Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Headed South - draft issue

My wife and I, including a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 1 wk baby, are headed south. I am currently attending seminary and so is my wife. We are currently in Minnesota and are new to the RV world.

Right now, we have a draft coming in from the slide out where the couch and dining room table are, and we have noticed that it drops pretty quick after the heater is on.

I have re-caulked the windows and sealed the main door. But the draft from the couch is a problem in the slide out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills003 View Post
My wife and I, including a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 1 wk baby, are headed south. I am currently attending seminary and so is my wife. We are currently in Minnesota and are new to the RV world.

Right now, we have a draft coming in from the slide out where the couch and dining room table are, and we have noticed that it drops pretty quick after the heater is on.

I have re-caulked the windows and sealed the main door. But the draft from the couch is a problem in the slide out.

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you check the seals around the slide out? You may want to mention what brand and model you have so people can help you better.
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
With the slide extended look to see if there is a black rubber seal between the slide and Motorhome body. It should go all the way from one side, over the top, and down the other side. This is what seals the drafts out on a slide.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

We have occasionally not gotten the slide completely in tight against the coach.
Big Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
cmills003...
plz update the signature portion of your profile with info about your RV so we can be more help with your issue.

WELCOME TO IRV2.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #8

Angry sorry

We have been busy with a new baby and school. While heading south.

Our camper is a 2003 32' sportsman pull behind trailer. I am not sure the model, just the make. Some of the stickers are missing.

Anyhow, I can't find anywhere the draft comes through. I had read somewhere that small pipe insulaters can be used to seal the draft. It just seems to be coming from under the couch (inside) somewhere.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When the slides are out, check the corners where the slides meet the body of the coach. Check from the inside. We have had several RVs where I had to stuff rags in those corners to keep the drafts out. Also, if windy or very cold, place a couple of towels at the bottom and sides of the door (s).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

That is a camping trailer, so it will have leaks of air that you will have to find. It's probably nothing wrong, just the way it is.

Now, it can be fixed, but you'll just have to find the leak, and get some thicker gaskets or seals to seal off air leaks.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
When the slides are out, check the corners where the slides meet the body of the coach. Check from the inside. We have had several RVs where I had to stuff rags in those corners to keep the drafts out. Also, if windy or very cold, place a couple of towels at the bottom and sides of the door (s).
I actually do this with mine, each lower corner will show some light coming in because the rubber corners do not completely seal things off like the top and sides. I just shove some small rags in there and things are good to go, just remember to remove them when bringing slides in.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I actually do this with mine, each lower corner will show some light coming in because the rubber corners do not completely seal things off like the top and sides. I just shove some small rags in there and things are good to go, just remember to remove them when bringing slides in.
Same with mine.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #13

Talking Thanks

Yes, I know it is a trailer. I know that it will ave leaks, so I am just trying to get ideas. I was outside and couldn't really find where it was coming in. We are really knew to this whole thing, so we are complete newbs, and sometimes that is used as a derogatory word. But, we all start somewhere.

This is our story.

We sold out house in Battle Lake, MN and are currently attending Seminary in St. Paul MN. We had a third child and the apartments do not allow three kids to live in the apartment. Out other option then was to rent a house where we would have to pay 1300 and all utilities running us about 1500-1600. So, we purchased a 2003 Chevy Suburban and 2003 trailer to pull south. While we are south we will do work at churches that are in between pastors, and currently utilize lay persons. We will do it at a reduced rate for the church.

We love preaching the Word!

We are currently in Iowa, then moving to st. louis, and then florence alabama. This is a wild adventure.

We need ideas, help, tips and tricks. We are slowly learning, but that is slowly.

The place we are at has non-pottable water hookup as it is full of iron, but we have a filter that is inline. Will that filter the iron out?

Also, we were looking a skirts for the trailer. I like RV Skirtng Kits - No Drilling into the RV required but my wife prefers
Benchmark Foam: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Foam Manufacturer. Any input is welcome.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #14

Was I abandoned because I have a pull behind trailer and not an rv?