Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #1

I am wanting to use my HD tv in my coach as an HD tv instead of having the grainy picture now....It's a Sony Bravia 32A10..and am trying to figure out what I need to do...I want to run a RG6 cable from the overhead down the left a pillar to the bottom of the coach and terminate it in the water bay where the regular cable tv connection is..and tie that into my Directv Slimline 5 lnb dish mounted on a Bullseye mount (someone recently told me the Bullseye works fine with the heavy Slimline). So I know I will need an H 20 receiver..already have HD service at home...so my question....how is the best way to tie the HD receiver to the tv....I have an HDMI port on the TV and the standard switchbox overhead...I'm thinking for all satellite TV...HD or regular..just going directly from the receiver HDMI to the HDMI input on the tv and bypassing the switchbox completely, as I literally cannot even get to the back of that switchbox because of NO cable slack at all. So if it's wired that way, will I still be able to watch DVDs in the usual way ...going thru the original switchbox and TV input? Also for OTA tv..just change the tv input and use the switchbox? To me it SEEMS like it will work ok....until there is a better solution with the new rooftop dishes that arent here yet...Im waiting for the dust to settle on that...How many of you have actually used the large Slimline and Bullseye successfully? Thanks

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #2

I am wanting to use my HD tv in my coach as an HD tv instead of having the grainy picture now....It's a Sony Bravia 32A10..and am trying to figure out what I need to do...I want to run a RG6 cable from the overhead down the left a pillar to the bottom of the coach and terminate it in the water bay where the regular cable tv connection is..and tie that into my Directv Slimline 5 lnb dish mounted on a Bullseye mount (someone recently told me the Bullseye works fine with the heavy Slimline). So I know I will need an H 20 receiver..already have HD service at home...so my question....how is the best way to tie the HD receiver to the tv....I have an HDMI port on the TV and the standard switchbox overhead...I'm thinking for all satellite TV...HD or regular..just going directly from the receiver HDMI to the HDMI input on the tv and bypassing the switchbox completely, as I literally cannot even get to the back of that switchbox because of NO cable slack at all. So if it's wired that way, will I still be able to watch DVDs in the usual way ...going thru the original switchbox and TV input? Also for OTA tv..just change the tv input and use the switchbox? To me it SEEMS like it will work ok....until there is a better solution with the new rooftop dishes that arent here yet...Im waiting for the dust to settle on that...How many of you have actually used the large Slimline and Bullseye successfully? Thanks

Old 12-15-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Here are your options for cabling:

1. Switch out the switch box w/a component cable switch box. This is now standard on Newmars. Problem is that you have to run all new cables to each TV. However, you would be able to watch the DVD in better resolution along w/satellite and over the air.

2. Run an HDMI cable directly to the TV that is HD ready. Best picture and you don't need any sound cables as HDMI has digital audio built in.

3. Component cables and a set of audio cables or a digital audio cable directly to the TV. Don't know why you would do this vs. HDMI but, it is an option.

4. HDMI switch box. There is only one that I have seen and it is really expensive w/only 2 inputs.

5. Buy a new coach and make Newmar do it.

My recommendation is to put in a direct HDMI cable. You can always add the switch box later once they come down in price. There is an inexpensive component cable to HDMI cable converter to make your DVDs go through the HDMI cable. (this assumes your DVD player doesn't have HDMI support)

Remember that you will only be able to get a limited number of HD channels via satellite. All the new channels are on sats 4 and 5 which no dome can get yet. However, you can get the 20 or so channels that existed before October of 2007, ESPN, HDNet, HBO etc.

Also, you are only able to watch the channels that are on the same satellite on all the TVs in the coach. This is because any dome dish can only track to one sat at a time.

Also, remember that your Bravia doesn't have an HD tuner built in, unless it was produced in late 2007. That means all HD signals, over the air and satellite will have to go through the H20 box then to your TV.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #4

Scott..you said
Remember that you will only be able to get a limited number of HD channels via satellite. All the new channels are on sats 4 and 5 which no dome can get yet. However, you can get the 20 or so channels that existed before October of 2007, ESPN, HDNet, HBO etc.

I plan on NOT using my dome and using the slimline 5 lnb dish to avoid that problem...It looks like a direct HDMI cable is the way to do it .....for now....thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Larry,

Sorry about missing that detail in your post. That will be awesome.

Regarding the over the air input to the TV. First, each TV should have its own cable from the antenna run to it.

Second, and more importantly, if you get the H20, it should integrate the digital over the air channels. If you don't have an antenna feed to your satellite box you will have to run one. I just split the feed off the back of the front TV.

My batwing does a great job of receiving local digital/HD channels no matter where I'm at.

However, make sure before you buy the H20 you are buying has an over the air tuner. I just upgraded my DVR at home and the DirecTV model no longer has an input for over the air. I suspect the reason they do this is because they now sell local channels in HD.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #6

Does ANYONE know how to get to the back of my switchbox in my 06 Mountain Aire..with NO available cable slack, is it possible?? Will I have to remove all my components and shelves to get some slack??? Anybody ever done it/???
Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You need to buy a cable stretcher.

I don't have a MA so maybe it is laid out completely diffent. I do know in the back of my components/switch box some of the cable wraps are screwed to the side of the cabinet. For slack I would need to unscrew the bracket.

Also, are you able to stand on your dash and see behind the components. I have done this but, you will get a sore back standing slightly bent over while you work.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #8

My bundle of cables go up behind the shelves..in the center...It is impossible to pull the switchbox forward due to no slack...cant even get enough room to FEEL for connections..really a dumb install...apparently the cable slack was removed and cinched somewhere in the front cap....AFTER the box was installed and velcroed down...
Old 12-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I hate that stinking velcro.

I know they put it there to secure the components but, it is a pain to do any changes, additions or maintenance.

I've pulled it off the switch box and dvd player.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi foot doc

I eliminated the switch box altogether. The "Winegard bat wing antenna" will give you outstanding HD local channels with nothing but your Bravia HDTV-- use the VHF/UHF input on your bravia for the coax cable. My Bravia has to use "auto search for channels" in both analog and then in digital mode-- Two completely different channel searches!!

Use the three RCA cables-- red, white and yellow to connect the H-20, or H-21 satellite receiver to the Sony. Save the HDMI inputs for other "devices". I have mine connected to the back of the TV, just waiting for a "device" to be hooked up to it.
note: the Direct TV H-21 receiver has no "off Air" input. The H-20 does have this input.

I just installed two Westinghouse HDTV's in my rig. I chose Westinghouse because it has a built in "FRONT LOADING" DVD player. The picture in HD is outstanding. I am waiting until someone makes a five LNB automatic Domed antenna for my rig. Then I will replace the KVH dome.
Good luck Doc---
Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #11

Hi Max...I can't do that...my ol tv is analog only,...I guess Newmar got a good deal on them... so for off air HD I guess I can only go thru the H 20s ant input. And using the HDMI connection is so much better than the RCA cables, especially since I have no more goodies planned for in there. I just hope I will be able to easily aim the big slimline on my Bullseye...thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #12

Larry, I'm a little confused. On your first posting you stated you were wanting to use your Sony up front of the coach. On the last post you stated to Max that you couldn't do that because your ol tv is analog. Two weeks ago I installed the 32" Sony in my coach which has a KingDome in motion with H21 DirecTV DVR. I used the HDMI connection from receiver to tv, no other cable changes were made. When I want to watch HD TV with the remote, I change the input to HDMI-1. To watch cable or off air, I change the input to TV. That's all that's necessary and very simple to do to get the programming you're wanting. At this time DirecTV is only using satellite 101 & 110 for broadcasting HD. The KVD and KingDome can be programmed to pick up 101 & 110 by adding a switching device which can be purchased from KingDome. If I can be of any help, let me know.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #13

Tommy....You misunderstood...I DO have a HD tv but an analog off air tuner..I was inquiring about why I didnt get HD tv off air then found out about my tuner...I have an H 20 receiver on the way and will run the HDMI from it to the tv for a direct HD connection..I'm also going to try the slimline dish and see if I can keep it stable...I might try a counter weight on the rear of the dish as it is very front heavy...will help it maintain its elevation..time will tell..................