Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hats off to Good Sam Roadside assistance

As I was backing my RV up on is pad today I ran right of the back of the pad..
Sank into the mud like a rock
I was about to call a tow, but remembered I had signed up for Roadside assistance not 3 days ago in preparation for our trip.
I figured I would give a call, most they can say is no.
I called, the lady was very prompt, put me on hold for about 3 minutes, came back on the line and said the truck would be 2 hours.
Not a big deal as I was home, 45 minutes later here is the truck, looks, hock and 3 minutes later all is right with the world again.
Yes, I sure tipped the driver for this!!!!

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429325901.396263.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  105.7 KB

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

Nice to hear. I have not had to use them yet, but nice to hear things go well when you do!

Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Good to hear

That is a great story. I have heard some horror stories. I have Sam's too and I am taking a trip to Alaska this year. I hope I don't need them but if I do, I hope it goes well like yours did.
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We also had a great experience with Sam's roadside assistance. While traveling in Utah blew a high preasure steel fuel injection line at 10000ft in a mountain pass. Any real help was along way off, so we called for help and their response was prompt friendly and helpful. We live in Alaska and travel to the lower 48 regularly and won't leave home without Good Sam's roadside ever again! Count us in as satisfied customers.ppl
Ramblin Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

I will never be without Good Sam Roadside Assistance; it proved invaluable to me. I signed up for the service when I bought my first RV. I was driving in Northern Ontario Canada, and was going through a very small town, when the engine just quit. There I was coasting down a big hill entering this little town. Steering and braking are not good without engine power. At the bottom of the hill, the engine started, ran a few hundred feet, and quit again going uphill. I called Good Sam, and an hour or so later, a big tow truck came and took the class A 32' motorhome away to a truck centre some 50 miles away. I never got a bill or had to put out any money except for the $52.00 crankcase sensor that failed and caused this trauma in the first place. Great service!
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Glad it worked out ok for you, I spent 4 hours on the side of an Interstate in WV during a snowstorm with no heat while the 3 local towing companies and GS RA played phone tag and quibbled over rates.

The tow guys get paid a LOT less for a GS tow that a private job so when, like a snowstorm, there's lots of work (read: money to be made), you're low man on the Totem Pole.

BTW, the very nice tow truck driver told me to never call GS again, just phone for a wrecker, pay and submit the receipt for reimbursement later. That way you'll get much faster and better service too.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

BTW, the very nice tow truck driver told me to never call GS again, just phone for a wrecker, pay and submit the receipt for reimbursement later. That way you'll get much faster and better service too.
That works for Coach Net, some insurance company policies, and AAA as well.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Glad it worked out ok for you, I spent 4 hours on the side of an Interstate in WV during a snowstorm with no heat while the 3 local towing companies and GS RA played phone tag and quibbled over rates.

The tow guys get paid a LOT less for a GS tow that a private job so when, like a snowstorm, there's lots of work (read: money to be made), you're low man on the Totem Pole.

Thats an interesting suggestion but I wonder if they will do this if you dont first attempt to contact them?
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
ah, here is the catch " As referenced in your Roadside Assistance Member Benefit Brochure, please keep in mind
that “Fees for services that you hire on your own are not reimbursable.” Reimbursable
services are those caused by extraordinary circumstances and may be expenses
incurred as a result of restricted tollways, turnpikes, National Parks, or law enforcementarranged
services." From their brochure. So hiring on your own and expecting to get paid was bad advice! Great for the tow truck guy though.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippongachi View Post
That is a great story. I have heard some horror stories. I have Sam's too and I am taking a trip to Alaska this year. I hope I don't need them but if I do, I hope it goes well like yours did.
Just in case; Willards auto repair in Tok, AK is a Good Sam ERS provider. When I required service Good Sam ERS did not list them as such though. They are reliable and good at their job. Their garage looks rundown but they are quite knowlegable. The do all the vehicle retrieval on the Top of The World highway in AK too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote