work there is a period your wheel is out of balance every time you stop / start. If you ask your tire manufacturer, I'm sure their tire is not designed to have a moving object rolling around inside the tire. What convinced you that they are the way to go, cause I've never met anyone that used them in their RV.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Balancing Beads work better than any other method being offered to date.

However, where did you get the idea that SS beads would work inside a tire?

You should stick to proven technology with using authentic ceramic balancing beads.

This is the ONLY place to buy balancing beads.

Tire Balancing Products

I have used them for over 3 years now in 6 coach tires and 4 torsion axle trailer tires with over 30,000 miles. I have not had even one little problem let alone a BIG one.

I love them and they are absolutely great.

If anyone tries to tell you that they don't work, don't listen to them. If you don't believe me then call the company and talk to them directly. But there is a ton of information available on their web site too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

I bought a new set of Michelin XZA2 275 R70 22.5 for my Fleetwood Providence back in April. On that install, I was told they used balance beads...they were not equipped to speed balance large tires. They would find the low spots as the tire spins, made of silicone, they would stick to that area of the tire. They seemed to work, and then would re-balance themselves on the next trip.
When bought, I demanded reasonable DOT date codes. I was surprised to find date codes two and three years old...no way! To make a long story short, when another dealer dismounted the tires, the beads were rolling in the tire and were all over the place. Very messy and somewhat sticky. The new tires, all dates within two months, were mounted and high speed balanced with conventional lead weights. I was told that beads were a problem if you have a tire problem on the highway. They can somehow clog the stems and valves, and make a repair difficult or impossible....not sure why but the tech seemed to be speaking from experience. My coach runs much smoother now with regular weights than it did with the beads (300 miles on beads). I will never use beads again. Oh, and the XZA's are an excellent tire. IMHO
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It's not that they don't work it is that they are more trouble and your tire is not designed to have stuff rolling around in it. I've had the same conversation on motorcycle forums. Guys wanting to run the balance beads. Why buck a system that has worked for BILLIONS of miles on every type of vehicle? I just don't understand. A balanced tire is just that balanced. Balance beads have to adjust every time you start and stop and your tire was not designed for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

You should stick to proven technology with using authentic ceramic balancing beads.

Tire Balancing Products

I have used them for over 3 years now in 6 coach tires and 4 torsion axle trailer tires with over 30,000 miles. I have not had even one little problem let alone a BIG one.

If anyone tries to tell you that they don't work, don't listen to them. If you don't believe me then call the company and talk to them directly. But there is a ton of information available on their web site too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

I had wing foot add them when I got new tires. Don't know what kind they are, but seem to work ok.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Balancing beads are great for those tyre shops who either can't afford spin balancing equipment or are too lazy to use it.
Weights for me - and on all 6 wheels too
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
It's not that they don't work it is that they are more trouble and your tire is not designed to have stuff rolling around in it. I've had the same conversation on motorcycle forums. Guys wanting to run the balance beads. Why buck a system that has worked for BILLIONS of miles on every type of vehicle? I just don't understand. A balanced tire is just that balanced. Balance beads have to adjust every time you start and stop and your tire was not designed for them.
I have balance beads in my tires on my motorcycle and am quite satisfied with them. The question above asks why buck a system that has worked for billions of miles? Technology changes and you go with it or you don't. Balance points change on tires based on use, mileage, tread damage etc. The balance weights are in place for a snapshot of time when installed whereas the beads will self adjust and keep your tires balanced. I was unsure when I first used them on my bikes front wheel. From the moment I rode away, I never felt any imbalance and have not since. I believe they have a valid use for keeping your tires perpetually balanced. It all comes down to choice.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've heard opinion both ways and it's difficult to decide which way to go. This I do know.

1. If it's that good then why not just throw in about 6 OZ of dry sand and call it good.
2. If you don't install a special valve stem with a filter there is a very good potential when you check your tire pressure that the beads will come out and keep the valve from sealing. It happened to me the very first time I checked the pressure. To reduce the chance you should add some air which blows the sand away. Then check your pressure.
3. If it's going to take 6 OZ of weight to balance your tire what happens to the beads that aren't needed?? Where do they go?? I guess the extra beads will distribute all around the tire so it won't cause an imbalance.

I put it in on my front tires but had it removed because of the potential sealing problem of the valve core.

TeJay
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Capitalism works 100% in the trucking industry...if they worked better than wheel weights they would be the standard. Tell me that the bean counters haven't sucked every living penny out of OTR drivers costs. I challenge you to find one company that uses and endorses the beads. Enjoy your bead balanced tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I have balance beads in my tires on my motorcycle and am quite satisfied with them. The question above asks why buck a system that has worked for billions of miles? Technology changes and you go with it or you don't. Balance points change on tires based on use, mileage, tread damage etc. The balance weights are in place for a snapshot of time when installed whereas the beads will self adjust and keep your tires balanced. I was unsure when I first used them on my bikes front wheel. From the moment I rode away, I never felt any imbalance and have not since. I believe they have a valid use for keeping your tires perpetually balanced. It all comes down to choice.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I'll do this too..I run through several sets of tires each year at the race track. Barber, VIR, CMP, Little Tally etc...If there is one thing I know it is that racers are cheap and use what works. You'll not find one single racer anywhere anytime that would use the beads. I've changed 150 to 200 sets of tires for the track and been around THOUSANDS and NO ONE uses beads. Form your own conclusions and use what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry for the apparent rant on these...I've beat these things to death on motorcycle forums...
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Tire Balancing Products

Dr4Film ----- Richard
X 2 !

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a product called Equal that clogs valve stems, it's a powder and when you check tire pressure it will clog the stem if you do not pump air back through the valve to clear it out.

Beads are larger than openings in a valve stem therefore can not clog them.

With tack on weights it's recommended they be rebalanced periodically to make up for tire wear such as cupping, rivering, or other such things which does happen on many tires.

I use the beads to make up for any such possibilities with such tire wear. To each their own it's what ever you feel comfortable with.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires