Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Head Lights

My husband and I enjoy traveling in our 05 Kountry Star. We always try to be in camp before dark but have found ourselves on the road after dark a couple of times. It seems the lights in our MH are not as bright as they should be. My husband is wondering if a bulb replacement would help and if so any ideas on a specific bulb. Thanks
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

It could also be as simple as incorrect headlight alignment....

While halogen bulbs can cloud, it's not really likely. Take one out and look at it.

Voltage might be an issue too. Make sure the bulbs are getting the full chassis battery voltage while the lights are ON. Measure the chassis battery voltage and then measure at the bulb socket with the bulb in place and on. It'll be a tad lower but should be close to the same.

Whiter bulbs are available (i.e. SilverLights) BUT, BUT, BUT, their life is a fraction of traditional halogen bulbs and they are expensive. Some folks think the whiter light appears brighter and that might be a benefit to you.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

While bulb replacement can help, you often end up with just minor improvement.

One thing that can help is adding auxiliary lights to the front of your motor home. I added a pair of PIAA lights to my Jeep and they can turn night into day. If you are travelling with other motorists, you must use them in 'low beam' mode, and with a touch of the switch, (no other motorists around) they go the 'high beam' mode.

The PIAA's are so bright, that when I pass the occasional street light, the light sensitive street lights shut off as they think the sun is coming up.

I am very careful of when I use the high beam and anyone thinking about purchasing these should do the same.

PIAA

Hope this helps.....................Rob
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

If you are not getting almost full battery voltage at the headlamps, consider wiring relays to get better voltage. Search on this site for instructions. I did just that and eliminated a problem I had with my headlight switch overheating and causing the lights to turn off with no warning. I also re-aimed my lights and that helped a lot. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #5

[QUOTE=ottffss;1089556]It could also be as simple as incorrect headlight alignment....

I agree! Before replacing any bulbs having a professional headlight alignment procedure done is the first and fundamental step to improving lighting for night driving. Had one heck of a time with my headlights and during my last yearly Pa. Inspection I had the mechanic align the headlights. On my most recent trek to Fl I had the opportunity to do several hours of night driving and the difference in my headlight performance was remarkable. The low beams converged in the center of the lane and the highs were aimed far down the road without lighting the tree tops. The procedure added $15.00 to my inspection bill and eliminated the need to purchase expensive bulbs which, by themselves, would have improved nothing.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good information in this thread on headlights http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/impr...on-112938.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #7

I have owned a few motorhomes and none of them have had decent headlights. I think the problem is the headlights are realitively close to the ground in relation the the driver and where you normally look , so if you adjust them up high enough to see on down the road you end up blinding other drivers. Good luck with a fix.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
I have owned a few motorhomes and none of them have had decent headlights. I think the problem is the headlights are realitively close to the ground in relation the the driver and where you normally look , so if you adjust them up high enough to see on down the road you end up blinding other drivers. Good luck with a fix.
I agree. Sometimes driving lights will help quite abit. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Auxiliary lights as mentioned are always a big help. Have you checked your headlight lenses to be sure they are not hazed over as well. This can cut down on lighting performance. If you find that they are there are plenty of kits that are available with a little of elbow grease to clear them back up again. Good Luck hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Alignment is key! Make sure the lenses are clean and not fogged.

Bought my used DP and got set to drive home. Checked lights and both low beams were burned out. Replaced with standard haolgen replacement bulbs. Left during the daytime, but was still 130 miles from home when the sun went down. Lights were so bad I almost didn't make it home. Actually stopped to make sure they were on once. I was on I-70 in Missouri with lots of traffic. Ran with the high beams, but it didn't help much. (driving lights didn't work)

After making it home I dove into the headlight problem.
Replaced the driving lights.
Got on-line and found a procedure to align the headlights.
Spent about 2 hours, after dark, aligning the headlights.
RV parked on level concrete, running, sitting at ride height.
Used a piece of plywood, duct tape and a saw horse for my aiming device.
Sat the plywood against the front of the rv and marked the center of the headlights on it, using the duct tape. Moved the plywood 25' away and propped it against the saw horse. Adjusted the headlights until the tops of the beams were hitting the centerline marks on the plywood.

Well, both lights were aimed to hit the pavement about 30' in front of the rv when I started. Getting them adjusted up to the correct line made ALL the difference. I can now see down the road just fine and when the high beams come on, they light up the road almost like daylight. Driving lights help even more.

Mike
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights