Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Installation was a cinch. I checked & pumped up all the tires to 60 psi, installed the batteries in each sensor, set the monitor for the pressure for each tire, screwed on the sensors, with the monitor in hand. The monitor picked up the signal from each sensor faster than I could finish hand tightening each sensor. I mounted the monitor on the dash using the supplied bracket; it picked up all six sensors so it looks like I don't need a booster. We drove to Camping World to test the system and it worked flawlessly. The only hitch was, we got to CW at 3PM but they had closed at 2. Duh.

Bottom line: A+ to HawksHead all around.

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Do you know where besides Hawkshead where we can purchase the battery's.
Google " CR1632" for a gazillion online places, or if you can't find them locally at drug stores or home improvement stores, there's Amazon:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	2124  

Old 12-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVee'r View Post
Google " CR1632" for a gazillion online places, or if you can't find them locally at drug stores or home improvement stores, there's Amazon:
Thanks RVee'r, thats great.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #18

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I received my shipment yesterday...a day earlier than expected. Everything previously posted except the clear plastic holder. When the weather clears up I will check tire pressure then do the install. Plan on installing booster in a storage area on the curb side aft of the tandem axle.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You had me going there for a minute about the "clear plastic holder". Guess I should have mentioned it was supplied by my better half to hold up the monitor for the photo and not part of their kit. It's something she uses to photograph her Ebay stuff. Good luck with your kit, I'm very happy with mine.

Bob

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #20

Thanks for the update...I can't wait to get started. Maybe I can "it's raining"
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Heck yea. The first two steps you can do inside. Program the pressure for each wheel, & install the batteries in each sensor. Then you only have to put the monitor in your pocket while you hold the umbrella in one hand & screw on the sensor with the other.

Did you say you bought 12 sensors?

Bob

Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #22

Yes 12. 4 came with the original setup and then 8 additional. 8 for the M/H and 4 for the Jeep. I don't plan on using the locks on the Jeep, I plan on removing when I'm at a campground for a few days and re install when I leave the Jeep has a self contained monitoring system.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
I don't plan on using the locks on the Jeep, I plan on removing when I'm at a campground for a few days and re install when I leave
Why not leave them on the Jeep (with locks)? They don't get in the way. If removed, be sure and mark which wheel they came from (been there, didn't do that)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #24

Once installed on the Jeep will the built in TPMS work? or would I need to carry the HawksHead base unit with me? I guess I'll have to do somr trial and error.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not familiar with Jeep's system but I did a little bit of internet research on various OEM systems. Apparently, some use the valve step/cap as an antenna to transmit and tell you to not put anything else on the valve stems, so if yours are that type they might not work. Other than that I don't see why they wouldn't work even with the HawksHead installed since they're two different systems. It would be interesting to see how similiar (or not) the readings are.

I would think that if you drive your toad somewhere you will want to take the monitor with you. I took mine on a trip away from the RV and it seems to store the last readings for each wheel when it's out of range from the sensors.

If it was me I would keep the sensors on the Jeep all the time if for no other reason than to eliminate the hassle of remembering which goes where, or, in my case, where the heck I put them when I took 'em off!

Bob

Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #26

Just installed the 4 units on the Jeep (with locks to start). Biggest problem was getting the tire pressure to 35PSI before installing the sensors. My compressor air gauge is not that accurate. Now I'm ready to tackle the motorhome Friday. I"ll use my big compressor with a better gauge to set all the PSI for each tire before the sensor install.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #27

Did the install on the M/H today...I got all the tire pressures set, installed sensors, calibrated, the locks on the inside duals were a bear to tighten set screws, now the big test will be when we get the tires up to temp.on our drive South.
I drove the Jeep about 200 miles yesterday and the sensors to base worked as advertised. I installed the repeater in a back bay and hopefully that won't be too great a distance from the base.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #28

Where is the best place to buy the Hawkshead? I need to monitor 12 tires....what should I expect to pay?

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote