Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Have You Cleaned Out Your Coach Recently?

Hoo Boy!

We are emptying our 10 year old, 26', B+ and moving everything over to our newly acquired 34' Winnebago 34' Class A. I can't believe all the"stuff" that is in this poor old RV.

Ten years of putting stuff in there with apparently no effort made to ever remove anything. I think our gas mileage could have been at least 2 mpg better over all of this time.

We bought the new coach because the old one was getting too small. Perhaps the RV actually stayed the same size and the stuff inside grew (yes, including us).

I guess my take-away from this is to do an annual inventory and house-cleaning. Otherwise we may again need something bigger in another 5 years!

Have you cleaned out your coach recently?

Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since space in an RV is at a premium, my rule is one thing goes out for every one thing that comes in. So far, it's worked.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty much keep track of that after every trip. If I see something that's not been used, well, out it comes. Has worked for us so far.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great subject. Thanks
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have been full time for 7 years now.

The "One in and one out" rule works well. When you have to consider what you are going to discard in order to have something new, it surely slows down impulsive purchases.

Also, as your needs will change, once per year around each July 4th, we look at everything. If hasn't been used in a year, out it goes. The exceptions are tools and emergency equipment, such as jacks,etc.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We just traded our 2005 36' Diplomat in for a new 40' coach. It took three of us 3.5 hours just to unload everything and put it in the garage on the floor and three 6' tables. It then took three weeks to get it all back in the new coach. I only got rid of a couple of boxes of stuff.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Since space in an RV is at a premium, my rule is one thing goes out for every one thing that comes in. So far, it's worked.
Same here...So far I have not gotten to the point of feeling "stuffed".

After we bought our currant RV, I purchased two extra cabinet doors and hardware. One was to get to my front exterior pass-thru storage with inside. The other was just inside the entrance door to get access to under the dinette seats without having to move the cushions. This one has proven to be very useful (tarps, life jackets, lanterns, beer, extra stash of beer, back up extra stash just in case we are in a dry county, and a few more my DW will never know I brought.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
We take EVERYTHING out of the basement every spring, if it wasn't used the previous year.....it goes! Upstairs is a little tougher.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LMAO The same thing happened to us last year when we picked up our new RV. Parked the two side by side and said no problem in an hour we will have everything transferred. Well 3 hours later we were finally done!!!
When we were home I pulled out everything and discarded the stuff we didn't use.
Herb, Anna and Lil Herb
2013 Winnebago Vista 35B

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Here's a hint when moving, just pull a few drawers at a time and carry them into the new digs. It's aready boxed for moving! Go get more and carry the first (empty) drawers back and so on!
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
What we did was to take our two teenage grandkids with us to help transfer everything. Worked quite well !!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We do not have the one in one out rule. However every year after our winter away I remove everything from the basement for cleaning and most of what is in the MH and sort through paring down the "inventory". It is amazing though we start "slim" after five months of travel and living we accumulate a lot. I also weigh annually to keep track, other wise you can gain weight easily.

I like to thin out my wife likes to accumulate so it is a fluid situation.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I empty my basement every spring...and usually remove stuff that has not been used in years. Of course I may add a thing or two I "might" need.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You mean people clean out coaches!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote