Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #1

Heading south

Hello, I am concerned about height clearance. I am in a 04 class A leaving Ma. on 95s through NY. to the FLA. keys. Can I do this or is there tolls, bridges etc. I cant fit under. My height is 11ft 4 inches to the top of the ac, Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi marcdohc,
Your height is no problem. Just get on I95 and fly south. Your propane will catch up with you when you get to Baltimore. Watch for the signs to take an alternate route around Baltimore. You can not go through the tunnels with propane.

Welcome to Florida. We enjoy all the snow birds.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As motor homes go, you're actually a 'shorty'.

We've been all over, with a succession of RVs 12 to 13' high. You'll be OK.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On 95 you'll have tolls in NY, NJ, DE & MD. I know you can take 95 from MA to FL but personally I wouldn't use only 95 until I got south of DC.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #5

Heading south the tolls aren't quite as bad cause they only charge northbound on the GW bridge but northbound it cost me $120 in tolls from Baltimore to Ct.GW bridge was$32 .If the weather is good I take 84 to 81 thru Pa and whatever route to Charlotte NC, Then down to 95. A little longer but I can buy a lot of fuel for $120.
BOB
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks, I will see you there!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Hello, I am concerned about height clearance. I am in a 04 class A leaving Ma. on 95s through NY. to the FLA. keys. Can I do this or is there tolls, bridges etc. I cant fit under. My height is 11ft 4 inches to the top of the ac, Thanks for your help.
marcdohc,
We are heading same way and same route real soon. We do so every year and yes there are tolls and yes there is traffic. Watch your signage and you will be fine.

If you do not have an EZ-Pass or Trans-Pass I might suggest one. Not only are there reduced rates at certain spots, the lines are much shorter for you at many toll booths.

We are 12'-3" and have never had an issue. (I still watch the signs pretty close).

We have better luck with the Tapan Zee Bridge rather than GW. 287 around and back down to 95 in NJ works better for us. Everybody has their twist but that's what works for us.

Are you driving straight thru or hunkering down beside the road somewhere? Leaving Maine we stop in North East Maryland Flyn-J first night and Pedro's second night. That puts us in a spot to take on water the second night. We leave Maine winterized and run for the sun.

Feel free to PM if you have any additional questions.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
why 95 much easier route through the poconos an no tolls or traffic re hit 95 in virginia
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
why 95 much easier route through the poconos an no tolls or traffic re hit 95 in virginia
In the warmer months I'd agree...
but in January I can't recommend going far from I-95...
especially when the final destination is still along I-95.

would this NY marc be a MSF ERC instructor by any chance?
has he ever had a NOE crab roll?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

That is why I said if the weather is good.The roads are all 4 lane so unless it is snowing or predicted I see no problem.Fighting traffic in the big cities and sitting in traffic jams can get frustrating .It is a little further but usually faster.
BOB
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
If you're on interstates, don't worry about height. At 11'-4, you will have no problem if you see 18-wheelers on the road - you will easily fit anywhere they will. Most 18-wheelers are 13 to 13'-6 high, and most motorhomes and larger 5th wheels are 12 to 13' high.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We don't hit 95 until Fredericksburg Va but is is clear sailing from there to the Keys. Like paz I watch for 18 wheelers. If they fit we fit. If they hit I stop

A Sun Pass is a good idea if you plan to use the Fl turnpike. The "mini's" are $4.99 and you get a $5 credit for tolls. They are the size if a credit card, not much thicker and stick to your window. Takes less than a day to activate so if you plan to stop in northern Fl you can get one at a drug store in the morning, call with your CC number and have it ready that night. Some of the toll plazas you only have to slow down to 55 to go through.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i agree bob thats the road to go i only hit one toll doing that an its in conn ! i love that there is no traffic jams either ! ive drove it even in the snow its still worth it imo ! be safe