Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been RVing since 1990 and luckily have never needed fixing or towing but this thread brings up a question. Can one request/insist a JerryDan instead of a tow or must we settle for a tow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
"JerryDan"?

Well, that's a new one for me...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking more like a Jerry Can?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm thinking more like a Jerry Can?
But..."Jerry Can" what???

Can Can????
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #19

http://www.jerrdan.com/

Is this the Jerry we are talking about ?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Jerr-Dan | Tow Trucks, Wreckers, and Carriers

I sure hope not...

That puppy would crush my rig like an egg!

Of course, my rig is an "egg"...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had damage done to my motorhome this summer when I was towed. The damages came to just under $2,000 and the towing company referred me to their insurance company. It turns out that they towing company has a $5,000 deductible. I am still fighting to get my money out of the tow company. :(
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe wrong spelling but JerryDan is a brand name for a single unit truck with a movable flat bed that ramps/ lowers to the ground and allows a vehicle to be winched on, the bed/ramp then moves back onto the truck allowing the disabled vehicle to be moved without towing.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Jerr-Dan | Tow Trucks, Wreckers, and Carriers

Yes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #24

We have AAA RV Plus. I was riding in my cousins MH, on the way to Myrtle Beach. We were 80 miles from home and it died. They had Good Sam( similar policy) and called them first. Good Sam would only authorize the closest facility. AAA allowed the first 100 miles free. They sent an 18 wheeler wrecker out, with a wheel lift. The driver did a walk around with us, removed the drive shaft and secured it. He asked if we needed a ride and where to. He gladly towed us the 80 miles home, to their fiver.
We had to do nothing, AAA called several times during the process to ask how it was going. They were great!
No waiver was signed at all.
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I got buried to the right front axle at Delta Shores Resort & Marina in Isleton, CA. Called AAA who sent a tow truck fit for an SUV after I described my RV size & weight. Got a 2nd tow to hook up to the 1st. I inquired about digging out around the tires & they said not to worry. 5 minutes later, they pulled my rig out, but the front cap separated from the Chasis & shattered the front window. Turns out the ground was infested with gofers. My friend with a similar rig pulled into the same grassy area next to me & backed into his spot- no problem. I taped everything back together, returned home 200 miles away, a got a $15,000 estimate less my $1,000.00 deductible. AAA & the tow company denied liability. A year and a half later, I got 1/2 of my $1,000.00 after a lawsuit by my insurance company. That was a miserable experience plus my rig was in the shop for 10 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	29438  
GreatDane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLanders View Post
A year and a half later, I got 1/2 of my $1,000.00 after a lawsuit by my insurance company.
That's really key, in my opinion...let one's insurance company handle ALL questions of liability.

As a matter of fact, I think that's a requirement of most policies...since it's really their money (after deductibles) on the line, all settlements/lawsuits etc. are their call.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As some of you already know, a few years ago, Denise and I got bad gas in Sicamous BC and it caused the gas filters to plug up just as we were approaching the Rogers Pass Snow Sheds on highway 1 in the BC Mountains. Being labour Day weekend we had a tad of a problem contacting anyone but eventually a Service Centre sent out a unit to fetch us back to Revelstoke BC for repairs.

The tow operator figured because of the bumper to bumper traffic the best solution would be to sent a tiltbed big enough to carry our 24 foot C Class. It took the driver about 30minutes to get us up on the deck and secured and then about an hour to get us off. We lucked out in that we got a super careful driver who made sure he was not the cause of any towing damage.

I was not required to sign any wavers and Good Sam paid the bill for the tow for us. The bill for that trip was a few hundred dollars.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #28

Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Coach with parking brake that grabs the driveshaft (autopark brake), so removing the driveshaft is a must. I specifically asked, and the tow truck driver said he was going to remove the driveshaft - he did not... Several hundred dollars of repair bill. The tow company paid quickly without problem.
Several years ago when I owned a Bounder with the same setup, I broke down on interstate 10 heading East over Henderson swamp in La. Raining cats and dogs at times. The motor home started missing then stopped running, I pulled over to the shoulder of the bridge, 11 miles of bridge. To make a long story short, 5 hours later a tow truck arrived with a large tilt bed. He started to pull the motor home up on it and I said you have to disconnect the drive shaft, he said no the parking brake will release! How stupid, release? Well it was raining, he was in a bad mood, he pulled it up, rear tires skidding, when it got to the hitch, it road on it until the wheels got on the trailer, digging into the concrete.
Bent up the hitch about a inch. I complainted to Coachnet, they want pictures and they wanted to proceed to go after the towing company, but I got to where I was going and didn't want to go to a body shop so they could check it out, I lived with it. There are some real tow truck drivers who are duds out there, but on the other hand some good ones. To this day, I don't want to drive on I 10 over the Henderson swamp, I curl up in a ball thinking about it!